Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 4CM - Recommendations on Effects Chain

rbedsaul1

I'm setting up my Helix to run in 4CM through a tube amp.  I'm using the basic sound and gain structure of the amp; using the Helix for effects only (no amps, IRs, or cabs).  I'm looking for recommendations on the FX chain or any tips for FX or Global settings that might be useful.  

Here's what I'm thinking for now:  WAH > DISTORTION > FX LOOP > MODULATION (Chorus) > DELAY > REVERB > EQ (for Solo boost) > VOLUME PEDAL

(this chain was based on an FRFR perspective and may not be applicable to my new application)

My objective is to build a basic chain that I can copy across presets or snapshots and just turn things off / on or change settings - rather than creating a bunch of different chains unique to each preset.  I'm mostly interested in classic rock / hard rock tones, and I'll be running through a Marshall or Marshall-inspired tube amps.

Specific questions...

• Where's the best place for Compressors, Pitch / Octave, Tremolos, Uni-Vibe, and Noise Gate?
  • If I split the signal after the FX loop and run one path dry, then merge them back after reverb - will that be a reasonable simulation of a Wet / Dry rig?
  • If I'm running through a tube amp with some gain - is there a way to clean it up and create an acoustic sounding patch?
  • Other tips / tricks related to effect chains in general?  Or specific settings in regard to this set up?

Very interested to hear what you recommend and how you've set up your 4CM rig!!  Thanks!!

I run 4CM as well and, like you, leave the amps and cabs out of the chain. 

1.  As always, effects chains are subjective but here is a good starting point.  GATE > WAH > COMP > PITCH > VIBE > TREM > DIRT

2.  Assuming you run in mono - No.  It's just a parallel path.  Kinda need two amps to get the Wet/Dry sound.

3.  I have an acoustic IR that sounds solid.  I don't remember where it came from tho.  Sorry. 

General tips:

Gain stacking into a tube amp tends to get really mushy really quickly on the Helix.  It doesn't behave as I expect, so experiment to taste.  

Using the Simple EQ as a boost works better than using the Kinky boost.  

Try placing a pre-amp model in your chain right after the Loop block.  It's counter-intuitive for sure, but my primary patch I use with my Rectifier has  Plexi pre-amp model that sits right in front of my power amp.  The chain is basically  GTR > some Helix FX > MESA PRE AMP > PLEXI PRE AMP MOD > Delay/Verb > MESA POWER AMP > CAB.   Sounds amazing. 

On 4/8/2019 at 12:19 PM, davepmoll said:

I run 4CM as well and, like you, leave the amps and cabs out of the chain. 

1.  As always, effects chains are subjective but here is a good starting point.  GATE > WAH > COMP > PITCH > VIBE > TREM > DIRT

2.  Assuming you run in mono - No.  It's just a parallel path.  Kinda need two amps to get the Wet/Dry sound.

3.  I have an acoustic IR that sounds solid.  I don't remember where it came from tho.  Sorry. 

General tips:

Gain stacking into a tube amp tends to get really mushy really quickly on the Helix.  It doesn't behave as I expect, so experiment to taste.  

Using the Simple EQ as a boost works better than using the Kinky boost.  

Try placing a pre-amp model in your chain right after the Loop block.  It's counter-intuitive for sure, but my primary patch I use with my Rectifier has  Plexi pre-amp model that sits right in front of my power amp.  The chain is basically  GTR > some Helix FX > MESA PRE AMP > PLEXI PRE AMP MOD > Delay/Verb > MESA POWER AMP > CAB.   Sounds amazing. 

Thanks very much for the info!  It sounds like attempting to simulate a Wet/Dry rig doesn't really make much sense in a 4CM with a single amp and cab.