Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No output from my new Helix LT

LucasF

Dear Line6 Forum,

I just received a new replacement unit for my Helix LT which is not working as supposedly;

I get no output from it at all (1/4" or Phones), but when used as a USB Interface I can still record with it and my tuner responds as well.

My presets' output settings seem to be completely normal, and I have tried to set the unit back to update 2.70 as well as restore it to factory settings, without success.

Since my local (Swedish) service center is on vacation until next week and I have a concert this weekend, I wanted to try my chances here.

Has anyone of you encountered the same problem? How did you solve it? Do you believe there any settings causing this or does it seem to be more of a hardware problem?

If the latter, I guess I have to wait until next week, but I just wanted to double check here and wish for the best first.

Grateful for you help.

Thanks,

Lucas

2 hours ago, LucasF said:

Dear Line6 Forum,

I just received a new replacement unit for my Helix LT which is not working as supposedly;

I get no output from it at all (1/4" or Phones), but when used as a USB Interface I can still record with it and my tuner responds as well.

My presets' output settings seem to be completely normal, and I have tried to set the unit back to update 2.70 as well as restore it to factory settings, without success.

Since my local (Swedish) service center is on vacation until next week and I have a concert this weekend, I wanted to try my chances here.

Has anyone of you encountered the same problem? How did you solve it? Do you believe there any settings causing this or does it seem to be more of a hardware problem?

If the latter, I guess I have to wait until next week, but I just wanted to double check here and wish for the best first.

Grateful for you help.

Thanks,

Lucas

Hi Lucas,

As suggested by "cruisinon2", above, you will probably only need to set your output to Multi.

Although you have also said that your preset output appears completely normal, I would suggest that you go to "Global Settings" > Ins/Outs. Then use the Page Button navigate to page 3 where you should set the output to "Multi" for both the "Volume Knob Control" and "Headphones Monitor" options.

Hope this helps and good luck with the concert.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi Lucas,

As suggested by "cruisinon2", above, you will probably only need to set your output to Multi.

Although you have also said that your preset output appears completely normal, I would suggest that you go to "Global Settings" > Ins/Outs. Then use the Page Button navigate to page 3 where you should set the output to "Multi" for both the "Volume Knob Control" and "Headphones Monitor" options.

Hope this helps and good luck with the concert.

21 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Set the output block to "multi" and see if that changes anything. 

Thank you both for your answers. Really appreciated.

My presets' output settings are all multi, at normal Db levels. For the "Global Settings", unfortunately, I saw they were also set at "Multi" already. 

Are there any other possible ideas? I get a signal via the USB cord, but not to the outputs...

Really grateful for your inputs and help.

This will sound condescending but I really don't mean it to be... I don't see it mentioned anywhere above so I must ask the question :)  Have you turned up the volume knob? 

Here are two tests you can run. Be careful with these as both bypass the volume knob so it could get really loud. 

• What happens if you set the volume knob to XLR Only in the Global settings then try the 1/4" out?
  • What happens if you insert a SEND BLOCK just before the output then try using that instead of the 1/4" out?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, LucasF said:

Thank you both for your answers. Really appreciated.

My presets' output settings are all multi, at normal Db levels. For the "Global Settings", unfortunately, I saw they were also set at "Multi" already. 

Are there any other possible ideas? I get a signal via the USB cord, but not to the outputs...

Really grateful for your inputs and help.

Hi,

It looks like “codamedia” just beat me to it with the suggestion to insert a send/return block before the output and connect your amp to the send. If that works then the problem is in the final output stage, we know that USB out is working fine.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, LucasF said:

Hi again, Lucas,

I have only just realised that you state that your attempt to revert to v2.70 and factory settings have not worked.

I have to ask if you tried all the various reset options to see if it clears the problem.

There are several options, and so as not to have to type them all out here - here’s a link to use for reference:

https://helixhelp.com/reset-options/

One of these button combinations might help blow the bugs out!

Failing that you will probably need to raise a ticket with tech support or contact the Swedish Service Centre when they re-open.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, datacommando said:

There are several options, and so as not to have to type them all out here - here’s a link to use for reference:

https://helixhelp.com/reset-options/

Great suggestion....

IMO: don't underestimate the power of the third option in that list... the global reset. As shown in that list.... not all "factory resets" include a global reset. It's easy to get lost in the global section and forget what the defaults should be and in the case of the OP.... there is no way to know what might have been changed on the replacement unit before being sent.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

You mention that you rolled back to 2.70. If the firmware rollback was successful did you also roll your HX Edit version back. Is the sound muted at the 1/4 outputs and headphones when you disconnect the USB from the computer and restart the LT? A global reset does sound like a likely place to find relief, if that does not work I would try updating the firmware again.

Not to belabor the obvious but since i don't see these mentioned here:

• Expression pedal is in the toe-down position
  • Probably good here as you are getting sound in tuner and USB but ensure guitar is plugged into the 'Guitar In' input and the Input block is set to Multi or Guitar, couldn't hurt to try another guitar and cable either
  • Have you tried alternate headphones or monitors/cables on the 1/4 output on the incredibly small chance that both the headphones and monitors have a cabling or hardware issue
  • Like 1

Thank you codamedia, HonestOpinion and datacommando for your clever ideas. I was really optimistic with all of them but, unfortunately, none seemed to be a solution. 

The lack of output still exists, it's like the pedal is completely dead or something. Fortunately, I will survive the concert without the pedal, but it's still bitter to not be able to use it.

My plan is to contact the Swedish service center asap now on monday. I will update you after that. Who knows, this could come to help someone else in the future.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:25 PM, codamedia said:

This will sound condescending but I really don't mean it to be... I don't see it mentioned anywhere above so I must ask the question :)  Have you turned up the volume knob? 

Haha no worries, the volume knob is for sure turned up.

11 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

You mention that you rolled back to 2.70. If the firmware rollback was successful did you also roll your HX Edit version back.

Is the firmware rollback for HX Edit also needed? I did not do that since it operated successfully with both versions.

Thank you all for your helpful answers, really appreciated it. It highlights the good spirits of the Line 6 community.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, LucasF said:

Thank you codamedia, HonestOpinion and datacommando for your clever ideas. I was really optimistic with all of them but, unfortunately, none seemed to be a solution. 

The lack of output still exists, it's like the pedal is completely dead or something. Fortunately, I will survive the concert without the pedal, but it's still bitter to not be able to use it.

My plan is to contact the Swedish service center asap now on monday. I will update you after that. Who knows, this could come to help someone else in the future.

Haha no worries, the volume knob is for sure turned up.

Is the firmware rollback for HX Edit also needed? I did not do that since it operated successfully with both versions.

Thank you all for your helpful answers, really appreciated it. It highlights the good spirits of the Line 6 community.

Good luck getting things fixed up properly. Sounds like a visit to the service center is the way to go at this point.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1