Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp + Bluguitar Amp1 -

adinelb

Hello friend!

I'm about to buy a HX Stomp and I want to merge its capabilities with the Bluguitar Amp1.

So, how do you get along with these 2 great products?

I want to run the bluguitar amp 1 trough the FX Loop of the hx stomp, use it as the amp simulation, and then, put some effects in fn the front + some IR's from the Helix.

But I have a problem with the channel switching. 

If i want to change the channel of the Amp 1 and turn on/ off some of the effects in Snapshot mode, how do I do that?

Far as I know, the HX Stomp doesn't have amp switching capabilities like its bigger brothers LT/Rack/ Standard Helix. 

Otherwise, I would like to know how are you guys using them together! Maybe I'll run the Stomp in the loop chain of the Amp1. 

But for this kind of operation, it would get way too expensive because i'll have to buy an external Midi Switcher.

In any case, I'll buy this month the HX stomp and maybe will convince me that I don't need to buy the Amp 1 for a good sound. For now, the youtube videos, did not conviced me with it's clean capabilities. Maybe some good IR's will made up my mind. 

Just as a fact. I'll use it in live situations with a Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop 60's reissue - Luna Stone True Overdrive  and a vintage BOSS GE10 (for the moment, I'll run the eq in the loop FX of the Helix).

Thank you for your atention

You're correct about the Stomp. Tragically, it does not function much as a midi hub. It will take midi messages, and forward those on to other devices. That's still helpful, but beyond just regurgitating what it did (such as a program change) it can't do much more. 

Interesting thoughts on qualities of a clean mode. Clean settings (IMHO) is something any modeler had better be able to do worth its salt because at its most basic that's just amplifying the guitar's signal. The HX Stomp can knock that out of the park as well as anything, but I guess you'll have to decide.

Finally, because I trust the Stomp both for distortion, clean, or whatever, I don't recommend connecting it to ANY traditional amp if you have a choice. I'm very much of the flat response speaker persuasion. 

With that said, if you were to connect it to the BlueGuitar Amp1 then I would suggest doing the four cable method. That would allow your stomp to have effects both before and after the amp. There are details on how to do that in the Stomp manual. 

1 hour ago, Kilrahi said:

You're correct about the Stomp. Tragically, it does not function much as a midi hub. It will take midi messages, and forward those on to other devices. That's still helpful, but beyond just regurgitating what it did (such as a program change) it can't do much more. 

Interesting thoughts on qualities of a clean mode. Clean settings (IMHO) is something any modeler had better be able to do worth its salt because at its most basic that's just amplifying the guitar's signal. The HX Stomp can knock that out of the park as well as anything, but I guess you'll have to decide.

Finally, because I trust the Stomp both for distortion, clean, or whatever, I don't recommend connecting it to ANY traditional amp if you have a choice. I'm very much of the flat response speaker persuasion. 

With that said, if you were to connect it to the BlueGuitar Amp1 then I would suggest doing the four cable method. That would allow your stomp to have effects both before and after the amp. There are details on how to do that in the Stomp manual. 

Thank you for your response!

I've seen Thomas Blug (the creator of the Amp1) using the HX Effects once, using the 4 cable method, of course, also i just watched a few days ago doing the same thing, using the amp1 as a block in the helix, but only with the clean channel. It's a game changer, but I'll have to play the Helix by myself to be able to decide this.

That being said, I'm convinced. I'll buy the HX Stomp as soon as possible and also a 3 switch midi controller to be able to surf trough the presets and for tap tempo, becase I'm going to use the TRS connector for 2 expression pedals.

By the way, from your experience, using an external footswitch, I'll be able to tap the tempo while the HX Stomp is in Snapshot mode? I need the tap tempo for gigs.

2 hours ago, amsdenj said:

You might also consider HX Effects for more buttons and blocks if you're not going to use the Stomp amp models.

"Buttons and blocks", there's got to be a song in that.

You're right!

6 blocks are enough for me, but I'll buy an external midi footswitch to be able to change the presets. 

I'm thinking to buy like  the One Control Gecko MKIII or Disaster Area DMC-3XL.