Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setlist Folder Management (Multiples)

xmacvicar

We all know the helix is limited to the certain number of setlist folders.

Just curious if there are many players who have multiple folders OUTSIDE of the Helix (on a computer, etc) that they swap or load when needed? 

Or does the space on the unit suffice?

Space on the unit is good for me....roughly:

1) Templates - single/dual amp versions of my 'stock' presets, acoustic/vox templates, etc.

2) Setlist of 'Stock' presets organized in a 'live' manor.  Usually have it setup for banks of 8 presets.  Presets arranged so that each bank shows 4 rhythm on the bottom and 4 lead versions of those rhythms on the top.  Each Bank is arranged to cover a style of music like dance rock, heavy rock, 80's etc.  I do this for the occasional crowd request I don't have saved in Setlist 3, and also for just jamming or learning songs.  Once learned, I'll use the sounds I like to create a preset in setlist 3...speaking of....

3) Setlist of songs saved as presets.  Organized for live work with my band in setlist order.  This bank I have set up as presets on the up/down, and showing 4 snaps on the bottom, and 4 stomps on the top row. 

4) I use for presets I download as sort of an in/out Setlist inventory, ones I like are then moved to Setlists 5 or 6

5/6) these are presets I like or have found that have something unique in them. 

3 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

Space on the unit is good for me....roughly:

2) ....Setlist of 'Stock' presets organized in a 'live' manor.  Usually have it setup for banks of 8 presets.  Presets arranged so that each bank shows 4 rhythm on the bottom and 4 lead versions of those rhythms on the top. 

3) ....This bank I have set up as presets on the up/down, and showing 4 snaps on the bottom, and 4 stomps on the top row. 

Ok cool. Since these settings are global, I assume you are going down to the helix and changing the behaviour between those 2 scenarios? 

10 hours ago, xmacvicar said:

We all know the helix is limited to the certain number of setlist folders.

Just curious if there are many players who have multiple folders OUTSIDE of the Helix (on a computer, etc) that they swap or load when needed? 

Or does the space on the unit suffice?

There is a good amount of preset space on the Helix but adding real setlist functionality to the Helix and editor would be a huge win and would make managing setlists infinitely easier no matter how much room is available on the Helix. Vote 'er up!  https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-Setlists-to-Helix/911976-23508

All of my patches are stored on my hard drive.  When I put a show together I simply load them up to a setlist or sometimes a series of setlists.  My most recent version of any patch will always be on my hard drive and automatically backed up using WD Smartware.

Would be great not having multiple copies of the same preset on Helix just to organize stuff. One could make some tweaks to a preset and end up with different presets that seem the same, because of the name.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, xmacvicar said:

Ok cool. Since these settings are global, I assume you are going down to the helix and changing the behaviour between those 2 scenarios? 

yes, I change them based on what my intention is for jamming. 

1 hour ago, Ka5par said:

Would be great not having multiple copies of the same preset on Helix just to organize stuff. One could make some tweaks to a preset and end up with different presets that seem the same, because of the name.

Yes, this is my editing nightmare.  If I make any tweaks to the 'Song' presets, or to my setlist with my stock tones for jamming, I have ot make sure and copy the blocks/preset to additional spaces.

Both/And.

For my regular weekly gig, I have to manage about 500 songs a year. So I set up I have four setlist banks:

1) Electrics A-M

2) Electrics N-Z

3) Atmospheric and hybrid patches (Hybrid=Variax layered Magnetic and modeled sounds)

4) Acoustics.

I have other groups that I perform with periodically throughout the year. For these, I maintain two empty banks that I fill with saved setlist, rotating them in and out as needed.

5) Group B setlist.

6) Group C setlist.

Finally, in the last two setlist banks I keep my patch templates as well as a library of favorite 3rd party and factory patches I keep around as starting points or just for jamming if I am in the mood to doing something different.

7) My templates setlist.

8) 3rd party and factory patches setlist.

Another advantage to keeping setlists 5 & 6 open is that I can reload old setlists of my own if I'm looking for a particular patch from the past or if I want to compare changes I have made to a patch to an earlier state of that patch. I have an "Init" setlist that will reset the setlist to a blank state in one fell swoop.

I also have most patches saved separately as well. I export copies of new patches or changed patches to folders the night before a gig. In this way I have rendundant copies in case a patch becomes corrupt.

Currently, I am using software titled GigPerformer to host and manage my VST synths (I use an FTP MIDI pickup). It provides me a lot of additional control for performances. I program and control my live song lists within it and it sends program changes and snapshot changes to my Helix. Prior to using GigPerformer, I used to load my relevant patches into either setlist 5 or 6 to create a setlist with my song patches in the correct sequential running order.

Hope that helps!

I find the available space functional and adequate, but I'd kill for a good librarian tool that:

• manages a primary (and maybe secondary) library of patches
  • can work with any of the back-up or export formats
  • recognises new versions when you've tweaked a patch once exported
  • allows offline creation of set-lists for uploading to the Helix
  • can add additional end-use meta-data to make management of patches easier
  • does good search of the library

That would give me a much better workflow for tweaking patches, managing them, and creating setlists for specific gigs without having to move patches around using Helix edit or the unit.

In fact, even better than killing for something like that I'd pay for a utility like that.