Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD Desktop VS POD XT+add-on packs

Chuckusa

Hello out there. So iv been going back n forth from multieffect to multieffect trying out different ones. My most recent pedal was a Zoom G3 the first generation ones. Anyway last year I borrowed my friends POD XT loaded with all the add on packs installed but the bass pack. I loved that pedal and it sounded real nice it was lots of fun. It had more clarity and better sound then other units I have tried.

My friend told me if I wanted a pedal as good I should skip the POD XT + packs and go straight to the POD X3. He said it had all the packs on it already and it should rock. 

My question is does anyone off hand know what the differences in the two are in terms of how many effects each unit has? POD XT Loaded VS. POD HD Desktop? What I want to know is will the POD HD Desktop bean pedal have at least as much effects and rock as a loaded POD XT? Also why and how is a POD HD Desktop bean better then a POD X3? Or is it?

Reason I ask is I was not happy with my previous pedals and I want to rock like I did with that ole POD XT loaded, but if I am going to pay close to $165 for a pedal, I want it to sound awesome. I only sit at my desk with my PC with my electric gutiars so the desktop bean type units are right for my needs.

I honestly am considering a POD HD Desktop iv herd it has almost the same features as its bigger brothers the floor models.

Because of computer connectivity, you don't need to limit yourself to a tabletop  device. 

You could just as easily buy, as example, an HD500 stick it on the floor and run a USB cable across the room. You'd then use the computer software to "control" the device.

• Thanks 1

I have the PODHD Desktop.  They're harder to find since they don't make them anymore.  But if you do find one they're less expensive.  The only feature the PODHD Desktop doesn't have is the ability to have FX sends and returns in it's chain.  I've never needed it because it does everything I need with it's own effects.

• Like 1

You speak of comparing the XT, X3 and HD only in terms of the number and type of FX. You may also want to consider the quality of the modeling and resulting sounds. The POD HD series is clearly better in that regard than the XT and X3 which are both based on older modeling technology. I would choose the POD HD with fewer but better quality amps and FX over the XT/X3 with more but inferior models.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, silverhead said:

You speak of comparing the XT, X3 and HD only in terms of the number and type of FX. You may also want to consider the quality of the modeling and resulting sounds. The POD HD series is clearly better in that regard than the XT and X3 which are both based on older modeling technology. I would choose the POD HD with fewer but better quality amps and FX over the XT/X3 with more but inferior models.

I understand what your saying. Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Yeah man I can't wait to dig into a POD HD desktop. I see what your saying about quality vs quantity. I think one of the reasons I want the bean is I don't have an amplifier right now and I really only play at my desk and I got the perfect spot at my desk to just drop n plug it into my setup. Can anyone say what if any new effects were added to the POD HD Desktop in any updates from its factory settings?

Man if the POD HD Desktop is better then the XT and X3 I must be in for  a real treat. Can't wait... 

There have been many updates and improvements to the POD HD since its initial release. You can anticipate a great sound but you will find you need to invest more time in learning how to create those sounds. The XT/X3 can sound good with minimal effort. The HD can sound much better but needs more work to get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

There have been many updates and improvements to the POD HD since its initial release. You can anticipate a great sound but you will find you need to invest more time in learning how to create those sounds. The XT/X3 can sound good with minimal effort. The HD can sound much better but needs more work to get there.

I will keep that in mind. Line 6's Monkey is it called? Should bring my device up to par as far as firmware updates am I right? I am going to try and order a used POD HD Desktop next week. I actually owned a POD XT for a short time last year. I only briefly got to mess with the firmware update software.

Yes, use Line 6 Monkey to update your device firmware if necessary. First you will need to download and install the Line 6 driver. After updating, download and install the HD Edit program to make back up copies of your setlists and presets, and also to edit presets on your computer as an alternative to using the device itself.

2 hours ago, silverhead said:

Yes, use Line 6 Monkey to update your device firmware if necessary. First you will need to download and install the Line 6 driver. After updating, download and install the HD Edit program to make back up copies of your setlists and presets, and also to edit presets on your computer as an alternative to using the device itself.

Thanks man. I will do all that. Hey does the POD HD Desktop take a 9vdc 3A Polarity = center negative outer positive plug tip ac adapter?

On 4/21/2019 at 4:09 PM, silverhead said:

You can anticipate a great sound but you will find you need to invest more time in learning how to create those sounds. The XT/X3 can sound good with minimal effort. The HD can sound much better but needs more work to get there.

I just want to second what Silverhead is saying here. I never owned the XT... but I did own the X3 Live... then an HD500. The X3 was much easier to get a good tone... the HD took a lot of effort and tweaking to get it where I liked it in comparison. 

The HD had less models... but generally speaking better sounding models (not all amps were better). That aside, there were also compromises that made absolutely no sense to me....

1. For some reason they removed the "extremely functional" 4 band parametric EQ and implemented a handful of really ODD EQ's that were limited in capability and labeled by % values instead of REAL EQ values. EG: Try guessing where 400hz is when the value is 0 - 100%? 
  2. They seriously compromised the output options by removing all separation between 1/4", XLR and USB outputs. The XT/X3 was extremely powerful while the HD became a toy in comparison. 

I moved to a Helix a while back.. but retained my HD500 as a backup and as a computer connection for my old variax. BUT - I've seriously contemplated a downgrade to the X3 to handle those duties... I honestly thought it was a more functional unit. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, codamedia said:

I just want to second what Silverhead is saying here. I never owned the XT... but I did own the X3 Live... then an HD500. The X3 was much easier to get a good tone... the HD took a lot of effort and tweaking to get it where I liked it in comparison. 

The HD had less models... but generally speaking better sounding models (not all amps were better). That aside, there were also compromises that made absolutely no sense to me....

1. For some reason they removed the "extremely functional" 4 band parametric EQ and implemented a handful of really ODD EQ's that were limited in capability and labeled by % values instead of REAL EQ values. EG: Try guessing where 400hz is when the value is 0 - 100%? 
  2. They seriously compromised the output options by removing all separation between 1/4", XLR and USB outputs. The XT/X3 was extremely powerful while the HD became a toy in comparison. 

I moved to a Helix a while back.. but retained my HD500 as a backup and as a computer connection for my old variax. BUT - I've seriously contemplated a downgrade to the X3 to handle those duties... I honestly thought it was a more functional unit. 

Thank you for this information. Its good to hear this cause it helps me on what I may experience with my trial and errors with a POD HD Desktop. 

Does the POD HD Desktop take a 9vdc 3A Polarity = center negative outer positive plug tip ac adapter?