Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Hum when used on it's own

cheekybeermonk

Hi 

I recently purchased an HX Stomp and on the whole am very impressed, I have been using the HX Stomp DIR presets with only a guitar and wired headphones plugged in and I notice a lot of what sounds like ground loop hum, which is weird as there is nothing else powered plugged into the HX Stomp. The HX Stomp is using the provided Line 6 PSU with the UK adapter (as I am in the UK) .

Guitar (MIM Strat) --> L Mono Input HX Stom - DIR factory patches --> Headphone socket --> Headphones. HX Stomp is running 2.71 firmware.

When I have my hands on the strings or touch any of the exposed metal parts of the guitar cable or headphone jack the hum goes away, however if I touch the foot switches it changes to a more "electrical higher pitched hum" . I tried a few different sockets around the house and the level of hum stays the same.

If I plug the Helix Stomp USB connector in to my MacBook pro and ensure that the laptop is connected to the mains then the hum goes away (you can still hear a weird very slight electronic beeping noise). 

I will call support tomorrow when they get in - but wanted to see if anyone else had an ideas ?

Thank you ! 

Hi 

Interesting to see that someone else has the same issue...

I found that if I used a TC Electronic Bona Fide buffer before the HX Stomp that seemed to reduce the noise quite a bit - that said when only using Guitar--> HX Stomp --> Headphones there really should not be that added interference type noise ?

For a quick comparison I fired up my Blackstar HT5 (V1) that has quite a few pedals before the input and in the FX loop - switched it to the gain channel and that had less noise in that chain it seemed than the HX Stomp on its own so I would guess there is something amiss, was advised by Line 6 support after listening to a recording of the hum to contact the reseller, currently doing that to arrange next step, as it's less than 30 days I can return it.

Edited by cheekybeermonk
Update

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

So quick update, I returned the HX Stomp and got a replacement, this one does the same thing, I found that the simplest way to tame the hum when just using headphones at home was just to plug the HX Stomp output into the effects return on my HT -5 amp and leave the amp off, hope this may help others.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I ended up enabling the input noise gate in the HX Stomp and stopped worrying about it, I have had a Helix LT for the past 18 months and when I use the magnetic pickups on my Variax with the LT I get the same type of buzz so I think it’s maybe an environment thing at home.if I use the models then it’s silent.

At rehearsal volume with a Stomp and FRFR I did not notice the buzz with my MIM Strat.