Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cannot use HX Stomp as PC midi interface

markbrid

Hello all, am having problems getting the HX to work as a midi interface on a Win10 tablet.  It works perfectly as an audio interface for the tablet, and controller midi input will operate the HX itself, but the midi does not work as an interface to the tablet.  I have tried all combinations of settings in MIdi/Tempo Global Settings, and the only way I can get midi in to an application (such as midiox) is to set USB Midi to On, and Midi Thru to On.  If I set it this way, a midi controller input to the HX will cause a large number of spurious events that can only be stopped by turning Midi Thru or USB Midi to Off.  It's almost as if there is a midi feedback loop going.  In any other parameter setup there is no midi input to the PC app.

Midiox is recognizing the HX Stomp as a midi device in its settings as well.  So I'm a bit stuck, any help would be appreciated.  The firmware version in the HX is 2.71.0.  Thanks.

As you know, MIDI OX is not really supported. I've seen the Never-ending event stream with som controllers, not others. 

What exactly are you trying to control on the tablet? What controller are you using into the HX?

Thanks for the response.  I'm using an Arturia Beatstep's midi out to the midi in of the HX.  If I look at the Beatstep into Midiox using a Edirol USB midi interface, it looks correct (note on and note off as expected, and aftertouch if a pad is pressed while being held down after the note on).  In the HX, a tap of the pad will cause several pages of midi events, multiple note on and note offs.  Also the Beatstep will reliably switch patches and parameters on the HX itself.  The HX simply will not reliably pass data from its midi in to an app on the PC.

I haven't had any issues with midiox with a working interface, have developed a few midi projects with it and it has proven to be accurate to me.  It is easier to troubleshoot with as often say a DAW may have no real feedback to tell if there is a midi issue, where midiox gives you great info if you know what you're looking at.

The other app I'm trying to use is Mixcraft 8.  When using the HX as a midi interface, the Beatstep as a controller, and using Learn mode in Mixcraft, there are very intermittent and erratic results.  However if the HX is removed and the Edirol installed, the Beatstep can easily and reliably control Mixcraft.

It is clear in my troubleshooting that the HX is at fault, and it looks like a bug, unless the HX is not intended to be a midi interface for a PC.

I've got four possible ways to connect MIDI instruments to my computer - Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface (direct); FCB1010/UNO floorboard(thru);HX Floor(thru);DIN to USB Interface.

Testing four devices - Seiko DS-250 Synth;Alesis eDrums;FCB1010/UNO;Helix.

Using MIDIOX, testing each midi interface separately, no problems UNTIL I connect the interface that the eDrums are on. As soon as I connect (in MIDIOX) whatever interface that the eDrums are on, the endless data stream begins. It doesn't end until I disconnect (in MIDIOX) the device that the eDrums are on and clear the display.

Using a VSTi MIDI Monitor in Reaper, no problems at all with any configuration, regardless of what MIDI interface I use for the eDrums.

Conclusion: There's no problem with the Helix as MIDI Interface, with any MIDI device EXCEPT eDrums, and ONLY when monitoring with MIDIOX. Regardless of   whether I'm using USB or DIN.

MIDIOX has a problem with eDrum data, regardless of the interface used to connect the eDrums.

Since your Beatstep is more like a drum machine than a synth, that could be the source of the problem. Why you're getting strange results in Mixcraft I can't tell you, as I don't have Mixcraft to test. If there's a free demo version of Mixcraft that isn't MIDI or VST crippled, I'll give it a try later, if for no other reason than that I've never used it (Reaper, Sonar, LIVE, Protools, Cubase another one I can't remember, but not Mixcraft - it'll be FUN!).