Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix channel swithing with Mesa single rectifier problem

mikras

I have connected Helix with four cable method to Mesa Single v2. Also I have connected 1xTRS+2xmono ( Y-cable) cabels into helix ext amp and Mesa Single Rectifier's rear pannel channel and solo. I can get the switching work but, then, Infernal buzzing and humming starts. I killed the humming with Behringer microhd hd400 but theres comming this electrical buzzing noise from inside the Mesa when swtiching the clean channel's "pushed" switch on!! Is the Helix even compatible with Mesa single rectifier when changing channels (ext amp) or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for advise.

I have the same amp and have it set up the same as you -- except I am running a mono cable from the Helix to the Channel switch on the back of the amp.  I don't have any hum or any issues with extra noise.  Try ditching the Y cable and use one cable for the channel switch.  If you don't have any hum, I would guess that your Y cable method is causing a ground loop issue. 

FWIW, I use the Helix's Simple EQ block as a boost instead of using the Mesa Solo switch.  

13 hours ago, mikras said:

One question more. Do I need to set out put to line or instrument?

I am using the same Y cable as you though it took me two times to decide the one I wanted activated when switching the channel and I place my hum eliminator at the final stage - the footswitch jack on the amp.  I do not have any hum.  I am using instrument.  One caveat is all my equipment runs into a single well grounded circuit via a power conditioner as well; in addition I always have a three light receptacle tester with me.

One question more. Do I need to set out put to line or instrument?

I read some old forum where was mentioned that single rectifier's effects loop is line level.

"I spoke with Boogie on the phone today and wanted to post the answer incase anyone hits this thread through a search in the future.
The loop is line level."

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21239

Do I need to change the 1/4 out to line or the fx loop block (amp) to line or just leave to instrument? is there any difference? Confused..

On ‎04‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, mikras said:

Do I need to change the 1/4 out to line or the fx loop block (amp) to line or just leave to instrument? is there any difference? Confused..

I'll double check when I get to the Helix this evening

I think I need to also adjust return and send levels of fxloop..? At band practise session I did not get as great tones out of my single rectifier as I get when connected straight to amp! (I have modified the parallel fxloop to series, so that should not be an issue) I have also set the volume knob to control XLR only from global settings.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:03 PM, mikras said:

I think I need to also adjust return and send levels of fxloop..? At band practise session I did not get as great tones out of my single rectifier as I get when connected straight to amp! (I have modified the parallel fxloop to series, so that should not be an issue) I have also set the volume knob to control XLR only from global settings.

I set my return from the Helix to -4db, that helped me a lot.  I also have it set to line level, and just like you, I modified my FX loop to serial.  Mesa should just put a switch on their amps that let you change to serial FX loops. 

I also had to put some time into dialing in the Helix.  I noticed some of the dirt boxes didn't sound so good with the Rectifier -- like the OCD.  

Since we have the same amp, I can post my patch this evening when I get home.  

14 hours ago, davepmoll said:

I set my return from the Helix to -4db, that helped me a lot.  I also have it set to line level, and just like you, I modified my FX loop to serial.  Mesa should just put a switch on their amps that let you change to serial FX loops. 

I also had to put some time into dialing in the Helix.  I noticed some of the dirt boxes didn't sound so good with the Rectifier -- like the OCD.  

Since we have the same amp, I can post my patch this evening when I get home.  

Thanks for reply. I use my Seymour Duncan 805 OD pedal in fx loop 2. Guitar-OD(fxloop2)-Noisegate-FXLoop1(amp)-delay-echo-->4x12 cab (v30)