Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Questions

rdl1louden

First off, I’m an HX Stomp newbie and completely excited with the countless opportunities unlocked with this new pedal.  I’m mainly using the Stomp as an “on pedalboard” amp and cab/ir simulator for live direct to house application.

Few questions:

1) I use Strymon Timeline and Big Sky for my wet effects.  Should I run those thru the Stomp using a FX s/r and internal FX block?  Or simply run the wet effects after Stomp?  Pros and cons with both approaches (e.g. quality differences)?

2). For FOH live application, I currently run out of my pedalboard into a Radial JDI passive direct box to mixing board.  How should the EQ be set on the mixing board to get the best/true sound reproduction?  I have pretty inexperienced sound engineers and I don’t want to have them tweak to death so it’s horrible and unrecognizeable.  I want to set myself to give some guidance.  I know the Stomp/Helix can translate great live just need some guidance.

3) Practice to Live.  My goal is to simulate at home to getting best tones at practice and setup that translate great live.  I am using a PA system at home.  Should I replace with FRFR monitors?  I want to ensure what I’m spending several hours tweaking at home works and is consistent live.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1) You can do either. It's too bad you didn't get the LT or Floor model, you could have used Command Center to switch Timeline presets via MIDI to match your Helix presets.

2-3) There's no sure cure for bad FOH engineers. That said, no matter what PA you have at home, it's not likely to sound like every PA you'll encounter in the wild. Best you can do, if you've got a decent PA (not like one of those Fender/Peavey suitcase things), create your presets through the PA at performance levels - at least >85-90db. That gets you over the Fletcher-Munson curve effect. Then at the gig you can use the Global EQ to accommodate differences in rooms and venue PA systems.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rdl1louden said:

Few questions:

1) I use Strymon Timeline and Big Sky for my wet effects.  Should I run those thru the Stomp using a FX s/r and internal FX block?  Or simply run the wet effects after Stomp?  Pros and cons with both approaches (e.g. quality differences)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I love my Stomp. I prefer to run additional effects either before or after the Stomp for a single reason - saving a block or two since the Stomp has the 6 block limit. That's the main advantage to that way, you save on blocks and on DSP.

The other way works too (through FX blocks) but the downside is obvious, you use a block. On the plus side, you can control those blocks with the Stomp's footswitches that can bring those effects in or out of your chain. However, to be honest, I'd rather just stomp on their footswitches and save a block. So my bias is clear. 

@rd2rk pointed out that with the LT or Floor model you can control the Timeline presets via midi, but don't fret too much. To some extent you can still do that. The Stomp will send midi preset messages whenever it changes its preset, and forward them on to other devices which if they accept midi in they will also change their preset.  If you line them all up it works great. Or, even better, you can purchase an affordable midi controller and use that as the master control taking care of all of it and opening up even more use of the Stomp. 

I dunno, I think you made a great choice, especially if you love your Timeline and Big Sky and don't want to give them up. Good questions though. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

with the LT or Floor model you can control the Timeline presets via midi, but don't fret too much. To some extent you can still do that. The Stomp will send midi preset messages whenever it changes its preset, and forward them on to other devices which if they accept midi in they will also change their preset.  If you line them all up it works great. Or, even better, you can purchase an affordable midi controller and use that as the master control taking care of all of it and opening up even more use of the Stomp. 

The FCB1010 is a good choice for this, as you can control the HX Stomp and 4 additional MIDI devices. In case you wanted to add more Strymons or?

It'll also give you two expression pedals that can be assigned to separate devices on a per preset basis, and if you do the UNO mod, you get 5 additional Stomp pedals with sync-able LEDs. It limits you to 100 presets, but that's most of the available Presets (42x3=126).

Also, while the Stomp doesn't yet allow MIDI bank changes, that function is listed as "reserved", so may be implemented later. On the full size Helix, the FCB can be programmed to select any Preset in any Bank with a single pedal press. Can't see any reason why they wouldn't eventually implement it on the Stomp.

My two cents.

1. Do not use the loop in the HX Stomp unless what's in the loop' has to be between other effects or amps in the HX Stomp. If you can put it before or after the HX stomp then do it.  This will cut down on noise and other issues.  
  2. I run directly to the board and I don't make any EQ adjustments on the board.  I use high and low cuts in the IRs and they sound great.  I use Pete Thorn's suggestion of 65 Hz and 7.5  kHz. The main reason for having EQ in the channel on a mixing board is because the microphone needs it for whatever reason.  Sometimes it's to cut out noise from other instruments like a low cut to keep the kick drum from bleeding through.  You don't have to worry about that.  The HX Stomp can give the board the best sounding signal, it shouldn't need any tweaking.
  3. I use headphones at home and I don't have to re-tweak for gig volume.  Maybe I've just been lucky but I don't have expensive headphones.  They are AKG K240s.  I use IEMs live and the monitors and mains are all QSC K12s.  I'm not saying you won't need to re-tweak, but don't overthink it yet.  

Some things you're going to have to just try and find out what works with your equipment and situation.  Good luck!