Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native Problem

schuha_at

With Helix Native, which worked for 2 weeks on my home desktop, I suddenly had an error message:  
Failed to connect to DSP engine. Device has not been initialized propely.  (see below)

So far from support I received 3 times the suggestion to uninstall and reinstall Helix native. I have already done this 5 times and get the same message again and again.
This time I received the following 4th answer:  "Hi. I assume your network card is not disabled? " with the following link

This, by the way, obviously suggests the opposite, isn't it.??
Furthermore, I am able to confirm the additional question that it works on another computer.

Is there anyone here who know about this error code and know what to do?

So far the support could not contribute to the solution of the problem at the moment.

Native-Failure.jpg

I don't know - I just TRIED to get an error from Native by disabling BOTH ethernet AND wireless cards AND removing the cable. Fast Start is disabled too. I shut down and restarted, opened the Reaper project with Native and everything is groovy (dope for you youngsters).

There's something else going on here......

Have you got the latest version of Native (I do). Only thing I could think of (besides demonic digital possession). 

Thanks for trying to help.

I'm using Helix Native Vers 2.71 which I downloaded on March 16 of this year. As far as I know, the latest version.

The same version runs without problems on my notebook.

To disconnect the computer from the net and restart it, do not solve the problem.

BTW: I use Norton Internet security  and clean the PC every  week additional with another program . Hopefully there are no demonic digital posessions  :-)

When you uninstalled Native last time, did you manually check for traces? There's a Line6 folder in the Program Data directory that has Native stuff. If uninstall doesn't remove it and it's corrupt, that could be an issue. Try uninstall again, check for traces, run a registry scan with something like CCleaner, check in Power Settings to make sure that Fast Start is turned off, then reboot. 

And then there's Norton. I stopped using it ages ago when it messed with several of the programs that I used every day. Do you also have it on your notebook? Try disabling it, see if that helps. Is there a way to mark a program as "safe"?

I had a look in the Knowledge Base, and this seems to occur most often with certain DAWs. What DAW are you using?

I canceled everything that has a connection to the Helix native after uninstalling it. This also means the files in Progaramm data (User area) and the found directories.

I have cleaned the registry.  I confess that I did not find the possibility to deactivate a quick start. (A term I don't know)

Norton doesn't complain about anything when it's called. The installer was also clean for Norton.

I use Norton for all 5 computers of my family and don't want to change because of Line6.

Very rarely I had to check with Norton to see if a complaint was really justified. They usually react quickly.

I use Reaper (last version) as host and Norton on my notebook as well. It works fine. One of the first instructions of the support was also to uninstall and reinstall Reaper.

I'm surprised the support doesn't respond to the error code information.

They simply repeat the instructions to uninstall and reinstall, and finally they gave me a link, incomprehensible to me in this context, which says that it is not necessary to have an internet connection after first registration. The next sentence then is said - quote > "Hello, I assume your network card is not disabled?  < unquoted.... which confuses me! 
I still have the internet connection turned on and off a few times. Before and after the installation with restart or not the PC. In no case I was asked for a new registration but only received the quoted error message.

I would expect a question about the registration after deinstallation but after the error message no further action is possible except closing of the window. The DAW is not disturbed.

BTW: Thank you for your efforts. 

Helix Native has serious problems with installation and registration. If you look over on the Helix Native forum, you'll read the woes of many a user. Line 6 seems to be oblivious to what the root cause is, or how to address it.

Your last post didn't mention if what you did solved the problem.

Fast Start works like SLEEP mode. A snapshot of your computer's state is saved to the HD, and when you start the computer it simply restores what ever was in memory when you shut it down. If there was garbage in memory, you get the same garbage back! Shutting off Fast Start allows computer memory to return to a CLEAN state when you reboot. It used to be called a CLEAN BOOT, and we used it to solve a myriad of common Windows problems.

Step One in optimizing a Windows computer for use with a DAW is to change the Power Settings to "High Performance". This prevents hardware (like USB ports) from shutting off to save power when not in use. In Control Panel/Power Options, change the Power Plan to High Performance. It may be hidden, so look for it (in the left hand column choose Create a Power Plan). Then, in the left column, select "Choose what the power buttons do". In the screeen that pops up, select "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
On the next screen you'll see "Shutdown Settings". DE-SELECT them all. Click "Save Changes".

Step two is to disable wireless adapters. You should be able to leave wired adapters on, but many people like to disable them to prevent surprises when the Demon Overlords in Redmond force an update that hoses everything. What Support was telling you was that you should disconnect the ethernet cable rather than disabling the ethernet card. As I mentioned previously, it didn't make any difference on my system, Native runs without problems in Reaper regardless of what I do to the network hardware and settings. Your system may be different?

I understand not wanting to dump Norton (well, no I don't, it's a resource hog and very intrusive), but Step One when troubleshooting many Windows problems with 3rd party applications is to disable all anti-virus programs (because they're intrusive). Since you've already disabled wireless and unplugged your ethernet cable, this should not cause you any problems.

18 hours ago, soundog said:

Helix Native has serious problems with installation and registration. If you look over on the Helix Native forum, you'll read the woes of many a user. Line 6 seems to be oblivious to what the root cause is, or how to address it.

Well, Line 6 isn't a small shop - if it really is a problem in principle, I hope for a speedy recovery.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Your last post didn't mention if what you did solved the problem.

I am still unhappy !

