Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Into Amp Return for Power Amp Use

Beetlejuice69

New Helix Floor owner here. I LOVE it!

I'm experimenting with using just the power amp section of my Mesa F-100 head (it's about 15 years old).

The Setup:  I can go guitar>helix>mesa head fx loop return. This bypasses ALL mesa controls except fx loop knob (which which ranges from 0 to 100). This setup has me using just the power amp part of the head. 

The Question:  Should I treat the mesa fx loop knob as the "master volume knob" (and send max signal out of helix main out)...or should I set mesa fx loop knob to 100 and treat helix main out as "master volume"?

FYI: The mesa fx loop is parallel and I'm sending instrument level signal to it, as it's designed to receive

Thanks!

We used to do this with a keyboard into a Fender RocPro half stack as a keyboard amp for stage use.  I don't believe it had a volume knob for it but I also did this with a rack mount preamp into a 200 watt power amp that had a knob.  I would use the volume knob on the amp as the final volume that went through the speakers.  So, run your Helix at whatever level you'd like and into the loop return, using the FX loop knob as your "master volume".  I'd start there and experiment if you feel that's needed.  I feel like that gave me better control of volume overall.  You should be fine with that setup, though.  Good luck.

I think you could really do either.  I run my helix into the fx line in on an Ampeg VH-140.    No return volume knob on the amp so all of the volume control comes from the Helix floor unit.  The advantage of this is that the volume control is right near you as opposed to being on your amp.  Not a big deal but it does prevent you from having to walk over to your amp to fiddle a knob.