Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Roland GR55 modeled guitar tones through helix amp sims

Flyartist

Hello, 

I just ordered a Helix floor unit and was curious if it is possible to route modeled guitars from my Roland gr55 (alternate tunings, different guitar types) to the helix as a guitar input to process through helix’s amp sims 

thanks in advance 

Sure. Just connect the GR-55 1/4 output to the Helix 1/4" Guitar input. Helix neither knows nor cares what sort of device generates the incoming signal.

Of course now you will have two guitar FX devices working serially. I don't know much about the GR-55 capabilities but from a brief reading I know it does things like amp modelling and other tonal FX. You'll have to consider how much you want to use in the GR-55 before going into the Helix. If you want Helix to work the way it's designed - namely to process a dry incoming guitar signal - you will want the GR-55 to do nothing more than generate the guitar tone, unaffected by its amp/FX capabilities.

Sure you can - but you don't want to.  GR-55 guitar sims, and guitar related effects, suck eggs compared to the Helix.  Not even in the same arena (you'll see).  But by all means use the GR-55's other awesome 'synth' features/effects in conjunction with the Helix in the same sense that you did within the GR-55 itself.  Doing so is especially awesome in a stereo setup.  I won't bother going into detail on 'how' since you don't even have the unit yet, but rest assured, you're in for a treat.   There are a few setup examples on YouTube.  Some are simpler than others. Here's a good one for midi setup:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htgK1d4ELkc

I do this with my VG99 for COSM synths and acoustic guitars.  Stereo out from VG->Helix LT return.  Works a charm.

Take a little time out to work out what is unity gain - i.e. the signal going into your helix is at the same level that your guitar would be.  On a VG this is where the volume knob is set to 12 O'Clock.  YMMV obviously ;-)

Steve

From memory I think I go from GR55 guitar out straight to helix, helix to the board. Then I use the GR55 left right out to the board. I use helix for amps and effects, GR55 for crazy goodness like synth, piano, trumpet etc...

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently experimenting with a GR55 and a Helix LT together.
The solution I prefer so far is also as decribed above.
Connect the guitar to GR55 via the GK3 cable and send the guitar signal from Guitar-out to Helix Guitar-in.
Connect effect output of GR55 connects to the returns of the Helix and uses it as its own signal path in the setting. 
Mixing the two signal paths in front of the outputs doesn't make sense for me. 
I'm not sure yet whether I'll send the two signals to the mixer with separate cables or merge them in the Helix.
A (common) external expression pedal on the Helix controls a volume block at the end of each signal path.