Thank God I don't have to pay you a line fee. ;-)

I couldn't find the option "Shutdown Settings" with deactivation of "Save Changes" on my PC. Even if I look at the Windows help and compare it with my screen, I see differences. Maybe because it was an update from WIN7 Pro or because it is German.

Anyway, I found a batch file that forces Win10 to shut down completely. A restart now doesn't open the programs that were running at shutdown.

I have removed the WLAN stick that I otherwise need to operate my digital mixer (Behringer XR16).

Furthermore I changed the Power Settings to "highest Performance". At autostart I deactivated all additional services.

Now in a hopeful mood I uninstalled Helix-Native again, deleted all additional data in the user area (program data etc), started the complete shutdown  batch file and reinstalled Native.

I have become a bit smarter as far as Windows is concerned, but Native called via Reaper still reports the same error. :-(
Other AMP simulation VST's work fine with Reaper, so I can leave the Helix LT in the rehearsal room to practice at home.

The notebook (on which Native works) is for my old eyes only short time to endure.  That was not the purpose of the investment. 

Obviously I have to wait further until the support is able to send a helpful instruction.

This sounds like a real hairball, and I know you already mentioned the Norton route, but is it possible Norton or a Windows firewall is blocking access of Helix Native to the internet?

That wouldn't necessarily mean you have to give up on Norton, but I've run into similar problems with McAfee and I had to go in and grant special permission for that program to access the internet. 

On 4/24/2019 at 2:29 AM, schuha_at said:

I couldn't find the option "Shutdown Settings" with deactivation of "Save Changes" on my PC.

I've attached screenshots.

At this point, I'm out of ideas. On both of my laptops (i5,i7 Windows 10). it just works. Kilrahi's suggestion about Norton mirrors my own previously, but you said that you initially had it activated on this machine, so that shouldn't be the problem, but look into it anyway.

My recommendation to shut down wireless didn't take into account your needing it for the XR16. The reason for shutting down wireless is that when recording with a DAW, you don't want anything interrupting the processor. It's a drag to have that "perfect take" wrecked by a sound glitch caused by the wireless looking for available networks! If you do serious recording, you may have to choose between that possibility and dividing the chores between multiple computers.

If I think of anything else.....

EDIT: Images removed to recover attachment allotment

Edited by rd2rk
Image removed to recover attachment allotment
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rd2rk said:

My recommendation to shut down wireless didn't take into account your needing it for the XR16. The reason for shutting down wireless is that when recording with a DAW, you don't want anything interrupting the processor. It's a drag to have that "perfect take" wrecked by a sound glitch caused by the wireless looking for available networks! If you do serious recording, you may have to choose between that possibility and dividing the chores between multiple computers.

If I think of anything else.....

For recording I don't need the XR16 yet. So no problem to pull the WLAN plug.

I do not need multi track recording a thomeat the moment, as I do sometime with another Behringer XR18 and my note book in the rehearsal room

I have hardly any performance problems with the I5 - Quad Processor and 8 GB RAM.

My control panel does not offer as many options as on your picture. I guess because it was an update from Win 7 or its not a moble device . The GUI is different.

At the i3 Win 10 (4GB) Notebook (Suface 3) it works good enough with the same norton security pack as on my desktop.

It's a great pity your efforts can't help me. But thanks anyway!
I will probably have to say something more impressive words to the support. :-)

@Kilrahi: I stopped also fire wall and norton security while installing to test if this could be the reason.

296248720_Behaviorofthepowerswitch.jpg.71ba6d86485d2f6d8483d856dde11059.jpg

On 4/21/2019 at 9:36 AM, schuha_at said:

With Helix Native, which worked for 2 weeks on my home desktop, I suddenly had an error message:  
Failed to connect to DSP engine. Device has not been initialized propely.  (see below)

So far from support I received 3 times the suggestion to uninstall and reinstall Helix native. I have already done this 5 times and get the same message again and again.
This time I received the following 4th answer:  "Hi. I assume your network card is not disabled? " with the following link

This, by the way, obviously suggests the opposite, isn't it.??
Furthermore, I am able to confirm the additional question that it works on another computer.

Is there anyone here who know about this error code and know what to do?

So far the support could not contribute to the solution of the problem at the moment.

Native-Failure.jpg

From what I am seeing in other posts this is all about getting Native properly authorized with Line6. Make sure you have a proper internet connection and a registered copy of Native tied to your account first and then deauthorize/reauthorize Native. You can do that by clicking on the gear icon or your username in the bottom left hand corner of the Native screen.  Bring up the Authorize/Deauthorize dialog box and re-authorize Native.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

From what I am seeing in other posts this is all about getting Native properly authorized with Line6. Make sure you have a proper internet connection and a registered copy of Native tied to your account first and then deauthorize/reauthorize Native. You can do that by clicking on the gear icon or your username in the bottom left hand corner of the Native screen.  Bring up the Authorize/Deauthorize dialog box and re-authorize Native.

The candidate has 100 points! This advice helped, at least now once.

My head bows respectfully in front of the Guru. :-)

Thanks!

BTW: It was necessary also to deauthorize/reauthorize my computer with the Line6 licence manager

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, schuha_at said:

The candidate has 100 points! This advice helped, at least now once.

My head bows respectfully in front of the Guru. :-)

Thanks!

BTW: It was necessary also to deauthorize/reauthorize my computer with the Line6 licence manager

Delighted to hear it is working!