Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with tone on spider V

Jamesjohnson28

Of course you can create that. Though there are a lot of variables to get the exact sound.  For example:

1. Telecaster guitar (or something very similar). 

2. Amp type: Most of the classic country amps were Fender. I'd start with the Spider's Double Verb which is a model of the 1965 Fender Blackface Twin Reverb. If that didn't work for you I'd move on to the Double Show next. Ultimately though, there are numerous amps that could fill the bill for you.  The trick is knowing what settings on the original tube amp did it, and WHY, so that you can try to dial it in on the modeled amp. 

3. Compressor - Start with the MXR Dynacomp. I'd begin with the sustain at 40% and the level at 80%. You're likely going to have to adjust to taste here depending on all the other settings as well as how you tend to play. 

4. Delay - Begin with the analog delay model. Have the feedback low (you're usually after single repeats). Adjust delay time to taste, but usually you'll be on the shorter end of things. 

5. Reverb - I don't know that this is needed, but I'm just going to throw this out there that to me just about everything sounds better with at least some reverb, including country twang. 

The above is where I would start to find your sound.  Just like in a real world setup, there will be tweaking to be done. It takes practice and experimentation. You should also do a search in Line 6's "CustomeTone" section (https://line6.com/customtone/search/?submitted=1&family=spiderv&search_term=country) for country and check out a number of those presets to see if any previous users have already nailed the sound you are after.  If they have, by all means use it, BUT you should still carefully review what they did and how so that you can learn to do it yourself.

The Spider V is a very versatile amp. With patience and practice you can get it to sound like just about anything. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1