Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Bass Guitar With Dt25 Head

wicker_man

I have a POD HD pro linked up to a DT25 head via L6 link which I use to drive a 2x12 cab.  I am very happy with this setup as a guitar rig, but I want something to play my bass through (at home) without going to the expense or hassle of buying a dedicated bass rig or L3m/t.  I was thinking of possibly getting a small bass cab and using that with the DT25.  I guess it's just the frequency response of the drivers that would be the issue in getting a good sound with bass.  Am I right to assume that it would be safe to use the DT25 head in this way?  Has anyone tried it, and if so does it sound any good?

Cheers!

You can use your Bass with it. The Flip Top in the HD Pro is designed for the low frequency. Try it sometime. Just a heads up, if you use your guitar speaker be careful and start with volume at low level and work up so you don't tear up your speaker and scare yourself.

Thanks.  I use the POD direct with the Flip Top model for bass - it was more a question of whether the DT25 would be OK.  I wouldn't really want to use my guitar cab for bass, which is why I was thinking of getting a bass cab to use with the DT25 for this purpose.

• Upvote 1

I use my Spider Jam with my Schecter Elite 5 for practice when it's convenient. About 5 years ago I was skeptical about using the bass with my guitar amp, but as I learned more about these things and became more confident about what I was doing with the level settings I ended up using it no problems. Yeah, it's not a "Bass Speaker" so you can't push it to the same limits but you can definitely get some good practice tone for home use. I've been using this Spider Jam for 5 years now and it still sounds like new to me and the people around me so I must have not done any harm so far.

• Upvote 1

I use a 5 string bass with EMG PJ active pickups, into a HD500 with the Fliptop model, into a dt25, into a 2x12 with Celestion G12K100s and it sounds great.

This is for home use right? Why bother buying another cab unless you're playing at a volume likely to blow the speakers, which realistically, you should not be doing at home. Unless you want your neighbours to kill you..... The HD500 has enough options with EQ to get a good sound through a guitar cab.

Try it and have fun!

• Upvote 1

I have a POD HD pro linked up to a DT25 head via L6 link which I use to drive a 2x12 cab. I am very happy with this setup as a guitar rig, but I want something to play my bass through (at home) without going to the expense or hassle of buying a dedicated bass rig or L3m/t. I was thinking of possibly getting a small bass cab and using that with the DT25. I guess it's just the frequency response of the drivers that would be the issue in getting a good sound with bass. Am I right to assume that it would be safe to use the DT25 head in this way? Has anyone tried it, and if so does it sound any good?

Cheers!

Yes, it will work fine. I would recommend a bass cabinet just for proper frequency response though. So if you have one, go for it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Love it! I just picked up a used DT25 head (for $500!), and I have a Mesa 1x15 600w bass cabinet.

I will give this a try next time I have the time to give it a test drive. I tried the DT25 head to the Mesa for guitar tones, and the 1x15 is the wrong speaker / cab for that, but for bass...Might just be stellar!

And the new model packs have some new HD bass amp models- could even use the MIDI interface to load at least that FlipTop model on to the DT into like, B, typology IV or something. Cool idea!! This forum is awesome, you think up some crazy idea, and someone else is already trying it and reporting back their findings.