Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X CD/MP3 Input for Music from PC

danfzx14

I want to have the ability to hear backing tracking tracks that I have on my PC thru my headphones while playing my guitar. I'm thinking I would go out the USB port on my PC to the CD/MP3 Input on the POD to achive this.  Some of the devices I have seen that I think might work are:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EK1OTZC/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A172LXRNAST084&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Q5W46C/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Would any of these actually work for this task? Does anybody have any devices they recommend for what I am trying to do?

I'm not looking to spend a lot of dough as I only use the POD with headphones when its nice outdoors and the windows to the house are open and I don't want to disturb the neighborhood. Typically I play thru my amp a Marshall DSC40C.

Thank you for any and all help!

Maybe I did not explain it right or I am wrong .....

Headphones are plugged into the POD. Guitar is plugged into the POD. Music resides on the computer. Computer only has an optical output for sound & is already supporting 2 other devices. I am unaware of a USB cable that will plug directly from the computer into the POD CD/MP3 Input and give me sound thru the headphones while I am playing guitar.  I believe some sort of analog to digital conversion must take place correct? Hence the devices I inquired about.

12 hours ago, danfzx14 said:

Maybe I did not explain it right or I am wrong .....

Headphones are plugged into the POD. Guitar is plugged into the POD. Music resides on the computer. Computer only has an optical output for sound & is already supporting 2 other devices. I am unaware of a USB cable that will plug directly from the computer into the POD CD/MP3 Input and give me sound thru the headphones while I am playing guitar.  I believe some sort of analog to digital conversion must take place correct? Hence the devices I inquired about.

The Analogue to Digital converter is built into the Pod, you don't need any additional device.

When you plug the Pod through USB, the Pod acts like a sound card and you can play the tracks through this card. You can even record from the Pod through USB.

After you plug in the Pod, if you got to control panel (System preferences in Mac) you should be able to see the Pod as a audio device.

2 hours ago, olds70ragtop said:

PianoGuyy, case not closed.

Stay in your lane, bro. 

It absolutely plays through the headphones, unless: 

1. there is some detail that we are missing (which I asked in my first post)

2. someone changed the configuration (which @Strat2Die4 touched on)

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, olds70ragtop said:

Strat2Die4, I don't think it will flow audio from the PC back to the headphones jack on the POD, will it? It it will, than perfect solution.

PianoGuyy, case not closed.

That's exactly what it will do.   If you install the drivers it looks just like another sound card to the PC.  You can change to using that for your sound card in Sound/Volume control settings.  You can even use is for a recording interface.

On 4/12/2019 at 4:03 AM, Strat2Die4 said:

The Analogue to Digital converter is built into the Pod, you don't need any additional device.

When you plug the Pod through USB, the Pod acts like a sound card and you can play the tracks through this card. You can even record from the Pod through USB.

After you plug in the Pod, if you got to control panel (System preferences in Mac) you should be able to see the Pod as a audio device.

Thank you for your detailed answer. I was able select the POD as an audio device and voila sound came thru my headphones. Exactly what I was looking to do. Wish I would have known about this all along... Better than a cheap solution is a free one. A great big thank you to all that did respond and help out!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is a question related to this thread. There is an AUX input and an mp3 input on the HD500x. I assume that the difference between these 2 is just a statement of expected voltage levels and impedance levels. Is that right? And when you see a device with 'Line Out' which of those 2 would you expect to best match? 

Also I assume that both of these inputs just go directly to the output (mixed with whatever the POD is doing) and there is no sampling, conversion to digital and back stuff going on. Is my assumption correct here? I was a casual (very) user a number of years ago and am just now getting my HD500X back out of the closet. 

dave

Q1) No, that’s not right. There is actually a huge difference between the two. The Aux input can be selected as a path Input and routed along the signal processing path. If not selected as an Input the signal is not processed and does not appear at any Output. The CD/MP3 input does not need to be selected. The input signal is routed directly to the Outputs and is not routed internally to the signal processing.  The cd/MP3 input is Line level. The Aux input is selectable I believe - Instrument or Line level.

2) Same answer as above. Only the CD/MP3 input is routed as you describe.

• Like 1