Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Where can I learn about the settings for effects/amps?

Rlivingst

Hi everyone,

I once found a blog post that had these detailed overviews for each amp and effect on the Helix. Most importantly, the blog post went over what each setting did for each effects pedal. Unfortunately, I forgot to save the post and now I can't find it anymore. I would love to know the purpose of each setting e.g. flutter, ramp, FBtone, range, peak, etc., etc. Each effect has different settings and some of them are named the same thing but have different functions, like mode. Anyone have a compiled source of instructions for all of these pedals and amps?

It is generally assumed that Helix users have some experience of a variety of Valve (tube) amps and a wide range of conventional pedals.  As the Helix does a pretty good job of simulating these devices, and the IRs do a very good job of simulating cabs, that you just plug together modules based on that experience and you pretty much get what you'd expect.

However, it's a digital age, and as you read this forum, it becomes very clear that there are a lot of younger players out there for which the above doesn't apply.  This gets a bit more confusing because Line 6 avoids copyright problems by calling them something slightly different.

A lot of what you want is here - https://helixhelp.com/

But the broader question - what does every knob do - including the intention - so gain might just increase volume, but it might also be a distortion control for example - no one has tried to do that.

With the above link, you could do a lot of that for yourself - once you know what that amp is actually modelling, you could google the manufacturer and possibly download a manual.  You can also look a YouTube videos of the real devices to get a better idea of how they should sound and what the controls do.  The Helix often gives you controls the amp does not though - like Sag - this lets you get under the hood in a way that only really good amp techs once did.

Again you could google it.

So it's not all in one place - and it would be a huge job if it was - but there is the 'how to' you might be looking for.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rvroberts said:

It is generally assumed that Helix users have some experience of a variety of Valve (tube) amps and a wide range of conventional pedals.  As the Helix does a pretty good job of simulating these devices, and the IRs do a very good job of simulating cabs, that you just plug together modules based on that experience and you pretty much get what you'd expect.

However, it's a digital age, and as you read this forum, it becomes very clear that there are a lot of younger players out there for which the above doesn't apply.  This gets a bit more confusing because Line 6 avoids copyright problems by calling them something slightly different.

A lot of what you want is here - https://helixhelp.com/

But the broader question - what does every knob do - including the intention - so gain might just increase volume, but it might also be a distortion control for example - no one has tried to do that.

With the above link, you could do a lot of that for yourself - once you know what that amp is actually modelling, you could google the manufacturer and possibly download a manual.  You can also look a YouTube videos of the real devices to get a better idea of how they should sound and what the controls do.  The Helix often gives you controls the amp does not though - like Sag - this lets you get under the hood in a way that only really good amp techs once did.

Again you could google it.

So it's not all in one place - and it would be a huge job if it was - but there is the 'how to' you might be looking for.

For me this was always my approach for amps I'm unfamiliar with. I read the Helix help, and then I search for the original amp on youtube and demonstrations of what it could do, and then try to recreate it in the HX. 

14 hours ago, Rlivingst said:

Anyone have a compiled source of instructions for all of these pedals and amps?

Sorry, I don't know of any such resource... although I have seen similar resources for various line 6 products over the years.... eg: if you find an "M Series" resource it would apply to the "legacy effects" in the Helix. 

I second pretty much everything that @rvroberts has said above.  Line 6 has done a remarkable job not only creating models that sound like the originals, but also operate like the originals. The best thing you can do is learn what Helix models correlate to which original models then you can You Tube the originals and come back to the Helix to apply the knowledge.

Example: If you try to dial up the ESSEX 30 on the Helix but you have ZERO experience with an AC30 - that would be a lesson in frustration. You need to know how the AC30 works to be able to dial in the Helix effectively. Now... multiple that learning curve to "x number of amps" and "x number of effects". 

Learning how to use the Helix and get around it is relatively simple and is the only thing unique to the Helix itself. Understanding how each piece of gear works and how to apply it is actually independent of the Helix. 

• Like 1