Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

frfr speakers

mapletop

In a full band situation, it’s nice to have 1 frfr pointing at you, most likely a wedge on the floor (your tone mixed with the other instruments/vocals ). Then, one on a pole behind you with your tone only. This works for me, but there will be other options that work as well. 

When there is a sound tech and FOH capable of doing the job then I leave the fronts to to them and point everything back at me. I never want to be the guy that sabotages the mix by blasting my guitar off the stage.

If the PA is vocal only, or if the PA needs to be supplemented with some stage guitar tone then I will carefully direct something toward the front from behind me. 

I always place mine in more of a traditional backline arrangement on a half-height pole behind me (roughly chest high)  and a bit to my right or left and pointed in such a way as to get good coverage across the stage for the other members of the band.  This is the same whether the instruments go through the PA or not.  The only thing that changes if the instruments aren't going through the PA is my Helix volume gets turned up a bit to get the sound out into the audience.

I try to use whatever rig I have as a side fill.  Makes it real easy for the FoH guy to get a good sound.  My regular guitar speakers are a pair of Marshall 1x12"s so I'll either balance one on another in a mini stack to get one to near chest height, or use a few beer crates with a black curtain over them to raise them both to the right height.

If I'm FRFR on monitors, I try to get a monitor just for my guitar if possible, if not I'll use a PA wedge I take around with me directly out of one of the helix' alternate outputs so I can get 'more me'.

On 4/21/2019 at 3:01 AM, DunedinDragon said:

I always place mine in more of a traditional backline arrangement on a half-height pole behind me (roughly chest high)  and a bit to my right or left and pointed in such a way as to get good coverage across the stage for the other members of the band. 

Same here. When I first got my Alto TS212, I put it on the floor and it sounded pretty bad because of coupling. Mounting it on a stand was a huge help; didn't have to use an excessive amount of low cut after that. 

I have one on a pole and one in wedge position in places where I need the sound reinforcement to be LOUD, but they're both behind me putting sound toward the audience. When we have a good PA and I don't need the volume, just one on a pole facing the audience for some front-row coverage.

I have 2 headrush units. I have one behind me and louder to come as close to having an amp on stage as I can and I have one directly in front of my helix on the ground to simulate a typical live stage monitor. That way when I really need to hear something clearly I can stand in front of the monitor. When I'm moving around I have the louder one acting like an amp so I can hear it anywhere.