Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp MIDI Previous/Next Preset

revans

In HX Stomp, I am using the footswitches in Stomp mode, FS3 as Stomp 3, and a Mission Helix Expression Pedal in the EXP 1/2 | FS4/5 jack.

What are the MIDI CC messages for Previous Preset and  Next Preset?

2 hours ago, revans said:

In HX Stomp, I am using the footswitches in Stomp mode, FS3 as Stomp 3, and a Mission Helix Expression Pedal in the EXP 1/2 | FS4/5 jack.

What are the MIDI CC messages for Previous Preset and  Next Preset?

Yeah . . . there isn't one. You can buy Midi controllers that essentially mimic this effect by automaticaly sending the program one number below or above your current program, but the Stomp doesn't have a next or previous midi message, which while common to midi . . . seems dumb. 

The closest it seems you can come is to send the midi command to change from stomp mode to preset select mode, and then use the Stomp to cycle up or down, then again midi back to stomp mode (or snapshot mode). 

22 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Yeah . . . there isn't one. You can buy Midi controllers that essentially mimic this effect by automaticaly sending the program one number below or above your current program, but the Stomp doesn't have a next or previous midi message, which while common to midi . . . seems dumb. 

The closest it seems you can come is to send the midi command to change from stomp mode to preset select mode, and then use the Stomp to cycle up or down, then again midi back to stomp mode (or snapshot mode). 

I've seen a few folks on Youtube changing the presets of the Stomp via a Midi Controller. It would be insanely wrong to not be able to change the presets via Midi...

1 minute ago, adinelb said:

I've seen a few folks on Youtube changing the presets of the Stomp via a Midi Controller. It would be insanely wrong to not be able to change the presets via Midi...

No, YOU CAN, but MIdi controllers typically have an inbuilt program that allows for it. It's not an actual stomp command.  What they're really doing is saying something akin to:

"Change to Present Stomp Preset + 1" or "Change to Present Stomp Preset -1". 

It's not actually a specific Stomp command. That's standard for most midi devices. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, adinelb said:

Preset up and down is kind of an odd command to have a MIDI CC for, but it could be added. It’s like @Kilrahi is saying - you’re using a MIDI controller that sends PCs, so you can conceivably always bring up any preset you want with the controller anyway. The Disaster Area Designs DMC.micro works like you’re wanting in Preset Mode or Device Mode.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

No, YOU CAN, but MIdi controllers typically have an inbuilt program that allows for it. It's not an actual stomp command.  What they're really doing is saying something akin to:

"Change to Present Stomp Preset + 1" or "Change to Present Stomp Preset -1". 

It's not actually a specific Stomp command. That's standard for most midi devices. 

Now I got your point! Yeah, you're totally right. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

What I did for this was use CC52 and CC53 which emulate FS4 and FS5 (page 49 in manual). I then set FS4 and FS5 in the HX Stomp settings to bank up and down.  This lets me keep the Stomp in snapshot mode and use external midi to bank the presets up and down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 9:12 PM, danmessick said:

What I did for this was use CC52 and CC53 which emulate FS4 and FS5 (page 49 in manual). I then set FS4 and FS5 in the HX Stomp settings to bank up and down.  This lets me keep the Stomp in snapshot mode and use external midi to bank the presets up and down.

That’s great... I was just noticing there was no cc# listed for this.  Thanks!

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, romanweibu said:

But if i'm right (it's a bit out of topic...) there ist no midi cc to select directly a specific preset (there would be enough values for every preset)?

If you want to select a specific preset, you'd send the PC associated with that preset.

• 7 months later...

Just recently, I ended up getting a MIDI Baby 3 from Disaster Area Designs with an external two-button footswitch. Since I have a Mission Helix Expression Pedal in the EXP 1/2 | FS4/5 jack, I can't use CC52 and CC53 which emulate FS4 and FS5, and set FS4 and FS5 to preset up and down.

I have programmed the MIDI Baby 3's two external footswitches to count up and down across the PC numbers of the HX Stomp presets I use live.

Two of the MIDI Baby 3 built-in footswitches are programmed to use CC104 and CC105 to turn on and off two HX Stomp effect blocks. The third (middle) MIDI Baby 3 built-in footswitch is programmed as a tap-tempo/tuner footswitch.

Because each HS Stomp preset loads with the effects switched off, when the two external footswitches change the HX Stomp preset, they are also programmed to reset the two MIDI Baby 3 footswitches that turn on and off two HX Stomp effect blocks.

