Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone Tried Using An M20d Outdoors In Direct Or Indirect Sunlight?

My daughter is getting married outside in Florida in July.  Fortunately, the wedding is at 5:30pm and there is some shade in the courtyard.  I plan to use the M20d as the mixer for the ceremony.  However, I'm thinking that I will have to rig up some sort of shade cover over the touchscreen.  I'm guessing that it will not be very visible outdoors, based on my experience with an iPad4 and iPhone5.

Has anyone tried using the mixer outside on a sunny day yet?  If so, any helpful hints will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, I used mine outdoors at Warwick Races in the UK last week. It was a warm, sunny day and even under a gazebo I found the screen a little difficult to use due to outdoor light levels! The sound I ended up with was great and we had lots of fantastic feedback from the racegoers too :-)

Malc

www.retroevolutionband.co.uk 

Appreciate the quick reply.  Good to hear that you were still able to get great sound, even if the screen was difficult to visualize.  I may have to resort to my analogue mixer but I hate to give up the sound quality of the M20d.

I was just about to suggest the same as grovedggr - if you link it to your iPad and set the brightness to full then you should be fine in even the brightest of conditions! Plus it free's you up to operate the sound from wherever you are in the venue - making sure you get to enjoy the ceremony at your daughters wedding as much as possible too. Good luck :)

Last summer I found some cheapo umbrella shades with clamps from a local drugstore chain. 

I love using the ipad3 and you will too, but the m20d knobs are easier to turn accurately than the ipad, so if ipad is not available then try to arrange the stage icons in a line that matches the stage view. Also setup the group encoders and arrange them on the screen in good location so you can just grab an encoder knob and have an easy adjustment of effects and vocals without even using eyes. I always setup the the mic auto trim and the basic effects before the gig and then save scene and the setup

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say that the m20d worked great for the wedding.  We were able to find some shade for the mixer, but, my son actually ran sound from the seating area w/ my iPad4.  My son-in-law controlled the tracks that we used for the prelude/postlude w/ my iPad2 but we had that hard-wired as I am still experiencing some sound drop-out over the wi-fi/aux in (for wi-fi, i'm using an apple airport which doesn't seem to lose controller function, just sound drop-outs).  The husband/wife vocal duet sounded crisp and clear (Sennheiser e835 mics) as did the Taylor 214ce which he played fingerstyle (DI'd into the m20d).  I set up a small yamaha powered speaker on a mic stand for their monitor.  The pastor used a wireless sennheiser lavalier (sorry, forgot the model number of the mic/transmitter/receiver).   We fed the sound out of the aux sends back to the videographer.  Overall, it was a good experience, but, you definitely want to have some shade for the equipment just to keep it from overheating.  I kept the mics, guitars, etc. - anything electronic out of the direct sunlight for as long as I could - before it was time to walk my daughter down the aisle :)

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered the poor visibility issue some days ago when I setup to rehearse outdoors with my band. Checked the manual to see if there was any "contrast" function in the setup or performance window.  Nothing which is why I'm adding that feature to my wish list of M20d updates.