Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Loving My 500x

Steelmaster

Took my new 500X to practice last night and Wow. I am using it as an effects unit only and plugging into my Blackface Pro Reverb. This is one great sounding effects unit, and the ability to program set lists is the best thing of all for me. I'm playing in a Yes Tribute Band and if you know that music, you know just how much is expected from a guitar rig. I couldn't find many Yes patches and the ones I did were not very useful for me. I hunkered down and programmed my own and so far so good. The only tweak I need to do, is raise the volume on one setting. By putting the 500X in my rig I am eliminating two amps, a big pedal board, two analog delays and approximately  21 cords ranging from 3" to 20' ; that's 42 plugs that could go bad. Just my amp rig alone would fill my car, so that left no room for the 6 or 7 guitars I nedd for this gig. This is going to make my life much simpler.

A dream rig is cool and all, but I don't think it's really necessary -- the audience is getting the house mix anyway.  A big powerful clean full range monitor should do the trick for the player -- maybe something without tweeters.  As long as you don't clip anything in the chain and you consider evrything involved in the tone going into the HD unit, you can get really great tones.  I've posted some suggestions that may be of help if you're interested.  Since you are gigging with it, you might consider getting a backup PSU or 2.  That's a truly worthwhile investment.  Maybe leave 1 of 3 at your rehearsal space  to spare it the repeated wear of unplugging?  It would be a major bummer to show up to a gig with a broken PSU.

It's gonna take a full blown meltdown of my Pro Reverb before I consider anything else on stage amp wise. It's been in steady use by me since '76. Not too big into the Variacs either, they need a style makeover. How about a Steve Howe model like the one they made for him that is 335 shaped, I'd buy that?