Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT Workflow

Gassin

Hi 

Am currently looking into the Helix LT. In a bid to get away from my computer I am looking into hardware alternatives. The helix LT looks perfect. 

My main concern is reliance on the editor when designing patchs from scratch. 

Does any of you guys and gals design your patchs solely from the hardware?

Do you find your self spending quite sometime at the computer with the mouse?

This is what I'm trying to avoid. If I can do the majority of patchwork simply from the hardware then I think this is the device for me. If not I'll probably look into a simpler set up that can be controlled comfortably from hardware. 

Look forward to hearing people's workflow with this thing.

Thanks,

Gassin

You won't find a simpler UI, and you can do everything from the box if you prefer, as long as you don't mind bending down to the floor constantly. Personally, I find the editor far easier to use, as I do more than enough squat-thrusts at the gym ;)...ymmv. 

Plus, backing up your patches on a computer really is a habit you want to get into, because if you don't sooner or later you're gonna lose stuff and be kicking yourself in the a$$. I backup every time I shut down for the day, even if I haven't changed anything significantly.

I never use HX Edit for building my patches.  I build all my patches (well over 200 of them at this point) solely from the interface.  I do use HX Edit for it's archiving/saving/backing up capabilities.  When I'm editing patches I have my Helix up on a bar to work with it so I'm not constantly bending down.  I guess my reason for this is I don't want to be hampered if I need to do something at a live gig, so I'm much more familiar with working on the unit than I am through HX Edit.

1 hour ago, Gassin said:

Hi 

Am currently looking into the Helix LT. In a bid to get away from my computer I am looking into hardware alternatives. The helix LT looks perfect. 

Do you find your self spending quite sometime at the computer with the mouse?

This is what I'm trying to avoid. If I can do the majority of patchwork simply from the hardware then I think this is the device for me. If not I'll probably look into a simpler set up that can be controlled comfortably from hardware. 

Look forward to hearing people's workflow with this thing.

Thanks,

Gassin

Hi Gassin,

Way back when the Helix was first launched in June 2015, it had to be edited via the hardware. Users were crying out for some sort of remote editing system, which arrived in September ‘15.  Excellent, well not really because that original software was more of a patch and IR librarian. Eventually the HX Edit software arrived and lots of folks were happy - mostly ones with back problems!

While editing presets I’m happy either way as I have my Helix Floor model on a sturdy stand at desk height. I can swivel my chair to the right for the push button, joystick experience or, spin to the left and take advantage of typing on a computer keyboard to swiftly enter a name for a patch. Either or, it’s whatever way you want to use it. I have it set up like that because I’m a studio rat and the Helix is tethered as my recording interface and it works best for me this way. Just have fun with the thing, but you will need to hook up to a computer at some stage to make backup and safety copies of all those wonderful tones you have made!

Just to add....I use the hardware to design a patch.  For me, turning knobs and moving joysticks are quicker than using HX edit.  Compared to its competitors, the Helix interface design is a stroke of genius.  It is very intuitive and extremely easy to use.  I mainly use HX Edit to load 3rd party IR's, backup patches, and update firmware.  Oddly enough, if HX Edit didn't have full editing, I'd probably be one of the many clamoring for it...ha.

I use the computer to set up my setup for the Helix LT. It is much more convenient and much clearer.
On the device itself the setting is also relatively comfortable and you don't have to rely on the PC.

However, I am astonished about the desire to prefer the operation on the device. :-)
I played Kemper for years and in this community many people have been complaining and begging for years that a PC editor should be available, as it should be natural for a modern device.  This year such an editor has been promised and is eagerly awaited.

7 hours ago, schuha_at said:

I use the computer to set up my setup for the Helix LT. It is much more convenient and much clearer.
On the device itself the setting is also relatively comfortable and you don't have to rely on the PC.

However, I am astonished about the desire to prefer the operation on the device. :-)
I played Kemper for years and in this community many people have been complaining and begging for years that a PC editor should be available, as it should be natural for a modern device.  This year such an editor has been promised and is eagerly awaited.

The grass is always greener...I guarantee that if/when a PC editor arrives for the Kemper, various forums will be lousy with gripes about how much easier it is to use the hardware. Guitarists all divide their time fairly evenly between whiny and crazy... ;)

Having been familiar with the UI from the native software plugin I've been using in the studio, using HX Edit makes sense for me.  But really, building something at home I'm usually in the studio and the unit is plugged into the computer so it's a mix of using the computer and the hardware unit.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the hardware on its own, but for me the combo makes it easy for me.  I've only played a couple gigs with my hardware unit so I made sure I knew the basics of it before I took it on the road.  I built a few patches of my own on the unit only and then made a few on the software only.  That helped me get a basic understanding of how to change something on the fly if I needed to at a gig.  Hope this helps.

I think it'll depend on how you gonna use the Helix.

If you use it for recording, all will be connected so it'll be as easy to use the two methods....

Personally, i've used the hardware for 90% of my settings.

The rare cases i haven't done so were because i had to change all my presets and remove all the cab sim from combos because i've bought the Powercab and use the inside model speakers. This was a really plus to work on Helix Edit 'cause i've noticed that when you pass from one combo model to a simple amp model it doesn't change the setups you've done before.

The other way i used the computer software, was when i plugged my variax and had to tweak the parameters....

So these are really specific stuffs. I think it can be a plus to work on HX Edit if you do a repetitive task too...

On 4/9/2019 at 7:08 AM, Gassin said:

FWIW... they are both simple to figure out. I prefer working on the hardware... but when I open HX Edit is just becomes "another way" to do it. I don't find it better, just different. 

The only time I "rely" on the editor is for backups/restores and IR management. Other than that, I really wouldn't miss it - yes, the UI on the hardware is that good - IMO.