Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuner not working

s7nstringsofhell

What do you mean it doesn't work at all? Can you elaborate?

You enable the tuner, start tuning your guitar and then nothing on the screen? As in, zero feedback from the tuning needle (doesn't move at all?)

8 hours ago, silverhead said:

By default the tuner Input is set to Multi, wiich includes the Guitar, Aux and Variax physical inputs. If you are using a different input set the Tuner to match.

^^^ This ^^^

When you engage the tuner check the lower left of the screen to make sure it is set to the correct input... or MULTI if using one of the inputs Silverhead mentions. If this unit was a store demo or a return you never know how someone may have set it. 

... and just to make sure the basics are covered... (like a support line asking if something is plugged in)

Are you aware that you have to press and hold the tuner button for 2 seconds to engage it? 

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

^^^ This ^^^

When you engage the tuner check the lower left of the screen to make sure it is set to the correct input... or MULTI if using one of the inputs Silverhead mentions. If this unit was a store demo or a return you never know how someone may have set it. 

... and just to make sure the basics are covered... (like a support line asking if something is plugged in)

Are you aware that you have to press and hold the tuner button for 2 seconds to engage it? 

12 hours ago, silverhead said:

By default the tuner Input is set to Multi, wiich includes the Guitar, Aux and Variax physical inputs. If you are using a different input set the Tuner to match.

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

^^^ This ^^^

thanks gents

• 1 month later...

My tuner stopped working the other day also.  I have tried everything I can think of.  I use several wireless systems and very good cables, etc.  I can switch to the tuner, but there is zero activity.

16 minutes ago, mkopec said:

My tuner stopped working the other day also.  I have tried everything I can think of.  I use several wireless systems and very good cables, etc.  I can switch to the tuner, but there is zero activity.

When you engage the tuner check the lower left of the screen to make sure it is set to the correct input... EG: If you accidentally changed that from MULTI to RETURN 1 it would appear to be unresponsive. 

• 10 months later...

Mine is doing this now...input is correct...it's set to mute...yet sound comes out.  Tried switching to an unused channel, still sound (a preset, no less..).  Rebooted several times...no joy.  If I play the string, and while it's still playing and I switch to the tuner...it will flash the note briefly...then stop responding.  It's done this twice now to the point I can't get the tuner to work at all...

On the latest firmware, btw.  I want to say April 19th?

N

10 hours ago, sgnewman said:

Mine is doing this now...input is correct...it's set to mute...yet sound comes out.  Tried switching to an unused channel, still sound (a preset, no less..).  Rebooted several times...no joy.  If I play the string, and while it's still playing and I switch to the tuner...it will flash the note briefly...then stop responding.  It's done this twice now to the point I can't get the tuner to work at all...

On the latest firmware, btw.  I want to say April 19th?

N

Did you install the 2.91 hotfix?

On 5/1/2020 at 3:21 PM, MusicLaw said:

Firmware 1.91 should remedy the issue. 

After you install firmware 1.91 please post your findings. 

Having the same issue. Installing 2.91 now or whatever is latest

On 5/1/2020 at 3:21 PM, MusicLaw said:

Firmware 1.91 should remedy the issue. 

After you install firmware 1.91 please post your findings. 

So yeah, after reading the OPs post and your reference to Native i was a bit confused as to what we may be talking about here, but yeah updating from 2.90 to 2.91 solved my issue.

Sorry, for the typo in the version number. Should have been 2.91. Earlier post is now corrected. 

Sure do wish Line 6 would unify their customer facing version numbering for all inter-related software, so that all the Helix family related software and firmware (Helix Firmware, Helix Native, HX Edit and Line 6 Updater) would be identified by the same version number (currently 2.91 for Helix firmware) for each release.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Helix floor user here..

I also have the same problem with  the tuner .

Yes everything is setted up properly.Actually im my Helix Floor the tuner is perfectly responding when i start up my Helix for about first 5 minutes. After a while if i go to the tuner it doesn't work. But if i restart again my Helix for a limited time it's back to normal.

I also noticed a weird bug.  When the tuner is not working   i move the expression pedal and sometimes it works as long as i move the expression up and down (but it s not very accurate).

Upgraded in firmware 2.91 and 2.92 and  didn't solve  anything.

8 hours ago, kwstaskario said:

Helix floor user here..

I also have the same problem with  the tuner .

Yes everything is setted up properly.Actually im my Helix Floor the tuner is perfectly responding when i start up my Helix for about first 5 minutes. After a while if i go to the tuner it doesn't work. But if i restart again my Helix for a limited time it's back to normal.

I also noticed a weird bug.  When the tuner is not working   i move the expression pedal and sometimes it works as long as i move the expression up and down (but it s not very accurate).

Upgraded in firmware 2.91 and 2.92 and  didn't solve  anything.

Is the tuner getting laggy after your Helix has been powered on for a while? If so, you need to first create a full backup of Helix using HX Edit (very important! if you don’t, you’ll lose everything), and then do a factory reset of Helix by turning it off, holding down footswitches 9&10, and turning it on while keeping those held. After you see the note on the screen that it’s doing a full reset, you can let go of the switches. After it does the full reset, restore your backup to it. (Note: when I did this on mine, I did not restore Global Settings from the backup. I re-entered those manually. I don’t know if it makes any difference, this is just what I did and it fixed it for me).