The three HX Stomp built-in footswitches are configured as FS1, FS2, and FS3, and I use them to switch between compressor and overdrive, change the amp model drive level from low to high, and change the output from low to high.

I run both a guitar and a keyboard into separate inputs and outputs of the HX Stomp, and I connect the HX Stomp MIDI output to my Powercab Plus MIDI input to select a matching Powercab preset whenever the HX Stomp preset is changed.

I will probably add a second external two-button footswitch to the MIDI Baby 3 to turn on and off two more effects once HX Stomp firmware 3.0 adds more blocks. Or maybe I'll get a Morningstar MC6.

PXL_20201007_020234754.jpg

Would it be possible to get the sysex file for your midibaby3 settings? I would like to do a similar setup.  Ive been having trouble programming mine. On MB3 I have left/right foot switch for presets up/down which wigs out sometimes and goes back to preset 1... Center foot switch is tuner/tap tempo. I would like to use other 2 foot switch pedal for stomp 4/5 effects on/off

minirig.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks @revans!  I just ordered a Midi Baby 3 to use with my HX Stomp and came across this thread and your sysex file.  I'm no pro with MIDI, so I appreciate the "head start".  I even have the same Beat Loop two-button external footswitch as the one in your photo.

One thing that initially confused me, however, is it looks like you plugged the Beat Loop into the MIDI Baby 3 instead of the HX Stomp.  I didn't realize this was even possible!  Of course, you have to program it to send MIDI commands, so it's not like you can use it like "FS6" and "FS7".  But you still get FS1 through FS5 to turn things on and off, plus tap tempo/tuner, plus an expression pedal!  I hope this all works with Helix 3.0, though they should not have messed with the preexisting MIDI assignments, I would think.

The only thing I might do differently is something with snapshots.  I use an IR block (which is much more feasible now that we have 8 blocks to work with).  So, while you cannot switch amp models with snapshots, you could set up three snapshots where each you have like a Vox Alnico, a vintage Fender, and a Marshall/Celestion flavor, each with different gain and EQ settings on the amp.  In fact, if the Midi Baby 3 did nothing else but switch between snapshots, I could just skip the expression pedal and still have 4 footswitches plus a tap/tuner button.  If set up properly, that would be quite a bit of tonal flexibility without having to touch any of the knobs or buttons on the Stomp.

• Like 1

@StormJH1, I now have two pairs of external footswitches connected to the MIDI Baby 3.

The two external footswitches on the left count up and down across the PC numbers of the HX Stomp presets I use live and they reset the MIDI Baby 3 footswitches that turn effect blocks on and off.

Two of the MIDI Baby 3 built-in footswitches and the two external footswitches on the right turn four HX Stomp effect blocks on and off using the "Block Bypass via MIDI" method from page 59 of the HX Stomp manual.

The middle MIDI Baby 3 built-in footswitch is for tap-tempo/tuner.

The three HX Stomp built-in footswitches are configured as FS1, FS2, and FS3. They switch between compressor and overdrive, change the amp model drive level from low to high, and change the output from low to high.

The Mission Helix Expression Pedal is plugged into in the EXP 1/2 FS4/5 jack. It is normally a volume pedal for my keyboard. Its footswitch changes it into a wah for my guitar.

Guitar and keyboard go through separate inputs and outputs of the HX Stomp.

The HX Stomp MIDI output goes to my Powercab Plus to select a matching Powercab preset whenever the HX Stomp preset is changed.

I've switched to the smaller Truetone 1SPOT power supply and I keep my Line 6 power supply in my spares bag.

PXL_20210311_214813526.jpg

15 hours ago, revans said:

@StormJH1, I now have two pairs of external footswitches connected to the MIDI Baby 3.

The two external footswitches on the left count up and down across the PC numbers of the HX Stomp presets I use live and they reset the MIDI Baby 3 footswitches that turn effect blocks on and off.

Two of the MIDI Baby 3 built-in footswitches and the two external footswitches on the right turn four HX Stomp effect blocks on and off using the "Block Bypass via MIDI" method from page 59 of the HX Stomp manual.

The middle MIDI Baby 3 built-in footswitch is for tap-tempo/tuner.

The three HX Stomp built-in footswitches are configured as FS1, FS2, and FS3. They switch between compressor and overdrive, change the amp model drive level from low to high, and change the output from low to high.

