Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshots - only need 5, how to make the others do nothing?

HerbachM

Newbie here.

I'm setting up a preset for a song, snapshots for 1) Intro, 2) Verse 3) Chorus 4) Bridge 5) Solo. Snapshots 6-8 are not needed. [I'll have a couple songs where I need only two snapshots - verse and chorus].

Right now, if you press the buttons for Snapshots 6-8, they go to the Intro tone. This is definitely something I do NOT want to have happen accidentally in the middle of a song. So my question is: is there a way to make un-needed snapshots do absolutely nothing? Preferably if I pressed the button it wouldn't even select?

Thanks for your help!

No. There are always 8 snapshots and they are always associated with the 8 foot switches (or 4 depending on your display mode). You can use some or all of the available snapshots while leaving some or all of them undifferentiated. 

I'm not sure what it would mean to have a Snapshot do 'absolutely nothing'. Do you mean there would be no sound at all from the device, like a mute switch? If not, what sound would you like it to make if not a copy of an existing Snapshot?

if you make a mistake with your footswitches and end up with the Intro Snapshot, does it really matter whether you've mistakenly hit one of switches 6-8 or switch 1 (the assigned Intro Snapshot)? Either way you've hit the wrong switch and get an unintended result. Similarly, if you hit the wrong switch you can sometimes end up in a whole new preset. 

Sometimes when I'm playing a guitar solo I pluck the wrong string and get a bad note. Not the guitar's fault! And I can't set the guitar to ignore all strings except the right one. Can't do it with footswitches on Helix either.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, HerbachM said:

Right now, if you press the buttons for Snapshots 6-8, they go to the Intro tone. This is definitely something I do NOT want to have happen accidentally in the middle of a song.

Although that is user error, I can see that you just want to "limit" the opportunities for errors. 

You say you are using 5 snapshots... that means there are 4 on the bottom, and 1 on the top. You don't accidentally click on an upper switch unless you are reaching for switch 5.... soooooo.... why not copy snapshot 5 into all the upper locations. Snaps 1 - 4 are on the lower buttons, snap 5 is the entire upper row! 

Essentially... take control of all 8 snapshots even if you duplicate some.

• Upvote 2

what I do is 'copy' my main rhythm preset (or whichever one will cause the least audible mistakes if pushed by accident) and 'paste' it into the snapshots I do not need.  Then to change the name, it wont let you just 'delete' out the name, but if you rename it and only enter an empty space, then on your display, it will show a blank nameplate.  I do this to help remove the visual clutter of seeing Snapshots 5-8 as most my songs only need 4, but I use the 8 Snapshot mode and only go into Stomp mode via the 'Mode' button as theres only 2 songs that really need that right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HerbachM said:

Right now, if you press the buttons for Snapshots 6-8, they go to the Intro tone. This is definitely something I do NOT want to have happen accidentally in the middle of a song. So my question is: is there a way to make un-needed snapshots do absolutely nothing? Preferably if I pressed the button it wouldn't even select?

This sounds like a good idea to post over at Ideascale. I'd vote for it!

16 hours ago, themetallikid said:

what I do is 'copy' my main rhythm preset (or whichever one will cause the least audible mistakes if pushed by accident) and 'paste' it into the snapshots I do not need.  Then to change the name, it wont let you just 'delete' out the name, but if you rename it and only enter an empty space, then on your display, it will show a blank nameplate.  I do this to help remove the visual clutter of seeing Snapshots 5-8 as most my songs only need 4, but I use the 8 Snapshot mode and only go into Stomp mode via the 'Mode' button as theres only 2 songs that really need that right now.

14 hours ago, rd2rk said:

This sounds like a good idea to post over at Ideascale. I'd vote for it!

Thanks! These are both great responses!

On 4/10/2019 at 7:31 AM, HerbachM said:

So my question is: is there a way to make un-needed snapshots do absolutely nothing? Preferably if I pressed the button it wouldn't even select?

I'm newbie too and I'm currently exploring the possibilities of using snapshots for sound changes during a song.
This feature seemed to me very handy.

It could help to reduce user erros by reducing the amount of the Snapshots of one preset.

Special for  the Helix LT, where you have no indication at the footswitch.

Anyway, there will be no solution to prevent a false handling.

Although slightly off topic... I think it would be great if we could just assign a footswitch to do whatever we want... a snap or a stomp.

Using this thread as an example... if I had three unused "snapshots" I'd love to just insert 3 stomps in those positions for quick access without changing modes. 

But I digress, that doesn't exist, it is a feature request, and we must work with what we have for the time being :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Although slightly off topic... I think it would be great if we could just assign a footswitch to do whatever we want... a snap or a stomp.

Using this thread as an example... if I had three unused "snapshots" I'd love to just insert 3 stomps in those positions for quick access without changing modes. 

But I digress, that doesn't exist, it is a feature request, and we must work with what we have for the time being :) 

AND... for those who are interested, this feature request is already up for vote on Ideascale. So hurry up and VOTE!

• Like 1