Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects into HX Stomp - 2 FX Loop Blocks

chrismkane

Hi,

I am having some trouble understanding how to connect my HX Effects into the HX Stomps FX Loop.

currently I have the FX Loop send on the Stomp going to the input of the HX Effects, then from the output of the HX Effects to the Return L/Mono on the Stomp. I then create a FX Loop Block in my HX Stomps Signal Chain and my Effects from the HX Effects sound great (depending on the block placement). Of course, I would like my Modulation and Timed Effects after my amp block in the Signal Chain but I would also like to use my overdrives and compressors from the HX Effects before my amp in the Signal Chain on the HX Stomp.

i made two FX Loop blocks in the Stomp, one before and one after the amp.

How do I assign some effects from the HX Effects to go to one loop versus the other loop in the Stomp Signal Chain ? And do I need to run another cable into the Return R to make this work properly? Is there some settings in the HX Effects that need set?  And finally, what should the blocks be specifically in the HX Stomp Signal Chain? 

FX Loop L 

Send L

Return L

i get overwhelmed sometimes....

thanks for all ideas,

Chris

I think you're making this a bit harder than it needs to be. I guess it depends a bit on how many effects you actually want BEFORE the Stomp's amp/cab block (or IR), but just how many are you wanting to have? 

The HX Stomp and the HX effects have identical everything except the amps themselves, and the HX effects has more footswitches.  Generally though, the easiest way is to let the HX Stomp handle the amp and pre amp effects (so place the amp/cab at the VERY end of the Stomp's chain) then chain it directly into the HX effects and let it handle all post effects. This setup is simple. Guitar in to Stomp, Stomp main out into HX effects main in, then out HX Effects main out. 

If you don't want to do that it becomes a bit more of a hairball, but it would look like this:

Guitar in to HX Effects "Left Mono Input."

1/4 out HX effects Send 1 into HX Stomp main in.  

1/4 out HX Stomp FX send into HX Effects Return 1. 

1/4 out HX Effects Send 2 into HX Stomp FX left Return. 

1/4 out HX Stomp left main output into HX Effects FX Return 2. 

1/4 out HX Effects left mono output. 

Internal chains would have this structure:

HX Effects

Pre amp effects >>> FX send/return block >>>> post amp effects FX Send/Return Block

HX Stomp

Pre amp effects >>> Amp Block >>> FX send/return block >>> Post amp effects. 

Doing this should get exactly what you want. It's a bit complicated, and you lose a few blocks due to FX block send/returns, so you gain a few but not as many as you'd think. 

I also have my HX Effects (time/mod effects only) in a loop on the Stomp, but only at the end of the signal path. The reason I do it that way is for practicing with headphones. I wanted to be able to hear my effects through the headphones. You didn’t bring that up, but if you play through headphones, it would be an issue as far as I’m aware.   

Kilrahi - Do you know of a way to play through headphones and retain post-Stomp effects without using an FX Block in the Stomp?  I have assumed that, because there is no headphone out on the HX effects, that this would not be possible. Would love a solution to not using a block in the Stomp simply to hear post-stomp effects through headphones. 

I guess we Stomp+Effects users could use a small mixer, but that’s no fun...and would take up a physical “block” on a table :)

10 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I think you're making this a bit harder than it needs to be. I guess it depends a bit on how many effects you actually want BEFORE the Stomp's amp/cab block (or IR), but just how many are you wanting to have? 

The HX Stomp and the HX effects have identical everything except the amps themselves, and the HX effects has more footswitches.  Generally though, the easiest way is to let the HX Stomp handle the amp and pre amp effects (so place the amp/cab at the VERY end of the Stomp's chain) then chain it directly into the HX effects and let it handle all post effects. This setup is simple. Guitar in to Stomp, Stomp main out into HX effects main in, then out HX Effects main out. 

If you don't want to do that it becomes a bit more of a hairball, but it would look like this:

Guitar in to HX Effects "Left Mono Input."

1/4 out HX effects Send 1 into HX Stomp main in.  

1/4 out HX Stomp FX send into HX Effects Return 1. 

1/4 out HX Effects Send 2 into HX Stomp FX left Return. 

1/4 out HX Stomp left main output into HX Effects FX Return 2. 

1/4 out HX Effects left mono output. 

Internal chains would have this structure:

HX Effects

Pre amp effects >>> FX send/return block >>>> post amp effects FX Send/Return Block

HX Stomp

Pre amp effects >>> Amp Block >>> FX send/return block >>> Post amp effects. 

Doing this should get exactly what you want. It's a bit complicated, and you lose a few blocks due to FX block send/returns, so you gain a few but not as many as you'd think. 

Thanks so much for the quick response.

as far as how many before my amp, I like my wah, compressor-(sometimes) & overdrive.

i will try your advice out very shortly...Thanks again for responding to my questions...you are very thorough.

Chris