The Mission Helix Expression Pedal is plugged into in the EXP 1/2 FS4/5 jack. It is normally a volume pedal for my keyboard. Its footswitch changes it into a wah for my guitar.

Guitar and keyboard go through separate inputs and outputs of the HX Stomp.

The HX Stomp MIDI output goes to my Powercab Plus to select a matching Powercab preset whenever the HX Stomp preset is changed.

I've switched to the smaller Truetone 1SPOT power supply and I keep my Line 6 power supply in my spares bag.

PXL_20210311_214813526.jpg

That's great!  Thanks for responding and nice work on the evolution of your board.  Our goals are slightly different - your emphasis is on live play and handling different instruments, I'm more of a home hobbyist looking for ease of access to a variety of guitar tones.  Some of the space occupied by your sustain pedal and the Mission expression pedal would be occupied by 1-3 mini effects pedals (mostly drives), or possibly Digitech Jamman Looper.  I bought the pedal looper before exploring all of these different control possibilities with MIDI, but I still think it has some additional features over the relatively basic looper built into Stomp. 

A couple of observations about the use of the MIDI Baby 3:

(1) The ability to hook up TWO additional footswitch units to the MB3 is a very powerful feature.  I sort of stumbled into the MB3 over a Jet Micro or Morningstar MC3 for price, size, and other factors.  But I hadn't appreciated what those extension jacks can do to add flexibility.  Really cool.

(2) While I'm looking at snapshots as a possibility for switching between different amp/cab settings on the fly, the idea of being able to switch PRESETS with a footswitch is starting to appeal to me more and more, given that some of the HX Stomp knobs feel a little wonky to me.  I don't think anything is wrong with my unit (yet), but they don't always respond the way I'd like them to when switching presets (or changing effects settings).  It would be nice to only use the knobs for changing settings, and the footswitches would allow me to change presets, etc. while I'm actually playing without bending over to the ground every time!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StormJH1 said:

(2) While I'm looking at snapshots as a possibility for switching between different amp/cab settings on the fly, the idea of being able to switch PRESETS with a footswitch is starting to appeal to me more and more, given that some of the HX Stomp knobs feel a little wonky to me.  I don't think anything is wrong with my unit (yet), but they don't always respond the way I'd like them to when switching presets (or changing effects settings).  It would be nice to only use the knobs for changing settings, and the footswitches would allow me to change presets, etc. while I'm actually playing without bending over to the ground every time!

With MIDI Baby 3, a footswitch can cycle through presets within a range of preset numbers. My footswitch cycles through presets from 11 to 15.

If you only need to cycle through a small number of presets, you can do it with just one footswitch. When you are at the highest numbered preset, hitting the footswitch will cycle back to the lowest numbered preset.

If you want to be able to cycle up and down through your presets, use one footswitch to select the next preset and another footswitch to select the previous preset.

Ahhh, okay.  So I tried using @revans's as a template and moving some functions around, but mine was doing something similar to what @robgeneralli complained about earlier in the thread - it worked sometimes, but then would jump to the wrong preset on an up/down command, almost as if it was picking up from the wrong count.

I looked at the setup again, and it looks like you send three messages at once, such that there commands to reset the left and right counters back to "0" with each message.  I think I about 90% understand that, and it seems to explain what mine was not doing.  

It's not really mentioned in this thread, but the MB3 has some issues - the LED's basically do not function properly, and Disaster Area had some COVID-related delays in getting their editor updated such that they can release v9 firmware that supposedly addresses some or all of the issues.  

But for $130, it has some much potential as a Stomp controller because not only does it add 3 switches, but it acts almost like an external footswitch "splitter" with those two extra inputs that can feed in additional switches or expression pedals.  I use my Stomp all the time, but just want to get to the point where I am comfortable enough with the setup to anchor everything down to a pedal board and leave things where they are!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StormJH1 said:

I looked at the setup again, and it looks like you send three messages at once, such that there commands to reset the left and right counters back to "0" with each message.  I think I about 90% understand that, and it seems to explain what mine was not doing. 

The MIDI Baby 3 ON-OFF switches start in the OFF state. Pressing a switch changes its state from OFF to ON and then from ON to OFF. All of my presets start with effects (except compression) in the OFF state. Pressing a switch changes the switch from OFF to ON and sends a message to turn an effect ON. When using a switch to change presets, all the effects in the next preset will be off so the preset switch also sets all the ON-OFF switches to off, matching the new preset. At least that's what happens sometimes.

