Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mission Engineering SP1-L6H with a Helix Lt

Rikthoven

Using the Mission Engineering SP1-L6H with a Helix LT.   Considering purchase.  What I need is an external pedal that can trigger the wah on/off  basically function exactly like a real wah pedal.  The LT has one external expression socket that will accept TRS.  If I run a TRS to to 1/4 inch cable to the expression pedal can I use both the toe switch to turn on/off a wah block and use the sweep portion of the pedal to control the sweep of the wah?   Or is the External expression pedal limited to ONLY sweep?

Thanks!

I believe this function only works for the Helix Rack and the HX Stomp. 

It will work as a sweep expression pedal, but that's it. 

Just curious, why don't you just use the Helix's pedal for this purpose? It has a toe switch. 

Yeah that's what I thought.   I'd like to use an external unit like the mission unit because it's purpose built to handle road use of the wah, more so than the Helix itself.   I think extended road use of the Helix LT's expression pedal is not as realistic as it would be for an external unit.  From the factory my LT had almost zero lubrication and started squeaking and wearing within hours despite adjusting the tension.  If you play songs that require a lot of rocking of the pedal, it heats up and starts to wear and squeak from the friction.  I wound up taking it apart and lithium greasing the "axle" and plastic washers.  The problem has now been "resolved" for now but in looking at the construction...It's not bad, it's just not, in my opinion, built as durably as something like the external mission engineering units.   

Since the LT expression socket is a TRS socket.  I wonder if it's possible to, through firmware, be able to allow for a TRS to y quarter inch set up to allow LT  and even floor users to use an external unit with toe trigger.   YEs the 1% sweep parm trick would work some of the time but there are times when you want the wah just on, or times when you need full wah sweep.  For instance we play "Bulls on parade" there is a lot of full sweep wah in the intro and outro plus the verses have the wah just kicked on, not open to get that nasally tone Tom got during the verse.  Yes it could be done via other means involving triggers or snapshots.  It would just be nice as player to not have to adjust workflow from normal, analog wah use.  To be able to just trigger your custome set up Helix wah just like you would an analog pedal.   To use the Helix tone with the convenience of "built like a tank" expression pedals.   I like the helix tone, just don't want to wreck my unit.

I definitely agree that the Mission Engineering pedals are extremely sturdy and nice. 

If the expression pedal jack on the LT really is a TRS, then it should just be a matter of programming to allow for it to be used with a toe switch pedal like the Mission Engineering one.  I can only guess they haven't done it because they assumed that there was no need with the inbuilt, but if so that seems to be a lost opportunity.  

I mean, wouldn't it be even MORE awesome to have a dual footswitch with a toe pedal? 

Maybe it'll happen. Maybe there's an ideascale for it already we can vote for. 

• 2 years later...