Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My "new-to-me" JTV-59

I said in a previous post that I would put up a pic of my JTV-59 that I got recently.  It has Seymour Duncan Slash pickup set in it, and sounds phenomenal.  I love how good the modeling sounds, and the awesome options in alternate tunings.  My Fender/Roland VG Strat cannot do half of what this can, nor near as good.

Pic is not that good due to all the reflections it picked up in the finish.  I'll take some more down the road if anyone is interested.  I tried to upload the photo directly to the post, but it failed every time (wondering if it's due to my newbness on the forums).  Sorry for the free Photobucket watermark, but if you click it, you should go to the real pic in Photobucket.  Thanks for lookin',

Todd

JTV-59%20Pic%201.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Tru-Blu said:

I said in a previous post that I would put up a pic of my JTV-59 that I got recently.  It has Seymour Duncan Slash pickup set in it, and sounds phenomenal.  I love how good the modeling sounds, and the awesome options in alternate tunings.  My Fender/Roland VG Strat cannot do half of what this can, nor near as good.

Pic is not that good due to all the reflections it picked up in the finish.  I'll take some more down the road if anyone is interested.  I tried to upload the photo directly to the post, but it failed every time (wondering if it's due to my newbness on the forums).  Sorry for the free Photobucket watermark, but if you click it, you should go to the real pic in Photobucket.  Thanks for lookin',

Todd

JTV-59%20Pic%201.jpg

Upload these on your JTV, you will find it even better. Need to sign up first, though https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24065.0

• Like 1

Congrats on the newest family member!  Pretty dang useful guitars.  Seymour pups always welcome in my axes.  We all know Slash can shred but Seymour is a helluva player too and knows pickups.  

I think worthwhile upgrading stock tuners to Hipshot UMP locking tuners.  Better tuners and locking function helps simplify string changes on 59's.  UMP is fairly "kitchen table" installation.  

Coming from Fender/G&L background I added LP pick guards to both 59's I play.  Minor massaging and drilling involved but it was the only way for me to be truly comfortable holding an arch top guitar form.  As for the shorter scale length - 'just had to suck it up...

Thanks, Jersey - I did install some locking tuners on it.  They're imports, but are a direct fit for the existing holes and have a 19:1 ratio.  I have these on a couple of other guitars I have, and they've done pretty well for me.  The guitar came with the Seymour Duncan pickups in it - I know I would have been happy with just the stocks if they were available.  Only other thing I plan on doing is to install some strap locks, and she'll be done.  Very minor in terms of mods, but that's the beauty of this beast - it doesn't need much to complete it.  The seller didn't include the USB module for connecting to the computer to do flash updates through Monkey.  He confirmed that he has it, though - so I'm hoping that he'll be willing to send it if I pay for shipping.  I tried updating through my Helix, and wasn't successful (although Workbench HD works just fine) with using the VDI.  Good news is that the guitar is at 2.21, so it's pretty much up-to-date for now.

@Arislaf - I'm already a member of vguitarforums.com due to my Fender/Roland VG5 and Carvin SH575's, so I'll definitely check out what you recommended.

Thanks,

Todd

• Upvote 1