20 hours ago, StormJH1 said:

It's not really mentioned in this thread, but the MB3 has some issues - the LED's basically do not function properly, and Disaster Area had some COVID-related delays in getting their editor updated such that they can release v9 firmware that supposedly addresses some or all of the issues.  

I agree. I have found that the programming of the MIDI Baby 3 doesn't always have the intended results. The ON-OFF switches are not always reset to OFF by the commands executed by the preset change switches. I have tried many variations of the programming but have not been able to get a perfect result. I am hoping that a firmware update will fix the bugs.

The Morningstar MC3 looks like a better product except for size. I like the lower height of the MIDI Baby 3.

Something strange is happening.  When I boot up the HX Stomp with the Midi Baby 3 connected, all of the single press functions seem to work.  The FS4 & FS5 toggles (for effects blocks) continue to work and are rock solid.

But the long press commands on L & R buttons of the MB3 work intermittently, and will occasionally "freeze" up some of those corresponding features on the Stomp.  I find that if I start on preset 000, I can cycle to 001, and maybe 002, but then a long press will either do nothing or require multiple triggers to get it to work.  On occasion, if I'm starting on preset 003, a long press on the MB3's right footswitch (my "preset up" command) will sometimes send it back to 001 (as if it is starting from 000). 

Also, the short press functions on the MB3 are supposed to select snapshots, and they do, except they seem to freeze up and then not allow you to change snapshots at some point.  I'm really at a loss, and clearly out of my league with MIDI programming.

I'm thinking that Snapshots are mostly unnecessary for my workflow, so I could do without that.  At this point, I just want 5 additional one-press buttons and my expression pedal.  I'm hoping it's just my wonky long-press commands for preset switching that is messing everything up.  At the very least, I want to see this work with your template or one of the other ones I found online, even if it's not my preferred setup.

So, with "Block Bypass via MIDI", I can use that to trigger blocks on and off separate from having to use FS1 thru FS5, is that correct?  If so, maybe I could just assign FS4 and FS5 to Preset Up/Down and sacrifice those two.  I definitely want the Stomp itself to be in "Stomp Mode" (showing FS1, FS2, and FS3), and I would prefer to leave FS3 as the Tap/Tuner, since I am sort of use to that red flashing light and the ability to touch the button to view tempo settings.  But mostly, I just want this to work, and am a little surprised I'm having this much difficulty.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Okay, I tried out @revans's MB3 file and it works like charm!  Even the LED's are working!  I was even able to change the range of presets - I think that's a much better idea to have an option of 5-10 to cycle through quickly, and then I can always use the Stomp itself to audition others.

So, in my setup, HX Stomp's 3 buttons are now FS1, FS2, & FS3.  That's 5 blocks in total that I can bypass, adding in the bypass triggers on the 2 outer buttons of the Midi Baby 3.  That's plenty.

BUT, the one "problem" I have now is that I would probably best be served by adding one more of those BeatLoop dual footswitches (as you did), since FS4 and FS5 are totally unused right now.  I probably want FS5 as a toggle button for my (non-Mission) expression pedal, in case I want to use a wah or adjust other parameters.  FS4 could be a level/EQ booster.  The "Bypass over MIDI" is a great feature, but FS1-5 are more powerful, as they can be mapped not only to bypass, but to multiple parameters across different effects.  For example, I have a "U2 patch" that has dual modulated delays, but I want a more percussive sound when the delays are on, and a increased reverb when they are off...footswitches can do that!

A big thank you to @revans for making his settings available and for your hand-holding through the changes.  Hope you have an excellent rest of your week, man.

• Like 1

So, in my setup, HX Stomp's 3 buttons are now FS1, FS2, & FS3.  That's 5 blocks in total that I can bypass, adding in the bypass triggers on the 2 outer buttons of the Midi Baby 3.  That's plenty.

...FS1-5 are more powerful, as they can be mapped not only to bypass, but to multiple parameters across different effects.

Agreed! I use the HX Stomp's three buttons as FS1, FS2, and FS3 and I use one to switch between compressor and overdrive, one to toggle between input gain settings on the amp model, and one to toggle between two output levels as a boost.

All the external switches are:

- 1 switches for tap/tuner

- 2 switches for preset up and down

- 4 switches for effect bypass

I can't use FS4 and FS5 because I am using the Mission Helix Expression Pedal plugged into in the EXP1/2 FS4/5 jack.

