Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Internet /amp connection for backing tracks

Hankon6

Is there a way in which I can patch in my Spider 240 into the internet for backing track use ?  I would like to use my head phones connected to the amp and hear not only the Amp output but also some backing track lessons piped through also from the internet. amd have both sounds in my head set.

Thanks

Hank

Unless I misunderstand the question, all you need to do is install the Line 6 USB audio drivers on your computer.  The computer should use the amp instead of the computer's sound card, and the computer audio will come out the amp's headphone jack along with the guitar as you play.  You can also play along with Youtube videos, .wav files, midi songs, whatever. 

Thanks for the response.  What are the hookups for computer to amp...the 3.5mm jack in the back of the amp? Where does it connect to on the Pc......the HGMI output on the video card?  I thought this thru ALOT!  What I came up with is....using an Audio extractor from the Video card, ( in my case lt is a mini HDMI cable to an extractor's regular HDMI input). No video putput will be used at this time.  The extractor's 3.5mm audio out put jack will go directly to th back of the amp via a 3.5mm make to male trs cable. This will give me the audio from the PC while I use the head phone jack.  This will provide me with the guitar and Pc audio into my head phone both at once.....I think this will work...it may not be the best solution, but in theory this should do it.  If it works I will be able to play music tracks with my guitar and the wife will be able to sleep or at least I would not wash out her audio on her tv up stairs.  All will be quiet and I can blow my ear drums out!!!! Just kiddin'!!!  Side benefit will be to utilize the several long lessons I purchased from Next Level Guitar and utilize my PC instead of my HDTV on the wall.  I will have plenty of room sitting (production studio...(actually my computer desk LoL)!!!! I have order th cables and th Audio Extractor and they should be here In a week or two. I'll let all at this thread know how it turns out.  A true Experiment!!!! BTW...An audio extractor pulls out the audio in an HDMI feed and splits it out to an Optical or a 3.5mm output jack in stereo if you use a TRS cable hookup. The Spider V 240 (i think ,,,if mono then no big deal) has a stereo 3.5mm jack at the rear so that anything that runs thru the cable from the PC will be able to fully utilize the connection.

14 hours ago, Hankon6 said:

What are the hookups for computer to amp...the 3.5mm jack in the back of the amp? Where does it connect to on the Pc......the HGMI output on the video card?

I just use the USB connection, but my amp is a V60 so it may be different from yours.  On mine there are two USB jacks on the back with a tiny selector switch.  The computer connects to the larger square shaped one using a standard USB printer cable.  The little jack is for a USB phone connector.  My amp does not have HDMI as far as I know. 

USB digital audio has been a little bit buggy due to windows 10 issues.  I've encountered the Windows audio graph isolation bug which locks up all audio, and another issue involving the power conservation settings which turn off the USB for no readily apparent reason.  Once the USB interface is working and the Spider V is the computers sound card for output and recording it becomes a rather powerful tool.  The looper feature built into the amp is a bit limited, but using the computer you can create any chord progression or multi track recording that you want and play along with it. 

I do not have an HDMI at the amp either. The HDMI hook up is with the Video card in the PC to the Audio extrator box. Then a male 3.5mm is pluged into the back of the amp and into the output 3.5mm jack in the Audio extrator. This enables the PC sound to directly go to the Amp and pickuped up by the head phones.  Which of course picks up the guitar sound. So it is seamless. But I have not tried the USB to USB! That sounds very easy. 

Glad Line 6 has USB available on the Spider V besides the 3.5mm AUX connection.  USB allows for a lot more flexibility in the long term if you also may be using the PC as a digital audio workstation (DAW).    Besides playing backing tracks from your PC or Macintosh, you can record the Amp without adding the cost of microphones and so on to record your guitar and effects.

Despite an 3.5mm audio jack on my Samsung S9, I use USB with the little Samsung adapter that was included with my smartphone to do backing tracks during travel where I don't want to lug a laptop or PC along as well.    I use the excellent Android app "Audio Evolution Mobile Studio" as my DAW when on the road.   But you can record by USB on the phone with pretty much any audio capture application.    Same with iPhones.     

On 4/16/2019 at 11:19 AM, SeaRefractor said:

Glad Line 6 has USB available on the Spider V besides the 3.5mm AUX connection.  USB allows for a lot more flexibility in the long term if you also may be using the PC as a digital audio workstation (DAW).    Besides playing backing tracks from your PC or Macintosh, you can record the Amp without adding the cost of microphones and so on to record your guitar and effects.

Despite an 3.5mm audio jack on my Samsung S9, I use USB with the little Samsung adapter that was included with my smartphone to do backing tracks during travel where I don't want to lug a laptop or PC along as well.    I use the excellent Android app "Audio Evolution Mobile Studio" as my DAW when on the road.   But you can record by USB on the phone with pretty much any audio capture application.    Same with iPhones.     

Could you yell me Exactly the type of USB cable and the type of connections on it.  Also, do you connect one side of the cable to the usb connection at the amp and where does the other end connect to on the PC?  And will this produce the audio to the amp? The audio should only be heaerd in the plugged in headphone...is that right?

I gathered a few bits of iput from you all .....here and there...and IT IS DONE!!!!!!  After purchasing a few needless items , I realized that the speakers that were attached to my PC (5.1 Surround) has a 3.5mm jack in the main control speaker.  I used my male to male 3.5 cable to hook up to the speaker and the AUx in the amp and ......VOILA!!!!   Total success .  And after a few cartwheels accross the room , another item to check off my music journey TO DO list!!!!!! Thanks all for the inputs.......especially the 3.5mm!   All that extra effort that went nowhere untol I used the easiest method available.  Now all the speakers can shut off when the jack is plugged in.  This is ideal for what I was using this method for.  I plug my headphones into the amp and insert the 3.5mm cable into the speaker and pure silent mode.  I will be able to hear and play with the sound tracks and guitar without waking the wife up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 8:40 PM, Hankon6 said:

Could you yell me Exactly the type of USB cable and the type of connections on it.  Also, do you connect one side of the cable to the usb connection at the amp and where does the other end connect to on the PC?  And will this produce the audio to the amp? The audio should only be heaerd in the plugged in headphone...is that right?

Sorry, was away from the Interweb for a bit.    While you are all set with the 3.5mm cable and may not need this detail, I'm updating for others that may read this thread.

For a PC and Android, the cable is USB "B".   These can be had pretty cheap online for around $6.00, I have a nice gold plated one from Amazon Basics that works well for me. 

For iOS, the cable is USB to lighting.

There is also a switch on the back of the amp that needs to be moved to the correct setting.