Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Overlapping tone between Magnetic pickup and model

Hi there

when using an alternative tuning (independent if an own or predefined) I can always hear 2 tones when picking the certain strings which are tuned. For me it sounds like as if the physical tuning and the modeled tuning is being played.

Even setting the magnetics blend slider to zero (expecting the magnetic pickups are blended out) does not help. 

Does anyone already have had this problem?

thanks

&

regards

Yes there is! I clearly hear something dual coming out. 

1)Open your workbench and see if the magnetic blend is rised.

If yes, nullify it.

If no, try to reinstall the firmware on the variax.

2) Is your magnetic pickups rised? Have you swap the pickups with others?

If yes, make sure to lower the heigh of the pickups. If you swap, make sure there is no string pull from the new pickups

3) If nothing of the above, maybe hastag psarkissian to help you.

Hi

I tried already an old firmware version. Didn't help. The pickups were not exchanged, they are still the originals.

In the workbench I also tried the blending. When setting the magnetig blending to 100 I can hear normal tuning. When setting to 0 I hear what you can hear in the audio.

#psarkissian

" For me it sounds like as if the physical tuning and the modeled tuning is being played. "--- Correct. It's called the "Dual Tone Effect", 

hearing the strings in standard tune while hearing the Alt Tune coming out of the amp.

Typical solution is to turn the amp up until it's louder than what you are getting from the strings. Or using headphones. I it does it when

using headphones, then the guitar may need the set-up adjusted. Tuning and intonation may need to be dialed-in a little closer.

Also the pick-ups have to be at the specified distance from the strings or warbling can occur. And with piezos you can hear it more,

and with Alt Tune engaged, warbling get worse.

---Things to be aware of. Thanks arislaf.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

" For me it sounds like as if the physical tuning and the modeled tuning is being played. "--- Correct. It's called the "Dual Tone Effect", 

hearing the strings in standard tune while hearing the Alt Tune coming out of the amp.

Typical solution is to turn the amp up until it's louder than what you are getting from the strings. Or using headphones. I it does it when

using headphones, then the guitar may need the set-up adjusted. Tuning and intonation may need to be dialed-in a little closer.

Also the pick-ups have to be at the specified distance from the strings or warbling can occur. And with piezos you can hear it more,

and with Alt Tune engaged, warbling get worse.

---Things to be aware of. Thanks arislaf.

Hearing the guitar acoustically while playing was ruled out once he posted a clip with of both notes showing up on a recording. If that were the issue, the rest of us listening a world away would hear nothing abnormal...

If the mp3 of the JTV-69 is recorded direct and not thru an amp,....

-If it's strung for left handed playing.

-If the previous owner tampered with the way the piezos are wired.

-Distance of pick-ups to the strings inducing warbling.

-What is the Flash firmware version?

-Intonation and tuning has to be spot on, or frequency artifacts can occur.

-Being an earlier batch, it's probably long over due for a maintenance check. 

Thanks for answers.

Today I had the opportunity to try it with a line 6 helix and a friedman box. With the same result. My band members confirmed my impression. Normally I'm playing a Kemper and thought that's something with it.

If the mp3 of the JTV-69 is recorded direct and not thru an amp,....

==> Thru amp

-If it's strung for left handed playing.

==> No

-If the previous owner tampered with the way the piezos are wired

==> what do you mean?

-Distance of pick-ups to the strings inducing warbling.

==> looks like normal distance

-What is the Flash firmware version?

==> latest

-Intonation and tuning has to be spot on, or frequency artifacts can occur.

==> what do you mean?

-Being an earlier batch, it's probably long over due for a maintenance check. 

==> is this recommended by line 6?

1) Thru the amp, chances are it's dual tone effect. Hearing the strings in standard tuning

and Alt Tune through the amp at the same time.

3) If there was a previous owner of the guitar, they might have modified it.

If you're the original owner, then it not relevant.

6) Intonation and tuning go to the guitar set-up. If it isn't spot on and dialed-in,

slight overtone differences can be exaggerated when using Alt Tunes. And coming

out of the amp with dual tone affect, it's even more so. 

7) Being the guy at Line 6 that services and repairs guitars, it sounds like a good idea to have a maintenance check every now and again. 

New information about this topic:

What I found out: when changing the tuning to 1 step (full tone) down and playing all tones on a string then I get 2 different tones on every fret. But I would expect when playing e.g. the F# on the e string to get the same tone. 

Assuming that the 2nd tone is coming from the magnetic pickups. But this is not the case.

Means: the 2 tones are coming from the piezos where the modulated tone is coming out. It has nothing to do with the magnetic pickups!

2 hours ago, WickieDerChef said:

New information about this topic:

What I found out: when changing the tuning to 1 step (full tone) down and playing all tones on a string then I get 2 different tones on every fret. But I would expect when playing e.g. the F# on the e string to get the same tone. 

Assuming that the 2nd tone is coming from the magnetic pickups. But this is not the case.

Means: the 2 tones are coming from the piezos where the modulated tone is coming out. It has nothing to do with the magnetic pickups!

You lost me. So you play F# on the E string... and you hear what exactly? Besides F#, what is the second pitch? 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, WickieDerChef said:

Hi

I sent the guitar to a support team here. Let's see what they will find. 

The problem exists independent if I played a high gain or a clean sound.

I'll let u know the outcome

Thank you mate. After 9 years it is the first time i up tune the guitar, and found the problem. Thank you again, awaiting your news.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, rice33 said:

Hi, was this ever resolved? I have the same thing happening with my standard. I've only just bought it. 

Thanks

Nope. I don't believe it will. It is a 9 years guitar, and somewhere near we are waiting for the new variax.

Hi there

There are some news. I sent it to Line 6 support. And they found out that there is a problem with the volume poti or knob. It seems that the signal of the pickups jumps over and overlaps with the emulated signal. Which makes from my perspective sense.

I don't have it back yet but hoping that I get it back the next days.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Hi there 

In my case it was really a defect of the potentiometer. It was exchanged and it's working perfectly again.

But indeed you should check if you have the same effect with headphones. If you try it without headphones using a normal amp you should turn up the volume of the amp to ensure that you are only hearing the sound of the speakers. And not the sound which are generated by the strings of your guitar.

Don't underestimate the volume of the strings itself.

Hope my explanation is understandable and helps

• Thanks 1