Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tube preamp stompbox with Helix and Powercab advice

jordimbrinkman

Hi all,

Since about 3 months I switched from full tube setup to Helix floor + Powercab 112 plus. Reason to travel more light. It's a fun and intuitive setup. However I have not managed to get my basic sounds even close to the authentic sound and punch I was used to. Too digital, too processed. I have went through all possible settings, tweaks, research to ensure to get the best out of the tools. I'm not convinced it can deliver the sound 'with balls' which is a default with any tube amp. Sound used to be my strong side during gigs, it has now become my weakness. The band and audience  even tell me my sound is not in comparison with the other guitarist (simple tube amp and few pedals). Can't here you, not defined tone etc. My Helix journey is becoming a frustration and want to enjoy playing again instead. 

Here the reason of my post. As a final solution, before deciding to sell my Helix and powercab, I am considering to buy a good tube preamp pedal (e.g. Mesa Boogie V-twin, Koch Pedaltone and loop it with the helix. That could give me those true basic sounds. I'd use the tube pedal as amp channels exclusively and use the Helix for effects and programs basically. This solution would still allow me to travel light.

Does anyone now if above could be a good solution or would I still miss the tube sound from a power amp? Also does anyone know if tube pedals allow the Helix to select the different channels from the pedal (so you can program clean/overdrive/high gain in presets like you can with 4 cabling method with tradional amps)?

Appreciate any advice/experience sharing on above (no need to convince I should continue Tweaking my Helix, I tried all. Simply not satisfied and not enjoying the journey any longer).

Thanks!

4 hours ago, jordimbrinkman said:

Hi all,

Since about 3 months I switched from full tube setup to Helix floor + Powercab 112 plus. Reason to travel more light. It's a fun and intuitive setup. However I have not managed to get my basic sounds even close to the authentic sound and punch I was used to. Too digital, too processed. I have went through all possible settings, tweaks, research to ensure to get the best out of the tools. I'm not convinced it can deliver the sound 'with balls' which is a default with any tube amp. Sound used to be my strong side during gigs, it has now become my weakness. The band and audience  even tell me my sound is not in comparison with the other guitarist (simple tube amp and few pedals). Can't here you, not defined tone etc. My Helix journey is becoming a frustration and want to enjoy playing again instead. 

Here the reason of my post. As a final solution, before deciding to sell my Helix and powercab, I am considering to buy a good tube preamp pedal (e.g. Mesa Boogie V-twin, Koch Pedaltone and loop it with the helix. That could give me those true basic sounds. I'd use the tube pedal as amp channels exclusively and use the Helix for effects and programs basically. This solution would still allow me to travel light.

Does anyone now if above could be a good solution or would I still miss the tube sound from a power amp? Also does anyone know if tube pedals allow the Helix to select the different channels from the pedal (so you can program clean/overdrive/high gain in presets like you can with 4 cabling method with tradional amps)?

Appreciate any advice/experience sharing on above (no need to convince I should continue Tweaking my Helix, I tried all. Simply not satisfied and not enjoying the journey any longer).

Thanks!

You stuck this in the wrong forum.  

To answer your question though, no one can possibly know how you'll react to doing that. For example, your complaint makes zaro sense to me.  If I can't even understand where you're coming from, how can I possibly answer whether or not you'll like a different approach? 

I'm not at all your audience though . . . .I wouldn't take your tube amp if you gave it to me (well, okay, I WOULD - then I'd sell it).

You're this far in though - why not try it?  Then if it all sucks return it. 

Go back to what you know, and go back to what you like if it doesn't work, but it can't hurt to try it when you already have half the gear in your possession.