Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

NMDRD! (Strymon BigSky content...)

Verne-Bunsen

That's "New Multi-Dimensional Reverberator Day"... Strymon Big Sky has arrived!

Photo%20Apr%2007,%201%2058%2049%20PM.jpe

Photo%20Apr%2007,%201%2058%2000%20PM.jpe

I sold a Telecaster and a Blues Deluxe to finance it, and I have no regrets. In stereo, in headphones, it is LUSH. I'm working on putting together stereo monitoring in-the-room, weighing some options there, but for now playing in the headphones is plenty. I've only had it a couple of days and have only scratched the surface of what it does, but man is it fun.... The underside of this board already looks the inside of a PLC cabinet, I'm going to have to tear into that to get a good clean permanent installation. Gotta figure out if I like this layout or if I want to move things around...

• Like 1

You're going to enjoy that Big Sky. I use it for my main or only reverb on every preset, but I have the MIDI connected. I recommend doing that. I believe my default Big Sky preset is a subtle setting using the "Reflections" mode, but I use snapshots to change presets. That way I can change to any type of reverb, plate, spring, bloom, etc., and I only use the one FX Loop block in the Helix. Alternatively you would have to either use additional reverb blocks in the Helix or manually change presets on the Big Sky. But it's a great unit either way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jmp22684 said:

20180825_125726-1448x1448.thumb.jpg.9a6177fd886e9a517b6f67f643fdf252.jpgthis in total came to well under $300. Gives a nice little "dog house" to hide those "plc" wires.

That looks great! The way I'm set up, every time I want to move a wire I have to replace approximately 6000 zip ties....

Photo%20Feb%2002,%209%2034%2041%20AM.jpg

44 minutes ago, rzumwalt said:

You're going to enjoy that Big Sky. I use it for my main or only reverb on every preset, but I have the MIDI connected. I recommend doing that. I believe my default Big Sky preset is a subtle setting using the "Reflections" mode, but I use snapshots to change presets. That way I can change to any type of reverb, plate, spring, bloom, etc., and I only use the one FX Loop block in the Helix. Alternatively you would have to either use additional reverb blocks in the Helix or manually change presets on the Big Sky. But it's a great unit either way.

I definitely am enjoying it! I've been figuring on incorporating MIDI functionality once I get a better grasp on what I'm actually doing with the pedal. Because right now I'm still in the "Pulling up random presets and playing until I start drooling" phase.... I did spend a couple of hours today organizing the presets by reverb type and loading some additional ones, that will make targeted browsing much easier. I used the Nixie program to do all of the editing, my goodness what a fantastic piece of software that is!

Photo%20Apr%2010,%202%2000%2054%20PM.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2019 at 6:24 PM, Verne-Bunsen said:

[...] I used the Nixie program to do all of the editing, my goodness what a fantastic piece of software that is!

That looks useful, what is Nixie and how do I download it? Thanks.

2 hours ago, rzumwalt said:

That looks useful, what is Nixie and how do I download it? Thanks.

Hi rzumwalt,

Nixie is a program that lets you use your computer as an interface with BigSky, TimeLine or Mobius. It makes importing/exporting/copying/organizing presets a breeze, and you can manipulate the pedal in realtime with the on-screen controls. It is a Strymon program and can be downloaded free from their website:

https://www.strymon.net/support/nixie/

In order to connect the pedal to your computer, you'l need a MIDI-to-USB cable. I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-UNO/dp/B00007JRBM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=midisport+uno&qid=1558064973&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Photo%20Apr%2010,%201%2004%2025%20PM.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, hideout said:

May I suggest an Aspen Pittman Stacestation V3

That does look like an interesting speaker. Generally the stereo image from a single cabinet is fairly uninspired, have you heard the Space Station for yourself? For now I’ve gotten myself into a pair of PowerCab Plus cabs and have really been liking them.

Photo%20Apr%2012,%2010%2006%2004%20AM.jp

On 5/16/2019 at 8:51 PM, Verne-Bunsen said:

In order to connect the pedal to your computer, you'l need a MIDI-to-USB cable. I have this one:

Thanks. Strymon had a very simple librarian program when I bought the BigSky several years ago now. This looks like it kicks the old program in the butte.  

You will love Nixie! I call it up when using Helix so when I change patches I see Nixie change so I know all is working correctly. Of course, you will need a box that takes the Nixie (midi out from ur midi interface) and Helix Midi out, combines them and sends it out to the Bluesky, and then just return midi from BS to your midi interface. In this way you can control the Blue Sky from Helix (control center) or from Nixie.

2 hours ago, DannyMcO said:

What kind of pedalboard is that? And does it travel well? 

If you are referring to mine, it is a PedalTrain Terra42. It’s a very good fit for Helix. It is a bit of a pain to travel with on account of its size and weight, it’s kind of a beast with all those goodies on it. However it is extremely sturdy and the Helix and pedals are affixed with 3M Dual Lock which is pretty much like welding them in place, nothing moves. There is a PedalPower2 mounted underneath, and the PedalPower, Helix and BlueSky are plugged into a power-strip mounted on the board, so there is only one electrical connection to make. So in that regard it does travel well. I don’t have the hard case, but if I had to move it often I would invest in that. 

Here is a better (and more recent) picture:

Photo%20May%2010,%209%2054%2011%20AM.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 3:48 PM, Verne-Bunsen said:

That does look like an interesting speaker. Generally the stereo image from a single cabinet is fairly uninspired, have you heard the Space Station for yourself?

I used to own one - the 1st gen.  I loved it but at that time I wasn't able to use it as much as I would have liked to so I sold it... BIG mistake!

As for stereo in one cabinet being uninspiring,  I think owners of the venerable Roland JC120 would disagree with you.