Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running cab on one side in HX Stomp?

JeffMN

so, I play live a lot.  I love the HX Stomp, it's been a game changer for me.  I run it on the left main out into a Mooer Baby Bomb 30 to a 1x12 cab, using only the amp model in the HX for this signal path.  but, I thought hey... I could split the signal, and run a cab model and send that only to the right main out, right?  that way I could maybe get the best of both worlds... a guitar cab on the left side for my stage monitor, but FOH would get a direct line from the right side.  seems to make sense to me.

however, in tweaking this morning, what I've dreamt up works... but it doesn't pan hard left and right, as I thought it would.  I'm using a splitter, putting the cab block on the 'B' path, and the merge mixer pans signals hard left and right.  with this setup, the cab still affects the left main out.  why is this?  I would think with clever panning as I'm trying, that I could achieve both.  can someone explain what I may be doing wrong here, or why this won't work?  thanks.

4 minutes ago, JeffMN said:

no thoughts here?  am I really the only guy doing this?  cool if so, but... this confuses me greatly.  any input would be appreciated!!

I seem to recall experiencing this very phenomenon too when i was trying to do a few crazy dual amp setups one day.  I was just as confused as you are. My only assumption was that he mixer must first combine the signals and THEN pan them, which seemed . . . odd.

It seems like I was able to fix it though if I did it earlier and kept them panned at the merge. Have you tried hard panning them first at the split Y block and then keeping them panned at the merge block?  I recently tried that with a dual instrument setup and it worked. 

Also, is it possible to use the FX send instead of the left main out?  Or is that already taken? 

• 5 months later...

FYI, solved this over in a facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hxstompofficial/permalink/352242185655984/

Need to split with path A all the way left and path B all the way right. Put the cab in one of the two paths after the split. On merge, also pan path A all the way left and path B all the way right. I added an echo to the cab path to get obvious audible proof that the two were completely isolated left/right. The merge block:

No photo description available.

The split block:

I'm not sure why the split block matters as the path in mono to that point. I think all this does is to only send the left along A and the right along B but this should not matter. And, even if the signal was stereo, I would want to mono mix of both left and right sent on both A and B paths. Maybe someone smarter than me will chime in...

9 hours ago, woggs said:

FYI, solved this over in a facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hxstompofficial/permalink/352242185655984/

Need to split with path A all the way left and path B all the way right. Put the cab in one of the two paths after the split. On merge, also pan path A all the way left and path B all the way right. I added an echo to the cab path to get obvious audible proof that the two were completely isolated left/right. The merge block:

The split block:

I'm not sure why the split block matters as the path in mono to that point. I think all this does is to only send the left along A and the right along B but this should not matter. And, even if the signal was stereo, I would want to mono mix of both left and right sent on both A and B paths. Maybe someone smarter than me will chime in...

Not necessarily chime in, but your answer was exactly what I was saying just above it.

• 5 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 8:06 AM, JeffMN said:

no thoughts here?  am I really the only guy doing this?  cool if so, but... this confuses me greatly.  any input would be appreciated!!

im looking at buying one of these and just thought about it. I want to run the efects from the stomp, into my amp, loadbox the speaker out, then go from my DI out into the cab sim. I was thinking i could run the cable i want simulated through the right in and out and pan the cab to the right, and run everything else left, then go direct from the cab sim.