Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp as audio interface- setting?

Dave23

Love my new HX Stomp, well done L6 !

However... manual uses very confusing terminology in USB audio section....not clear/ intuitive at all...(to my simple brain...)

I want to  input  HX stomp processed guitar to (Reason 9.5) and hear it + simultaneous playback of Reason song.  Can any one tell me  (in simple terms)step by step, what settings I need to make to achieve this? I've tried all permutations I can think of---->  guitar sounds great as usual, but very poor/corrupted playback of RSN tracks.

Control panel choices in Reason are :

8 channel in . ...8 channels out  (check/uncheck boxes)

Audio track input selection mono/stereo  HS stomp 1-8

Thanks. D

Download and install the Line 6 driver. Connect Helix Stomp to your computer via USB. Make sure Reason is configured to use the HX Stomp device and its ASIO driver as its audio device for both recording and playback. Connect your speakers/monitors to the HX Stomp outputs.

If stuttering occurs experiment with the buffer sizes in the driver properties.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave23 said:

Love my new HX Stomp, well done L6 !

However... manual uses very confusing terminology in USB audio section....not clear/ intuitive at all...(to my simple brain...)

I want to  input  HX stomp processed guitar to (Reason 9.5) and hear it + simultaneous playback of Reason song.  Can any one tell me  (in simple terms)step by step, what settings I need to make to achieve this? I've tried all permutations I can think of---->  guitar sounds great as usual, but very poor/corrupted playback of RSN tracks.

Control panel choices in Reason are :

8 channel in . ...8 channels out  (check/uncheck boxes)

Audio track input selection mono/stereo  HS stomp 1-8

Thanks. D

Just to be clear, you want to monitor how you sound playing in your DAW?  In addition to what Silverhead said, you would also want to:

Steps:

1. Input source - USB 5 & 6

2. Output source - USB 1 & 2

3. Select the final output block in the HX Stomp's signal chain and turn the volume level all the way to as far negative DB as it will go.

This should allow you to do exactly that. It's what I always do. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the replies. I downloaded and installed the line6 driver for mac and playback is working perfectly.

Just to be clear, you want to monitor how you sound playing in your DAW?  In addition to what Silverhead said, you would also want to:

Steps:

1. Input source - USB 5 & 6

2. Output source - USB 1 & 2

3. Select the final output block in the HX Stomp's signal chain and turn the volume level all the way to as far negative DB as it will go.

This should allow you to do exactly that. It's what I always do. 

Thx for the info. the above settings for HXS? or DAW?    (= 4 options/8 possible states... room for confusion....) 1st attempt did not work,but will dig deeper later...

cheers, D

1 hour ago, Dave23 said:

Thanks very much for the replies. I downloaded and installed the line6 driver for mac and playback is working perfectly.

Thx for the info. the above settings for HXS? or DAW?    (= 4 options/8 possible states... room for confusion....) 1st attempt did not work,but will dig deeper later...

cheers, D

Steps 1 & 2 were for the DAW. Step three is in the HXS.

Hmmmm... that's still not working for me.

I am using the Line 6 driver for Mac at 44.100.

In DAW     (Reason 10)      active input  channel is  USB5&6

output channel is   USB1&2

Audio track being used is set to receive from HX 5&6, software monitor is ON

When I go to HX stomp    "->Output Main L/R" (yes?) ....and turn it all the way down, effected guitar signal disappears. All I hear is unprocessed guitar at very low volume.

Probably something simple I am doing wrong, pretty sure basic duplex operation should be very easy with HXS.

I like the zero latency option but I would also like to try software monitoring through DAW to try different cab model that live in there...

TIA, D

7 hours ago, Dave23 said:

Hmmmm... that's still not working for me.

I am using the Line 6 driver for Mac at 44.100.

In DAW     (Reason 10)      active input  channel is  USB5&6

output channel is   USB1&2

Audio track being used is set to receive from HX 5&6, software monitor is ON

When I go to HX stomp    "->Output Main L/R" (yes?) ....and turn it all the way down, effected guitar signal disappears. All I hear is unprocessed guitar at very low volume.

Probably something simple I am doing wrong, pretty sure basic duplex operation should be very easy with HXS.

I like the zero latency option but I would also like to try software monitoring through DAW to try different cab model that live in there...

TIA, D

4 hours ago, silverhead said:

In your Helix preset, try setting the Output block to USB 5&6. This will send the processed signal on 5/6 matching your DAW input selection.

My apologies Dave. I screwed you up. I was sharing my settings with you, but I forgot that I now have Helix Native which I use, connected to the Stomp, do monitor my DAW. Since you don't have Helix Native all you were going to get is a dry guitar signal.

Silverhead is a pro - much more so than me, so I'd try those settings first. USB 5 & 6 are usually for reamping settings though and so I think you'd have to change some other details or you'll hit a road block again. Still, give it a go first. 

Honestly, to help you'd it'd be easier to know what you want to do. If you are creating a recording, I strongly recommend using the Stomp's hardware monitoring over the software. Usually I create a dry track and a processed track. Are you wanting any dry tracks?

If Silverhead's approach doesn't work, try this:

Daw Settings:

1. USB Inputs 1 & 2

2. USB Outputs 1 & 2

Stomp:

1. Turn down the output block to as far negative DB as it will go. 

If that still doesn't work, let me know, and I'll fiddle around with it too. I have done what I think you're wanting to do before, it's just a matter of remembering how. There wasn't much purpose for it (for me) when I did it so it's remembering what the exact settings were. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies guys... Kilrahi, no worries bro.. :)

To re-cap, as I mentioned in my original post what I would actually like to find out is-

Can I send effected guitar from HX stomp without the hardware monitoring- i.e. only hearing the guitar (plus backing tracks) from my DAW software monitoring.

Why would I want to do this when zero latency hardware monitoring on input is available? ...so I can use additional processing on the guitar signal using some nice cabs+ plugins that are in  my computer. ( I have a low latency setup and have always recorded my analog pedal board this way without any problems.)

I just thought it would be sweet if I could use HXS as an all in one solution, but if not- I can get the same effect by plugging it into my MOTU interface as I have always done.

Cheers, D