4 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

Is the tuner getting laggy after your Helix has been powered on for a while? If so, you need to first create a full backup of Helix using HX Edit (very important! if you don’t, you’ll lose everything), and then do a factory reset of Helix by turning it off, holding down footswitches 9&10, and turning it on while keeping those held. After you see the note on the screen that it’s doing a full reset, you can let go of the switches. After it does the full reset, restore your backup to it. (Note: when I did this on mine, I did not restore Global Settings from the backup. I re-entered those manually. I don’t know if it makes any difference, this is just what I did and it fixed it for me).

Did that this mornig..same problems again.Works for 5 minutes only and after that time it's not working properly. I think it's a bug from firmware that needs to be fixed .(Also the bug with the expression that makes the tuner work as long i move it up and down happens again..This time i think it's a little more accurate but that is not a sollution) 

On 6/25/2020 at 5:52 AM, kwstaskario said:

Did that this mornig..same problems again.Works for 5 minutes only and after that time it's not working properly. I think it's a bug from firmware that needs to be fixed .(Also the bug with the expression that makes the tuner work as long i move it up and down happens again..This time i think it's a little more accurate but that is not a sollution) 

Have you opened up a support ticket? This sounds like a bug, but you’re the only person I see reporting it for 2.92 here or in the big Facebook group. I’m sure the development team would like as much info from you as you can give them.

On 6/25/2020 at 8:41 AM, qwerty42 said:

Is the tuner getting laggy after your Helix has been powered on for a while?

This started happening to my LT this week under 2.92. Never had a firmware problem of any sort before... Tech support suggested the procedure you mentioned, I haven’t had time to do it yet. 

On 6/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, phil_m said:

Have you opened up a support ticket? This sounds like a bug, but you’re the only person I see reporting it for 2.92 here or in the big Facebook group. I’m sure the development team would like as much info from you as you can give them.

No i haven't opened a support ticket yet but i will.

Actually i found that when i am in my dirty presets  the tuner is working properly (still have to play up and down the expression sometimes) and the big problem is when i am on my my clean presets and engage the tuner ( of course the input settings are right) ( i mention again that the tuner works perfectly when i open my helix for the first 5 minutes ).

This little trick saved me yesterday in my live performance so if anyone else has the same problem maybe this trick works ..

I hit this problem with my HELIX LT which is only a few months old and on 2.90 firmware..

I have JTV69 connected via VDI to the HELIX LT and then the LEFT MONO output connected to the power amp in of a combo amp.  The HELIX LT was working fine as I set up a few patches in the afternoon ready to use at the evenings rehearsal. At the rehearsal all seemed fine as we were getting set up and then I engaged the tuner to tune up the JTV69 and it worked fine. Then I tried out some of the patches and noticed I was slightly out of tune again, so went back to the tuner, but this time it didn't seem to register the correct note, I was playing the low E string and it was flashing up as the A, and when I tried the A, it flashed up as something else. The other guitarist in the band was playing at the time and i wondered whether it was so sensitive that it was picking up his guitar playing at first. But the more I tried the more crazy the results got and then suddenly it stopped registering any notes. It just remained blank. I checked the input settings for the patch and could set was set to MULTI and the tuner output was set to MUTE. So, I decided to try the 1/4 GUITAR IN JACK to see if that registered anything, but once again it had no response. I then backed out of the tuner and tried some patches and noticed that suddenly all I was getting was the clean guitar signal and that all of the patches just had the same clean sound, and so I tried switching in some effects for each patch and once again found they made no difference to the sound, so I switched back to the tuner and found to my amazement that I could still hear the guitar sound although the tuner was set to MUTE output, and once more it was blank and not registering any signal. In frustration I backed out and tried switching sounds again and suddenly all the switches stopped working. I had blank program settings in the display and none of the coloured rings around the footswitches were illuminated and none of the buttons, dials or switches were responding. So, I powered it off and left it for a few moments and powered it back on. The patches and switches started working again, but still no tuner signal. I switched it off and on a few times and finally got the patches working and the footswitches responding and carried on the rehearsal. At the end of the evening I tried the tuner again and suddenly it was working again.   Totally confused, but not sure I can trust the unit now.  

The fact that a few other users have reported a similar issue with the tuner is re-assuring, at least I am not losing my mind, but I hope it is a software glitch that can easily be fixed, rather than a hardware bug that may require me sending the unit back for repair under warranty.

Tested some more this evening and it appeared to be working OK. Created a new patch with with dual preamps and messed around with signal flow and enjoying jamming along to myself with my new sound when suddenly all sound cut out.  HELIX LT was apparently working because all the lights were on and the display showing my patch - I tried the tuner and it was working - but no sound whatsoever - thought it might be the amp so I swapped the output to another amp and still no sound.  So, I just powered the HELIX LT off and then switched it back on and it was working again.  Weird!   So why did it suddenly just cut out like that??? 

Guess some more testing needed, and I can try upgrading software to the latest and if that doesn't work, I can try the factory reset. 

Hope I can fix it as I can't trust it if it has an intermittent problem that messes with the output signal unpredictably including no sound!!!.

For anyone else that has this issue, this bug was introduced in firmware 2.90. If you have the problem, the very first thing you need to do is upgrade to firmware 2.92, which contains other important bug fixes too. After you upgrade to 2.92, you still might need to do a full factory reset like I described above to fix the lagging tuner issue. (This bug also causes the output meters and compression meters to lag, FWIW.)

After lots of testing I've found the lagging output and compression meters bug still exists in v2.92, even after a factory reset. I've figured out a way to reliably trigger it a few minutes after reboot and will submit a bug report to Line 6 so they can replicate the issue and fix it.

That said, I'm still not seeing a lagging tuner on mine, but given how it seems this is some kind of latency issue, maybe they are still related.