Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Removing bridge pickup from Variax Standard

FerreroRocher

Hi!

As the title says, I would like to remove the bridge pickup from my Standard.

Just remove it, not put any kind of replacement pickup!

I wonder is it ok to just remove it and leave everything as it is or do I have to do something with the remaining wires?

The reason I want to do that is because I would like to add both Roland GK3 pickup and Fishman TriplePlay on Standard. Unfortunately, there is just not enough space between the bridge pickup and bridge to do that. That way I would have just one electric guitar for all my home-studio needs.

Thanks! :-)

1 minute ago, psarkissian said:

GK-3 should fit without removing the pick-up. Same for the Triple Play.

Yes if I want to put GK3 OR TriplePlay but I want them BOTH at the same time.

There is no enough space for both those pickups.

So, can I just remove bridge pickup without worrying about "empty" wires?

Electrical tape the open ends so they don't short to anything.

You may have some differences in the sound when in magnetics mode, as the load on that line is changed,

and toggles-1 and -2 have no bridge pick-up to go to.

That will throw off the load in those two lines. Might try putting a 6.8k-Ohm resistor across there and wrap it in

electrical tape so it doesn't short anything. Might be able to load match that line that way.

And remember,.... Line 6 does not endorse or support modifications to its product. And that would void any warranties.

If these mods you're doing fails, and you send the guitar to me for repair, the most I can do is to put it back to its factory

default state. And that would be a non-warranty repair.

I've service close to 1,700 of these (as of today), I want you to be aware of what you're are getting yourself into.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

Electrical tape the open ends so they don't short to anything.

You may have some differences in the sound when in magnetics mode, as the load on that line is changed,

and toggles-1 and -2 have no bridge pick-up to go to.

That will throw off the load in those two lines. Might try putting a 6.8k-Ohm resistor across there and wrap it in

electrical tape so it doesn't short anything. Might be able to load match that line that way.

And remember,.... Line 6 does not endorse or support modifications to its product. And that would void any warranties.

If these mods you're doing fails, and you send the guitar to me for repair, the most I can do is to put it back to its factory

default state. And that would be a non-warranty repair.

I've service close to 1,700 of these (as of today), I want you to be aware of what you're are getting yourself into.

Thank you very much for the reply and warning, but since my guitar is not under warranty, that's not a problem.

Also, I plan on using only modeling sounds so that also won't be a problem.

Thanks again!

5 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Keep the remaining pick-ups at the correct distance from the strings to prevent the magnets

from pulling on the strings and inducing warbling,... the piezos can amplify the effect, and it's

even more so when using Alt Tune. 

Excellent tip, thank you!

I would never have thought of that.

Well, since I don't plan to use magnetic pickups, then I will lower them as much as possible if that can reduce the warbling. Do you think it would make sense to remove them completely since I don't plan on using them or is it enough to just lower them to minimum height?

• Downvote 1

Lowering them as far as possible can be just as bad.

It's a matter of the field strength, and where the null points are.

3-4 millimeters between E-strings and pole piece is sufficient.

Remove them all, no. The circuitry wants to see something there.

• Like 1