Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bass - POD HD500X into Fender Rumble 500

ptran43

I'm trying to get my bass guitar setup for live use.  I've got a POD HD500X and am planning to get a Fender Rumble 500 to use as a stage monitor.  Am I able to turn off the amp/cab sims and use the POD for effects only?  My thought is that I could then use the XLR out from the Rumble to go to FOH/PA.  Not sure what I'd need to select on the 1/4" out switch and the output setting in the menu.

I'd like to use pitch shift (so I don't have to bring extra guitars or re-tune as often) along with some compression and maybe a bit of distortion, reverb/delay.

Any other aspects that I've overlooked??

Turning the amp models on and off isn't a simple on/off switch that can be used "for the times I do/don't have an amp" 

Also, any 'tone' you create with an amp model is going to be based around the tone of the model, therefore it will be tonally devastated by the removal of the model. 

The better thing would be to create tones for an amp without an amp model and tones for ampless with an amp model. 

In addition, using XLR out of your amp is not going to give you the same tone out of the pa. Your bass speaker/cab are going to be included with what you hear but not what comes out of the pa. 

17 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

Turning the amp models on and off isn't a simple on/off switch that can be used "for the times I do/don't have an amp" 

Also, any 'tone' you create with an amp model is going to be based around the tone of the model, therefore it will be tonally devastated by the removal of the model. 

The better thing would be to create tones for an amp without an amp model and tones for ampless with an amp model. 

Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post.  I would be creating patches that do not have amp/cab models, and would only use these patches when connected to the Fender Rumble.

17 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

In addition, using XLR out of your amp is not going to give you the same tone out of the pa. Your bass speaker/cab are going to be included with what you hear but not what comes out of the pa. 

Wouldn't this be true even if I went straight from bass guitar to the Rumble?  At that point, it's up to the sound guy?  I'm very new to live sound, so don't have any experience in the area.

26 minutes ago, ptran43 said:

I would be creating patches that do not have amp/cab models,

Ok. Good. 

We've had people thinking that it was exactly what I described - an on/off button. 

27 minutes ago, ptran43 said:

Wouldn't this be true even if I went straight from bass guitar to the Rumble?  At that point, it's up to the sound guy?  I'm very new to live sound, so don't have any experience in the area.

Well... yes and no. You should have your tone ready to go, and then the sound guy just amplifies it and adjusts it for the room. But, too many groups have 4 individual tones instead of 1 band tone, and then the sound guy has to adjust everything to be something completely different than what you individually intended. 

Also, most cabs are going to be mic'd, not XLR'd. That allows for the pa tone to hear what you hear.  

But the point of it is -  when you are designing tones, you at least want to have some semblance of what they are hearing. If your amp/speaker/cab is part of the tone you hear, it needs to be part of the tone sent to the pa. 

I looked up your amp. 

There is another option: 

Create your tones with amp models. 

Use the Pod's XLR direct to the PA. Use the Pod's 1/4" into your amp's fx loop. 

This does 2 things

1. it allows you to monitor yourself while being separated from the pa - such as if you needed a little extra volume, you could turn yourself up without messing with the volume of the pa. 

2. it bypasses the "tone" section of the amp, allowing you to use it as just a power amp. It won't be a 100% exact clone of what the pa gets but will be much much closer. 

I appreciate you taking the time to discuss my particular situation/amp!  So it looks like the best options are:

1) POD without amp/cab sim into Rumble.  Then Rumble XLR out to PA.  In this case, the output mode would be set to "Combo Front".  This would use the Rumble pre and power amps.  Any adjustment to volume would affect the PA.

2) POD with amp model PRE and no cab model selected.  Then POD XLR out to PA.  In this case, the output mode would be set to "Combo Pwr Amp".  I could adjust volume without affecting the PA.  Since the POD XLR outs are Right and Left (neither are mono), I'd have to pan the mixer to center?  Or would I pan all the way to Right (if using the Right output jack)?

I think I'm getting closer to understanding this stuff haha.