Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boss EV-30 works with helix ?

redbelo

I found this question on the net already but I haven't found any detailed answer, I know about the mission expression, but, the dual output on the BOSS, I assume could operate EXP2 AND EXP3 on one pedal simultaneously?

Plus I like the smaller footprint on the BOSS, I assume that it will also have a wider throwback than the Mission, that looks much like a crybaby.

any recommendation, I am just speculating, for now, thanks  

Hi!

I use the Boss EV-30 with my helix LT.

It's perfectly compatible.

I'm not sure but I think I use it with a TRS cable and have the polarity inversed on the pedal.

It has a wider throwback than a crybaby. I don't own a Mission but I also have the same impression.

About using the dual mode. I don't use it because the LT only has 1 expression pedal output.

Using both outputs with the standard helix I don't see the point. It's useful if you have 2 pedals. It's one thing I miss about not having the standard helix.

Configuring parameters on the helix to the same EXP pedal pretty much accomplishes the same thing I suppose.

It may be useful if you have an external pedal with EXP output and then you can control the helix and that pedal using the EV30.

I chose the Boss pedal because it was cheaper, lightweight, small footprint, very well constructed and the same 10k pot as the recommended expression pedals for the helix. I pretty happy with it.

Also I used the FV500-h before. Also like it a lot because its bigger and feels more comfortable. But it has a problem with the sweep linearity that I didn't like. It jitters a bit. I don't know if it's my pedal that has the problem or if it happens with all FV500... Also being bigger was great to play but not great to carry around.

Ended up buying the EV-30.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I currently use a Boss EV-30 with my Helix Floor.

At first, I thought it was not working but I figured it out recently...

The trick is this: The EV-30 has 2 distinct expression pedals in one single housing !

EXP1 is doing this: zero -> max -> zero (the pedal max out at halfway of its course)

EXP2 is doing this: zero -> max (the pedal acts like a regular volume/expression)

Long story short, simply plug your Helix expression to EXP2 of the EV-30, and it will work like a normal volume/exp pedal, very smoothly I must say.

This doesn't mean you can't connect to the EXP1 of the EV-30, but then it's another effect (should be interesting with a Wah _to be tested_ )

Cheers !

2 hours ago, giveme5be said:

Hello,

I currently use a Boss EV-30 with my Helix Floor.

At first, I thought it was not working but I figured it out recently...

The trick is this: The EV-30 has 2 distinct expression pedals in one single housing !

EXP1 is doing this: zero -> max -> zero (the pedal max out at halfway of its course)

EXP2 is doing this: zero -> max (the pedal acts like a regular volume/expression)

Long story short, simply plug your Helix expression to EXP2 of the EV-30, and it will work like a normal volume/exp pedal, very smoothly I must say.

This doesn't mean you can't connect to the EXP1 of the EV-30, but then it's another effect (should be interesting with a Wah _to be tested_ )

Cheers !

That is something about the switches and knobs on the back.

I don't recall how mine is setup but I think I did manage to get the same behaviour from the 2 inputs but had to mess with the knobs and the polarity switch.

I always use the same input and I don't even think about it anymore but you're probably right.

I'm not even sure if my cable is TS or TRS.

It's trial and error.

Bottom line. It works. It's compatible. It's way cheaper than a Mission.

But when the fellows from Mission decide to make the Aero version for Line 6, I'll probably buy one.

The trick to getting the EV-30 to work with the Helix or any of the HX products is to turn the little MIN knob on the back for the side you're using all the way to right to its max position. Then set the switch to INV. Then in the Global Settings menu on the Helix, go to the EXP Pedals menu and reverse the polarity for the EXP jack you're using.

• Upvote 1

Ok.

I'm using a TRS cable.

Using EXP1 on the EV-30. Switch on INV position and knob on MIN.

Forgot to check the Helix but I think the polarity is not inverted.

And I'm not sure but I recall that using the same settings and the EXP2 on the EV-30 doesn't have the same behavior. But it also works changing something.

1 hour ago, ppoceiro said:

Ok.

I'm using a TRS cable.

Using EXP1 on the EV-30. Switch on INV position and knob on MIN.

Forgot to check the Helix but I think the polarity is not inverted.

And I'm not sure but I recall that using the same settings and the EXP2 on the EV-30 doesn't have the same behavior. But it also works changing something.

You'll want to use a TS cable.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

There's probably something incredibly obvious that I'm missing but for the life of me I can not get the Boss EV-30 to work with my Helix LT.

I've tried both jacks, TRS cables, TS cables, switched between INV and NORM, inverted the polarity for the exp pedal within the LT unit and I just can't get the thing to respond at all.

I'd be really grateful if somebody could enlighten me. It isn't the end of the world, but I like the pedal - used to use it on a Boss MS-3 - and I'd like to have the option.

Thanks in advance

Bren

• 1 year later...