Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Footswitch Replacement For The 500 ?

geppert

I have one foot switch on my POD HD500 that is "behaving badly", meaning that it needs a hard (ish) push to engage not just a quick tap like the rest.

So ….

1) wondering if any of you have sourced replacement switches ??

2) has anyone done a switch replacement themselves?

I could also consider swapping the switch (F2) with another on the unit I don't use regularly.

The whole issue is not all that big a deal but it just bugs me (technical term) a little. I am also thinking it might be signs of an upcoming switch failure?

You may want to bring it in to an authorized repair center and let them inspect it. I had a number of foot switches on a X3 Live model fail, and had to get them all replaced. They are either the same or very similar to the ones used on the HD500 I believe. The updated foot switches on the HD500X were a welcome upgrade.

I haven't done the switches on a POD but I have done similar switches before and generally its the spring inside that gets compressed and doesn't force the contacts down hard enough anymore.  You can always try just expanding the springs a bit and a little contact cleaner.  Don't overdo it though...  The switches themselves don't usually fail but solder joints can occasionally crack.

Here is a great article that shows everything you need to know.  The spring advice is in the "HERE'S THE GOTCHYA:" section...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/m9-m13-tricks-626972/index29.html

This vid shows how to clean and lube the switches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-JUStkzZ0I#t=2

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

These foot switches are really frustrating. I've cleaned them numerous times and now the FS5 is unreliable which makes it unusable at gigs to loop with..... The foot switches are very poorly designed and noisy as hell on a quiet stage if you're doing softer music as well. I often do semi acoustic music and the condenser mics will pick up the clicking noise of the switches....

I love the sound of the POD HD500 and I'm a guy that used to hate digital modeling.... but it sounds very real to me, especially when used through a tube amp. I just wish these foot switches were made better.

I'd love to upgrade to the HD500x as i already know my way around the unit and have 100's of presets for it that I've crafted myself but $$ is tight with me at the moment..... :(