Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT vs FX just for effects

snootles

Hi,

I've been using the Helix LT in it's full glory but recently I've gone back to using amps and my pedalboard. I was thinking about getting the Helix Fx to replace my pedalboard.

So my question is this....should I just use the LT for effects only or is there any benefit in getting the Fx over the LT except for size?

Also, the LT has a main volume knob whereas the FX doesn't, how would you setup the LT for just effects?

4 hours ago, snootles said:

Hi,

I've been using the Helix LT in it's full glory but recently I've gone back to using amps and my pedalboard. I was thinking about getting the Helix Fx to replace my pedalboard.

So my question is this....should I just use the LT for effects only or is there any benefit in getting the Fx over the LT except for size?

Also, the LT has a main volume knob whereas the FX doesn't, how would you setup the LT for just effects?

There's nothing in the HX FX that isn't in the LT, so unless the footprint is gonna bother you, why spend money? 

If your amp has an FX loop, run the LT in 4cm. That way you can position FX blocks before or after the amp, wherever they belong. If there's no loop, then you have no choice but to run straight into the front of the amp, just like the good 'ole days.

IMO - stay with the LT and just don't use the amps when you don't need them

• The LT can do everything the FX does, times 2
  • The LT has the expression pedal built in, and a toe switch  (really handy if you use wah)
  • Even through you won't use the full amp models in a pedal board setup, the "pre-amp models" make great "amp in the box" pedals to change the characteristics of your tone when going straight into your amp. Or..... as mentioned above.... if your amp has an effects loop you can use the 4 cable method and choose between your amps pre-amp or the several pre-amps available in the Helix. 

Aside from the advantages in a live scenario the LT still has the Audio Interface should you ever need it, and the amp models may still come in handy for recording or practice situations. 

Just my 2 cents...

I have to second this. Only use effects here as well. Use the helix floor. A smaller foot print would be nice but what's nicer: 

Never running out of dsp 

Scribble strips

Midi instant on a bottom row of snapshots, stomps on the top row

Input/output galore 

Everything stated in the above post

Thanks for your answers. 

I suppose it makes sense to stay with the LT.

So if I'm using is just for effects are there any global settings I should change? 

The HX FX doesn't have a global volume which make sense. Is there anyway to disable the volume on the LT or should I set it on max and leave it there and adjust the levels of the individual fx?

1 hour ago, snootles said:

Thanks for your answers. 

I suppose it makes sense to stay with the LT.

So if I'm using is just for effects are there any global settings I should change? 

The HX FX doesn't have a global volume which make sense. Is there anyway to disable the volume on the LT or should I set it on max and leave it there and adjust the levels of the individual fx?

There are no special settings, other than don't add an amp or cab block. 

There was recently a bit of a intense debate about where to set the volume knob. The official Line 6 answer is to leave it maxed, but don't feel like leaving it somewhere else has proven to be world ending. The most common alternative approach seems to be to leave it at noon. Leave most of your volume adjustments within the digital presets. 

What I've personally done, being that it's essentially being used as a rack rig, is gone into global and basically shut off the master volume by assigning it to something I don't use. You wouldn't use a delay pedal to control your amp's volume would you?

That being said I do use a Boss FV500L as exp pedal 3. Assigned to control a volume pedal at the very end of the signal chain. Set to min volume of 20% and in global settings exp pedal 3 is set to global.

Sooooo... I run a volume pedal as an expression pedal to control a volume pedal. Hehe.... but... I don't have extra cables feeding the effects loop.

What would be amazing is if L6 would be able to set the master volume knob to be able to send midi commands.

The amp I use has a power soak feature controllable via midi. Now if I could make that completely controllable via the master volume knob??? Now we're talking!!!

6 hours ago, snootles said:

IMO: Set the 1/4" outs to INSTRUMENT LEVEL, then assign the Volume to XLR only. That takes the volume out of the equation and you should stay at instrument from input to output just like the HX Effects does.

8 hours ago, codamedia said:

IMO: Set the 1/4" outs to INSTRUMENT LEVEL, then assign the Volume to XLR only. That takes the volume out of the equation and you should stay at instrument from input to output just like the HX Effects does.

Thanks for this! I run out to the desk via XLR and out to amp via 1/4” and had been struggling with the amp sounding a bit dull. Didn’t think to set the volume only to XLR. Sounds great now. 

11 hours ago, codamedia said:

Excellent, thank you. That works perfectly.