Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp...Why Does it Shut Off Randomly?

BillDutton

I have a brand new HX Stomp and while I love it, it has shut down on me randomly on 3 different occasions over two rehearsals in the last two days. I've only had this thing for a week now. Any idea why this is happening? It's more than a little disconcerting and causes me not to want to trust it for live performance (which is why I bought it). Help!

8 hours ago, BillDutton said:

I have a brand new HX Stomp and while I love it, it has shut down on me randomly on 3 different occasions over two rehearsals in the last two days. I've only had this thing for a week now. Any idea why this is happening? It's more than a little disconcerting and causes me not to want to trust it for live performance (which is why I bought it). Help!

Hi Bill,

I noticed this is the second post that you have made regarding the issue. As you said this is a brand new unit, I think your first recourse should be to contact the vendor “Sweetwater” and discuss the situation with them. You may be able to get the “faulty” unit replaced immediately. Failing that, you should raise a ticket with Line 6 support. 

Try Sweetwater first and see how it goes with them, although a “random shutdown” is going to be difficult to replicate, you should get a new unit - fit for purpose, etc.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue, mine doesn't stay on for more than 1 minute and it reboots. Tried all procedures recommended by Line 6 and nothing worked. There's no local technical support where I could drop the HX Stomp to have someone verifying as well. The contacts given by Line 6 didn't even know they were authorized assistance.

The main problem is, I'm from Brazil, no one sells HX STOMP over here, so, I've bought it on a trip to USA and now I don't have anyone to assist me on replacing this faulty unit.

I'm so frustrated because I used to have a POD HD500 for long years and never had any kind of issue.

37 minutes ago, gvendramini said:

I'm having the same issue, mine doesn't stay on for more than 1 minute and it reboots. Tried all procedures recommended by Line 6 and nothing worked. There's no local technical support where I could drop the HX Stomp to have someone verifying as well. The contacts given by Line 6 didn't even know they were authorized assistance.

The main problem is, I'm from Brazil, no one sells HX STOMP over here, so, I've bought it on a trip to USA and now I don't have anyone to assist me on replacing this faulty unit.

I'm so frustrated because I used to have a POD HD500 for long years and never had any kind of issue.

If you haven't already done so, try opening a support ticket directly through this site and explain the problem with your local repair facilities...maybe L6 can help you directly. You might end up having to pay for shipping to or from the US, but it's better than being out $600 and stuck with a useless device.

@cruisinon2 thanks for your message. I've opened the support ticket through the site, Josh (L6 support agent) was really interested on solving my issue, but, none of the troubleshooting steps worked out for me. He then gave me some local repair facilities that must be outdated, because none of them knew they were authorized repair facilities from LINE 6 devices and said they couldn't help me. I'd pay the shipping to send it directly to Line 6 and have a brand new one (and no headache), at this moment I'm 1000% frustrated because I've sold my POD HD500 (5 years old, not a single hiccup or issue) and bought the HX STOMP (after months saving money) to upgrade my home studio and now I'm losing jobs because I can't produce with this faulty unit.

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Spydz0r said:

Hi, was this ever resolved? my unit is randomly restarting itself...could be once every couple of hours or once every 2min...

Hi Spydz0r,

It should not be doing that. You need a reliable unit, random restarts are not acceptable.

Your best option is to open a ticket with Line 6 Customer Support, or if it is a brand new purchase check to see if the retailer will swap it for a fully functional unit. 

perhaps the power plug attached to the unit is loose?

Or the power wire on the adapter has a bad connection?  Kind of like when headphone plugs get damaged and you twist the wire and one of the channels on the head phones cuts in and out?

Perhaps you're losing power for an instant so the system reboots randomly as the power gets resumed an instant later.

I got the HX Stomp today and it's amazing!
I spent 2 hours checking out all the FX and love the reverbs and delay, I compared it to my Timeline and Mercury 7 and especially the new Helix reverbs are stellar. I was able to get some sounds which are really close to those of the Mercury7, and the switching/routing possibilities it offers are brilliant!
Also it's so cool to have again these effects I loved back then when I had a M9.

I only have a question: after a while playing the sound starts to crackle (there's a kind of boomy sound when I switch more reverbs together) and at some point the unit goes silent (kind of like these booms overload the unit).
I did try out to change the bypass from analog to DSP, checked out instruments and line levels and also upgrade to the last firmware, but the issue remains... after a while the unit starts to crackle and I need to reboot it.
Note that I tried the HX Stomp after my pedalboard at the very end my FX chain and also alone just with my guitar, and the issue happens in both cases.

I'm using the power-supply which was delivered together with it.

Do you think my unit is faulty? Do anybody else experienced the same issue?

Here a video of what's happening:

Edited by joelgiudift
I added a video of the issue

I was thinking, does this may be an issue due to the CPU/DSP at the limit it's power?

In this preset I'm using: Pitch Echo, Auto-volume Echo, Glitz, Particle e Double tank and Bubble vibrato (I also tried to revove the vibrato, but the issue persist).

And when this issue happens on this very preset, if I switch preset everything sound normal again.

On another preset I created (I only did these 2 for the moment) I use Particle, Spring 63', Ganymede and Spring. But there after a long time and many switches nothing strange happens.

Do you think this is relate to that very preset only?

Update: I've opened a ticket, and sent the preset to Line6. They've tested it out, and this's their reply:

Hi, do you get the same when you reduce the Decay value a bit (it is quite high) -but i played with it a bit,all OK, then let the HXStomp alone for 10 minutes and after that there was some very loud digital noise I will escalate this to our QA.

They are also experiencing the very same issue. After few more tests I did yesterday evening, I suppose something's not working properly inside the Glitz reverb.