Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Out The Box- Stuck In Flash Update Mode :(

LisaEhren

My M13 is straight out of the box and when i plug it in and turn it on it says "Flash Update Mode... awaiting command"

The FX3 and FX4 don't light up...

I tried doing afactory reset, but because FX4 isn't on, i can't get it to do it.

Creepiest thing was after giving up because i didn't have time to deal with it for a few weeks, I take it out today and it magically all turns on!  Everything is working!  All 4 EFX, i'm playing around with the various settings...

I take it to band practice and BAM...  back to the way it was... "FLash Update Mode"

I'm really frustrated. All the feeds i've come across aren't helping me and I don't know what fluke made it work briefly earlier today, but it's stuck.

I've never hooked it up to midi/interface for updates... It's out of the box!  I believe it said version 2.01...  maybe it was 2.04. 

Thanks!

So it seems to me that you have two options. The first would be to exchange this for another unit. The other would be to try to install the firmware update. There isn't a major difference from 2.01 to 2.04. 2.04 really dealt mainly with a bug that was causing some units to power cycle. Honestly, I'd be inclined to exchange it, but if you have a USB to MIDI adapter, doing the update isn't a big deal. It takes like 10 minutes.

Thanks :).  I tried the update... It lit up like it was doing it... Seemed to be working BUT when it was done, it just stayed in Flash Update Mode....

I'm going to try it with just a midi cable going out from the interface and in to the M13... Some posts suggested that helps.

I bought the unit last year from Sweetwater and i just got too busy to deal with it... and started borrowing a bandmates mutli effects pedal to tide me over.

I doubt i can exchange it at this point... It's my bad for waiting so damn long... I just didn't think it wouldn't work!

I may have to call them or call Line 6 because this is just ridiculously frustrating....

Holding down the buttons suggested for the reset don't help either, unless they are incorrect.. ?

• 7 months later...

...I now have the same issue.  Went through the update (at least I thought I did - the FX1 screen showed that it was downloading the files), finished, and it rebooted...however, it just continues to click and does not startup.  I tape the 'Model Select' knob on FX4 and then occasionally FX1...after a minute or so FX1 and FX2 light up and I am back at square one all over again (flash update mode waiting command).  I installed 2.04.  It says that I had 2.0b (not sure if what the b means)...

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought an M13 today (so excited). Got home plugged it in and it did exactly what you are describing (so disappointed). Turned it off and on again..... same, repeat.......same.plugged in my usb midi and tried to update with midi ox....... nothing. Turned off then on..... nothing. Plugged in my Audiobox USB to use it's midi. Had to download the drivers for the audiobox. While I was waiting I had the crazy idea to unplug the power and turn the M13 on to make sure anything internal that could be was electrically discharged. Replugged the power and turned it on, got a different sequence of lights on starting up but still no dice. Progress! After repeating the process a few times of unplug power and turn on (without power cable connected) then replugging power and turning on it is now 100% functional. I am currently updating to firmware 2.04.00 (it was originally saying v0.02b or sum such on the second screen while it wasn't working) but so far that seems to have woken this thing up and got it out of it's coma. It just finished the update and rebooted itself perfectly.

I think i  accidentally double posted my last thing. Anyhow M13 worked for an hor and now has gone back to what appears to be the factory boot screen. Screen 1 says Flash Update Mode, Waiting Command.... 2nd screen says Factory Boot V0.02.0b. this second screen makes me think that the firmware chip is either not seated/soldered properly or is in need of replacement. My M13 was manufactured sometime in 2005 (there is a signature and date of factory inspection on the back) but it is brand new from the store and I only just bought it today. T

Hold down Model Select Button for FX2 while you switch the power on. If you are getting stuck in the Flash Update Mode on power up it's because the model select button for FX1 is sticking in the down position. Holding the same button for FX3 lets you adjust the leds (this is actually in the faq and is what made me think hey what if i try that with the other select buttons). I haven't tried FX4 model select to see what it does.

• 11 months later...

my m13 is doing the exact same thing as the OP has stated. I have sent Line 6 a message but I'm not holding my breath for a solution. Does anyone have a solution for this year old thread??

Upon powering up fx1 and fx2 are lit, with the text "flash update mode waiting command" showing. no buttons or knobs are functional. I have not attempted an update or hooked this up to any midi or USB or anything... essentially out of the box. anyone?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I searched for this just now and see it's an ongoing problem. The M5 seems to be very sensitive to its power supply. Mine works fine with the Line 6 supplied adapter, but a new Snark produces this exact symptom. I was hoping to be able to share the supply between a couple pedals but the M5 is picky. (It does seem to work if I use the Line 6 supply to a couple pedals, but then I need a backup L6 supply - $$.)

• 11 months later...