Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Settings: Global Vs Per String Vs Preset

Is there a difference in how these three places affect the quality of the tone?

I was getting some borderline distortion in a lot of models originally so I lowered the settings by 8db on the global settings and it seemed like it improved the quality of the acoustics as well as some other models that seemed to be a little too hot.

If I need to raise some presets back up I was wondering if the per preset slider, per string settings and the global settings are changing the same characteristic of the model or not....

Is there a pre and post gain staging potential thing at work where you are boosting after Piezo but before the model with one and boosting after the model using the other etc.

What is the difference about global that percent volume of strings?

I don't know, maybe none. My question/concern is where in the signal path do these different adjustments create gain if at all...

I'm wondering if there is a possibility we are overdriving one into another if we raise one early in the path too high relative to another one further down stream.

I don't know, maybe none. My question/concern is where in the signal path do these different adjustments create gain if at all...

I'm wondering if there is a possibility we are overdriving one into another if we raise one early in the path too high relative to another one further down stream.

I thought that the GLOBAL STRING level was just a way to get a base level for all models in one place and that its there to allow you to control any discrepancies between the output volumes of each piezo on each string.  I know someone mentioned in some post that piezo outputs can vary by as much as 25% so there is obviously a need to adjust your string volume globally for each individual JTV. 

Then after that, if you want to change the characteristics of any particular model, you can then adjust the string volumes for that model only, and those adjustments would be relative to the base level set by the GLOBAL STRING volumes.

So I think they apply the global settings first and then apply any adjustments that may have been made to string volume for each model.

That's what makes sense to me, but I don't know for sure if that is exactly how it is implemented in the JTV.      

Is there a difference in how these three places affect the quality of the tone?

I was getting some borderline distortion in a lot of models originally so I lowered the settings by 8db on the global settings and it seemed like it improved the quality of the acoustics as well as some other models that seemed to be a little too hot.

If I need to raise some presets back up I was wondering if the per preset slider, per string settings and the global settings are changing the same characteristic of the model or not....

Is there a pre and post gain staging potential thing at work where you are boosting after Piezo but before the model with one and boosting after the model using the other etc.

Hi, I'm not sure if this applies to the new HD firmware, but back then, global string volume DID affect tone. Very much.

It acted basically like the preamp between the piezo input and before the modeling occures.

How I discovered this is that when adjusting the string volumes it affected tonal aspects, most specifically on the sitar model.

The sitar model does the drone sound through some type of filter, and that filter is applied by listening to the attack of the strings.

When I lowered the string volume, the sitar model had a harder time applying the effect. The less string volume, the less of the drone effect. It basically sounded like a regular guitar if you pushed the volume down really far.

While the global string volume acted as a preamp before the modeling stage, your level sliders on the patches is more of a post-volume. It will not affect the tone besides the output level and mix level if you're adjusting the levels of 2 pickups being on.

The only time this affects your tone is when you push the level so hard it starts clipping. I suppose you can use this to fake high gain pickups but it sounds like crap clean, unless you back your volume knob down.

I hope this helps. Like I said, I have no clue if this still happens in the new HD firmware since the HD firmware is absolutely a different system than the previous 1.9 firmware and all the way back.