Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

E note causing speaker rattle

steelstringer

I’m not sure if this is a Helix issue or a Yamaha DXR 12 issue, but I thought I would see what you all think. I noticed a really irritating buzz/rattle/vibration from one of my main speakers last night (yep, only one side). I pinpointed the problem to the E note (open string, full chord, power chord at the 7th fret, power chord at the 12th fret). No other note or chord causes this. I run direct to PA via xlr, and I utilize the high/low cuts that many of you discuss. I tried several other patches, each displayed the vibration in the same way. 

So, I put a parametric eq in the patch, and found that a big cut at 170 hz (q 4.8) made the vibration stop. That is not the frequency that I expected to cut. The problem, of course, is that now the patch sounds a bit thin to my ears. I wondered if anyone else has encountered similar issues or might have some advice. My gut tells me that something is loose in the speaker since both are not displaying the same behavior. But it’s so specific to that one note/frequency...Thanks! 

If it's just one speaker and only on a certain note, you probably have a loose screw holding either the control plate or a driver in place and it just so happens that that particular note matches the resonance of the cabinet enough to cause it to rattle. I can't imagine how in this instance it would be with the Helix/mixer/cables. If they're under warranty get someone to look at it. If not just tighten every visible screw and if it doesn't go away open it up and tighten all the screws/check for damaged anchors inside. We recently had to do this with an older Behringer Eurolive powered speaker at our rehearsal spot. Making the weirdest rattle/buzz with anything below the A string. Opened up the control panel and the XLR pass-through output jack had vibrated the solder off the board (direct-mounted to the board) and the pins were vibrating back and forth on the broken solder.

• Upvote 1

Yup... this is a mechanical issue with the speaker. If the Helix were at fault, you'd have it on both sides. 

L6 had a similar issue with the Stagesource speakers when they first came out... the fan assembly would rattle with certain low frequencies at higher volumes. It was F# for me, lol... replaced the fan, all good. 

1 hour ago, DunedinDragon said:

Make sure you isolate the rattle to the speaker.  I had a similar issue a few years back which I thought was coming from the DXR12.  Turns out it was one of the pictures on the wall near the DXR12.

This!!!

I was having same problem out of my left speaker with heavy bass. I quickly found the issue was not the speaker. It was the speaker stand. I have nice monitor stands however the floor they sit on isn't perfectly flat. Old wood planks with scratches/grooves.

My solution was simple I had an extra 10lb dum bell (weight) that I put on the bottom of the speaker stand to hold it to the floor in the spot it rattled. The problem was immediately gone.

I took off the grille/cover and tightened every screw I could find (there were a bunch). Everything sounds good now. I can play E chords again now (Yay). It’s still interesting to me that I could “fix” the issue with the parametric eq. That’s a powerful tool in the Helix. 

• Like 1

General Note on Speaker Screw Torque: A lot of speakers have frames which can warp when you over-tighten the screws and degrade the sound and performance of the speaker or cause rattles. If you start to see the metal around the screw indent or feel like it will over time you probably have applied too much pressure. Your typical Celestion speaker would be a good example of one that can be damaged that way so you want to get the screws snug but avoid getting out your air powered impact driver.

Some tips on how to remedy a problem with a speaker frame that has warped from being over-tightened(other than loosening it).

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/warped-speaker-frame-what-to-do.1580509/