Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recreating JangleBox effect with a helix

talonmm

I hear great things about  JangleBox effects.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use some of the existing helix effects to get close to a JangleBox Compression/Sustain pedal?

Or would anyone know of any tones on this site that already exist with this effect?

thanks!

Understanding the Jangle box and where it comes from is the key.

The Jangle Box was created to help attain that jangly tone immortalized by certain recordings such as The Byrds Tambourine Man & Turn Turn Turn. That sound can also be found on the Beatles (Ticket to Ride, Hard Days Night, You Can't Do That, etc... etc...) & Fast forward 15 years or so and that tone was prominent again with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on many recordings.

Important distinction. The Jangle Box did not create those tones, it makes it easier for guitar players to re-create those tones. 

The Studio Way:

IMO, the best option for getting these in the Helix is to do it like they did it in the studio

• Guitar > Amp (often a Vox for Jangle) > LA Studio Comp 
  • Set the basic guitar and amp tone without the compressor turned on... you want a normal warm/rich tone at this stage, do not try to simulate the "jangle" tone at this stage.
  • Set the LA Studio Comp for a high peak reduction, then play with the emphasis to bring out the highs and lows as required. 
  • It's the copious amount of "peak reduction" and "high end emphasis" from the Studio Comp that creates the jangle from the normal guitar tone you started with.

The Stomp Box Way:

This may be a simpler approach, especially if you don't have a solid grasp on studio style compression... or just prefer a basic stomp box. 

• Stomp Style Compressor > Guitar > Amp (often a Vox for Jangle)
  • Do not turn the compressor on yet.... start by getting a warm/rich tone on your guitar amp... don't try to get the jangle there.
  • Now... what compressor to use
    • The Jangle Box is a derivative of the Dyna Comp you could just use one of the many Dyna Comp options in the Helix then add an EQ after it to emphasize the highs to bring them out. NOTE: The upcoming Helix 2.8 update will include a TILT EQ... this will be a perfection "simple" EQ option to bring out the HIGH or LOWS as needed. It would be very similar to the "emphasis" control on the LA Studio Comp I mention above. 
    • Don't discount the legacy "Blue Comp" or "Blue Comp Treble"....  Based on the BOSS CS-1 this comp would behave like the Jangle box in it's "treble mode". IMO... I prefer to have more control over the treble than just an "on/off" state, but that's just a preference. 

Just my thoughts on the subject... I'm sure others may have a few more ideas for you. 

• Thanks 1

Codamedia - thank you so much!  I appreciate you taking the time to help me achieve this tone.  I've been holding off on downloading new tones as we all wait for Helix 2.8 and it sounds like I should continue to wait as the Tilt EQ sounds like it could be a big help.

Just a few basic questions.  You mentioned there are many Dyna Comp options in the Helix.  Does this mean  to concentrate on the Red Squeeze compressor instead of the ones you mention later on?  And then perhaps if I can't get the sound I want, at that point try other others you mentioned, but I am better off trying the Red Squeeze compressor first?

Is tilt eq a concept or perhaps a technique when applying eq, or is it a specific pedal?  Poking around the internet I see a VFE Pinball Tilt EQ pedal is available.  Is line 6 modeling this pedal in the next update?

thanks again!

Personally... I would go the "studio route" that I suggested... everything you need is already in the Helix. 

1 hour ago, talonmm said:

You mentioned there are many Dyna Comp options in the Helix.  Does this mean  to concentrate on the Red Squeeze compressor instead of the ones you mention later on? 

If you decide to go the "stomp route" then I would prefer a dyna comp style with an EQ after it over the "Blue Comp" I mentioned later. But the blue comp might be worth a try. As for the Dyna Comp options, there is the red squeeze in both the normal helix options, and a red comp in the legacy. Their are also two more derivatives of the Dyna Comp... those being the "boost comp" in the legacy section and the "Kinky Comp" in the normal comp area.

1 hour ago, talonmm said:

Is tilt eq a concept or perhaps a technique when applying eq, or is it a specific pedal?

It is a Line 6 original... not based on any specific pedal but the idea of a TILT is not new - and has been used by other company's. 

It's a one button EQ... turn it up (above half) and the high end increases while the lows decrease, turn it down (below half) and the high end decreases while the low end increases. As I understand it, the Helix Version will allow you to set to the frequency center of those curves as well. If this is true, there will be a wide range of practical uses... shaping a dyna comp style comp into a simulated jangle box will certainly be one of them.