Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

11R user looking for more "meat" in Helix amps

jclark5093

7 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Of course it's subjective, but you've missed his point... he's not arguing that there's some universal definition for what constitutes "good" sound. He's saying that anyone should be able to achieve a good sound, whatever "good" means to them...and that the persistent inability to do so isn't the gear's fault. 

exactly

2 minutes ago, Jugghaid said:

And to me, a lot of this is moot for live playing. I only use cab modeling or IR's for recording as I decided I prefer playing the helix in 4CM through tube heads and actual speaker cabs live.

I still love having a tube half stack (usually with 2 heads running stereo into a stereo 412 cab) behind me on stage for a LOT of reasons, but dynamic feel is the most important one. Weight is the least. :D

I bought several different ownhammer IR's because I do prefer them to many of the line 6 cab models, but there are some gems in the Line 6 cabs as well, depending on how you use them. Especially in a 2 cab setup.

Yeah, if you're gonna use toobz and cabs live, all of the cab modeling is unnecessary anyways. I do the self-mixed IEM rig with computer back tracks/samples for both of my bands, so going FRFR and DI eliminates a couple of cables, a microphone, speeds up our set-up/tear-down, and provides me with an ultra-consistent monitoring situation. I'm also usually playing multi-band bills with 30-40 minute set times, so the faster I can get on stage and start rocking and the faster I can get off stage the better. I really only miss the big cabs when I'm spacing out by myself at the rehearsal spot.

2 hours ago, jclark5093 said:

Was I let down by the Line6 cabinets, or was I let down by my inability to love that sound? That's the crazy part of the attitude I'm seeing here.

I just have to say, in a way it's not really you a lot of my replies, and I think others, are really responding to.

When you first posted, I was really worried you were like that guy or two in the thread I linked. In my opinion, their positions crossed over into shmuck territory.

After hearing you out, I don't have any problem with your experience. If you'd tried IRs and still been like, "Cool, thanks for your help guys, Helix just isn't for me. Gonna check something else out." I would have nothing but respect.

In the end, sounds like with IRs Helix totally works. Great! You clearly have a lot you can contribute if you stick around the group too, so I enjoy reading about your opinions and feedback.

29 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

Yeah, if you're gonna use toobz and cabs live, all of the cab modeling is unnecessary anyways. I do the self-mixed IEM rig with computer back tracks/samples for both of my bands, so going FRFR and DI eliminates a couple of cables, a microphone, speeds up our set-up/tear-down, and provides me with an ultra-consistent monitoring situation. I'm also usually playing multi-band bills with 30-40 minute set times, so the faster I can get on stage and start rocking and the faster I can get off stage the better. I really only miss the big cabs when I'm spacing out by myself at the rehearsal spot.

I hear ya. We do 40-60 minute sets all the time because that's the original market in Denver.

Our drummer handles the samples and backing tracks with the laptop and runs an IEM to the other ear for a click. So that's on him. I'm actually back on bass again now in my original band and I use the helix there too, but really just for some effects into my Mesa Prodigy/Bergantino NV610 rig. Don't need to model anything with that rig, :D