8 hours ago, StormJH1 said:

But the long press commands on L & R buttons of the MB3 work intermittently, and will occasionally "freeze" up some of those corresponding features on the Stomp.

I only use long-press on one external switch, the MIDI Baby 3 center switch, to toggle the tuner on and off, and it works fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, revans said:

I only use long-press on one external switch, the MIDI Baby 3 center switch, to toggle the tuner on and off, and it works fine.

Mine works fine too because it's the same setup as yours, haha.  I had originally hoped to leave FS3 as my Tempo/Tuner button because I used the "touch" functionality of the button to view the BPM setting (or fine tune it).   There's another button combo that gets you there involving the smaller buttons, but I don't recall it right now.

One suggestion I made to Line 6 on TGP was to give us a home screen display of the BPM with some of the dead space on the display, but that still isn't available.  Of course, if you set your delays to milliseconds instead of according to BPM, I guess it might not even matter to you.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I believe I know how to program midi PC commands. I have an HX Effects and an HX Stomp. I want to select HX Stomp presets when I select presets in the HX Effects. I have set the PC command in Effects to the correct number for the Stomp preset I want but it doesn’t select it. In troubleshooting I discovered that no matter what I do, the Stomp preset selected ALWAYS corresponds to the same numbered Effects preset. So preset #1 in Effects selects preset #1 in Stomp, #2 selects #2, etc. Most of these Effects presets have no midi function turned on.

Any ideas?

BTW, clock sync works. 

11 hours ago, ajone112apple said:

I believe I know how to program midi PC commands. I have an HX Effects and an HX Stomp. I want to select HX Stomp presets when I select presets in the HX Effects. I have set the PC command in Effects to the correct number for the Stomp preset I want but it doesn’t select it. In troubleshooting I discovered that no matter what I do, the Stomp preset selected ALWAYS corresponds to the same numbered Effects preset. So preset #1 in Effects selects preset #1 in Stomp, #2 selects #2, etc. Most of these Effects presets have no midi function turned on.

Any ideas?

BTW, clock sync works. 

On the HX Effects, go to Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo>MIDI PC Tx and set it to Off. This turns off the default PC message that’s sent when you select a preset.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 7:18 PM, revans said:

If you only need to cycle through a small number of presets, you can do it with just one footswitch. When you are at the highest numbered preset, hitting the footswitch will cycle back to the lowest numbered preset.

May I ask how to do this exactly?

I mean: how can I reduce to "a small number of presets"?

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2021 at 4:57 AM, Elephantstomp said:

May I ask how to do this exactly?

I mean: how can I reduce to "a small number of presets"?

Sorry for the late reply.

When you are configuring the MIDI Baby 3 buttons to increment and decrement the PC number, you set the starting and ending numbers. If a button is incrementing the PC number and the current number is the ending number, pressing the button will loop back around to the starting number. If a button is decrementing the PC number and the current number is the starting number, pressing the button will loop back around to the ending number.

My starting and ending PC numbers are 10 and 14.

One of my buttons increments the numbers like this: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 10, 11, etc.

Another one of my buttons decrements the numbers like this: 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 14, 13, etc.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It's an old topic here, but i was looking for the midi command to change preset. The midi command is not in the manual, but it is Midi CC 72. 0 for preset down, 127 for preset up. It work on my end with helix stomp version 3.5. I think, in version 3.0 the midi command was not there, because it's missing in the 3.0 manual.

Hello revans,

would you mind explaining how exactly you "set the starting and ending numbers" in the midi baby 3 editor?

I have the mb3 now as well and couldn´t get it done to loop back around to the starting number.

I like to loop between Hx stomp presets 094 to 106.

That would be great :)

SOLVED!

Got it...I had to choose "count and send" (within midi baby 3 editor).

There I found "start and end" for looping presets.

• 6 months later...

I am using a One Control Basilisk, 4 button MIDI controller, with my Stomp XL to provide Preset Next/Previous and Snapshot Next/Previous switches.

The helixhelp.com site has a MIDI document that list a CC=72 command to increment and decrement the Preset.  This is NOT listed in the Stomp User Manual. 

I also use the CC=69 command to increment/decrement the Snapshot.

To assure a known starting point If the Preset does not default to Snapshot 1, I found it necessary to set the Snapshot=1 when incrementing/decrementing the Preset. This works only if I insert a delay slot in the CC list.  Is this expected behavior in some instances?

The pdf shows my programming for the 4 buttons.

HX Stomp XL MIDI.pdf