Jump to content
s7nstringsofhell

Reaper and Helix Clipping

Recommended Posts

I have a fairly beast PC
1080TI, 8700k, 370z. I have my helix plugged in USB into Reaper. Using the ASIOALL @1024 samples @44100 Hz. I get clipping issues a lot. I shut down almost all other PC processes when i record. I am at the point of wondering why a good PC is struggling to record. HELP! 

I am new to this so i feel maybe its something simple so apologize in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people will claim that ASIO4ALL is good. I disagree. Use the ASIO driver that is designed for your soundcard, which is a....?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The power of your PC has nothing to do with clipping, it only determines how much latency your system and tolerate. If you are driving Reaper too hard, you just need to turn down the input level in the audio device, or use the drive switch in Helix.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Some people will claim that ASIO4ALL is good. I disagree. Use the ASIO driver that is designed for your soundcard, which is a....?

Realtek i believe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, amsdenj said:

The power of your PC has nothing to do with clipping, it only determines how much latency your system and tolerate. If you are driving Reaper too hard, you just need to turn down the input level in the audio device, or use the drive switch in Helix.

As in the volume knob for input? 

Drive switch? sorry for the dumb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re using Helix over USB, as your input, it is your sound device, and whatever other sound device you might have is not involved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, s7nstringsofhell said:

Realtek i believe

 

 

If you are using the computer's built in sound card, that is NOT the way to go. Even the best of them are not made for this application. Get a real external Audio Interface. There are many out there. If your needs are minimal I'd recommend the Focusrite Scarlett Solo, a little over $100. Using the Scarlett specs as a base, it's hard to go wrong with most available  AIs. You could also spend a lot more for high end pro AIs but for casual use these specs are perfectly acceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what amsdenjj said. If that's the way you're using it, you don't need an external soundcard. Connect your speakers to the Helix and in Windows Sound Panel select Helix as your default device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rd2rk said:

 

If you are using the computer's built in sound card, that is NOT the way to go. Even the best of them are not made for this application. Get a real external Audio Interface. There are many out there. If your needs are minimal I'd recommend the Focusrite Scarlett Solo, a little over $100. Using the Scarlett specs as a base, it's hard to go wrong with most available  AIs. You could also spend a lot more for high end pro AIs but for casual use these specs are perfectly acceptable.

 I have a UR 12 interface. Would i connect USB into there and run the monitors into it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, s7nstringsofhell said:

 I have a UR 12 interface. Would i connect USB into there and run the monitors into it? 

 

Put the UR12 in a drawer. Steinberg interfaces suck. Use the Helix as your interface, it's better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rd2rk said:

 

Put the UR12 in a drawer. Steinberg interfaces suck. Use the Helix as your interface, it's better.

 

OK, that is just MHO. If you MUST use the Steinberg, plug your speakers in there and choose the Steinberg as you default device in Windows. Do be certain to use the LATEST driver for the UR12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

3 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

 

OK, that is just MHO. If you MUST use the Steinberg, plug your speakers in there and choose the Steinberg as you default device in Windows. Do be certain to use the LATEST driver for the UR12.

Going to try direct through the helix first. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There ARE reasons (other than Steinberg sucks) to use the Helix instead. These reasons have to do with the ability to re-amp tracks. The UR12 (as well as the Scarlett I recommended) are single input devices. On a multi-input device (like my Scarlett 18i20) you can split your guitar signal before the Helix and send a clean signal alongside the Helix signal through the AI and record separate tracks. That makes re-amping even easier than using the Helix if you have Native or some other amp sim.

 

EDIT: When using the Helix, if you record Outputs 1/2 on one track and Output 7 on another, Output 7 is the clean guitar. You can then put Native or whatever amp sim on that track and get re-amping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

There ARE reasons (other than Steinberg sucks) to use the Helix instead. These reasons have to do with the ability to re-amp tracks. The UR12 (as well as the Scarlett I recommended) are single input devices. On a multi-input device (like my Scarlett 18i20) you can split your guitar signal before the Helix and send a clean signal alongside the Helix signal through the AI and record separate tracks. That makes re-amping even easier than using the Helix if you have Native or some other amp sim.

I have the helix selected as a default device. 
image.thumb.png.22b73a4f1310fa736abd7bd4b0714c9d.png

image.thumb.png.5638412084d6a75092799a9b1ffe4965.png

My current settings. Even the backing track played alone has this little pops in it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest advantage of Helix as an audio input device is the guitar input is designed and optimized for guitar. That probably won't be the case for a generic audio interface. The issues is audio bandwidth and input impedance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Reaper, select the Helix ASIO driver. Select the maximum available number of Inputs and Outputs. Open ASIO Configuration. Start with the setting between "Extra Small and Medium. That'll be 128 samples. That should get you a clean pop/crackle free recording. You can then try Extra small an d see if your computer can handle it (it should).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, it just sounds like you need to increase your buffer size. No big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rd2rk said:

In Reaper, select the Helix ASIO driver. Select the maximum available number of Inputs and Outputs. Open ASIO Configuration. Start with the setting between "Extra Small and Medium. That'll be 128 samples. That should get you a clean pop/crackle free recording. You can then try Extra small an d see if your computer can handle it (it should).

 


It gets worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, s7nstringsofhell said:


It gets worse. 

 

I can't presently send screenshots on this forum (my allotment is maxed out), but if you PM me a real email address I'll send shots so you can see how I'm configured, cause I ain't got no problems with Helix and Reaper like you seem to have, and I'm using (today) a funky old Gateway i5 laptop with 8gb memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asio4All is a pretend ASIO driver to make non-ASIO devices work with ASIO stuff. Use the Helix driver. If it still doesn’t get better you’re probably having a device or driver conflict.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd also uninstall ASIO4All to make sure it's not causing any conflicts, then install the official driver (if you haven't already) and use that one. Some of those settings might be trying to apply even when you're not using it. 128 or 256 buffer size ought to get you pop-free sound, but you could also try putting the Helix into a different USB port and see if that helps. To be clear, not just like the next port over, but one that's on a different host controller. If it's currently plugged in to a USB 3 port, try a USB 2 port. No guarantees, but that could help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SOLVED!

 

VICTORY OVER THE DEMONIC DIGITAL OVERLORDS!

 

A combination of problems resolved by implementing basic DAW optimizations.

Most of us know these, but for newbies stumbling across this thread, here are the most important (there are many others):

 

Disable wireless adapter!

Use the HELIX ASIO Driver (NOT ASIO4ALL!). Disable any unnecessary audio drivers.

Power settings on HIGH PERFORMANCE. Windows sounds and special effects off.

 

FROM CONTROL PANEL (NOT Settings), open SYSTEM, Advanced System Settings, Advanced Tab, Performance, Settings:
Visual Effects= Adjust for best performance
Performance Options Advanced Tab – Adjust for best performance of = Background Services

 

Helix Sample Rate (48k) matched in DAW. Buffers 128-256 work on most machines.

 

If all else fails, DPC Latency Checker can be a life saver!

 

Of course, these optimizations apply to Windows. You MAC kiddies don't have to worry - it always just works.....Right? ;-) <--SMILEY!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought about the wireless thing, but I guess I kinda figured that wasn't still a thing. Used to be a thing like 10 years ago, I just hoped they had figured that out by now... guess not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...