Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10S Transmitter FALLS OUT

davidb99

I just bought a brand new G10S wireless system and found that the transmitter disconnects from my Musicman Stingray5 bass when I am playing live.   I do tend to move around a lot on stage but it's not like I am jumping around.   I tried opening the input jack to ensure the internal pins were not loose and everything was fine.  

Has anyone else reported this huge problem?   As it is I cannot rely on the system even though the wireless function is operating perfectly. 

I have opened a support ticket with Line6 as I will need to return the unit if this cannot be fixed to ensure 100% reliability. 

David 

2 hours ago, davidb99 said:

I just bought a brand new G10S wireless system and found that the transmitter disconnects from my Musicman Stingray5 bass when I am playing live.   I do tend to move around a lot on stage but it's not like I am jumping around.   I tried opening the input jack to ensure the internal pins were not loose and everything was fine.  

Has anyone else reported this huge problem?   As it is I cannot rely on the system even though the wireless function is operating perfectly. 

I have opened a support ticket with Line6 as I will need to return the unit if this cannot be fixed to ensure 100% reliability. 

David 

Does seem rather odd... mine sits quite snug in every guitar I've used it with. Have you tried it in another instrument? I'd tend to agree with Phil. Seems like it would almost have to be the jack...a 1/4" plug is a 1/4" plug. It's the jack's job to keep it in place. 

Yes, I have tried the G10S with other instruments but the point is my Musicman Stingray5 is my main bass and the transmitter intermittently falls out.

I was interested if others had encountered the same problem and if there is some fix/solution available.

Perhaps there is something specific about the 1/4" jack on Stingrays that is causing this issue?

10 minutes ago, davidb99 said:

Yes, I have tried the G10S with other instruments but the point is my Musicman Stingray5 is my main bass and the transmitter intermittently falls out.

I was interested if others had encountered the same problem and if there is some fix/solution available.

Perhaps there is something specific about the 1/4" jack on Stingrays that is causing this issue?

I mean, there's nothing special about the G10 plug - it's a standard 1/4" TRS plug. So if it's falling out, I would imagine that any other 1/4" plug could potentially have the same issue. Sometimes the little prongs in guitar jacks get bent back so they maintain enough tension on the plug. I had that happen on my one Strat, and I eventually just replaced the jack. It's pretty easy to do. Does the Musicman just have a standard mono jack?

35 minutes ago, davidb99 said:

I wouldn't think so.. regular mono 1/4" jacks are all the same. If it's an older instrument with a lot of miles on it, the clip that holds the plug in place may be a bit loose/worn. You can always try replacing it... ten bucks and 2 minutes with a soldering iron and you'll know if that was the problem or not.

I have been doing a little more searching/reading and it seems that Ernie Ball is using a 2 conductor mono jack in order to control the preamp battery activation.

The part number they use is M05160 (Ernie Ball part number) and I suspect the design of this jack is what is causing the problem with the G10S.

Here is a link to a detailed thread on Talkbass.com about this jack...

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ernie-ball-music-man-stingray-input-jack-discovery.1241229/#post-19145771

Seems like I will need to replace the output jack to solve this problem, unless someone else with a Musicman bass has another solution ... for the record, some duct tape worked for my last gig, but not really the look I am going for ;)

16 minutes ago, davidb99 said:

I have been doing a little more searching/reading and it seems that Ernie Ball is using a 2 conductor mono jack in order to control the preamp battery activation.

The part number they use is M05160 (Ernie Ball part number) and I suspect the design of this jack is what is causing the problem with the G10S.

Here is a link to a detailed thread on Talkbass.com about this jack...

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ernie-ball-music-man-stingray-input-jack-discovery.1241229/#post-19145771

Seems like I will need to replace the output jack to solve this problem, unless someone else with a Musicman bass has another solution ... for the record, some duct tape worked for my last gig, but not really the look I am going for ;)

Have you tried using the little right angle adapter that came with the G10? That's just a TS to TS converter, but it might do the trick. Another thing you could do is just get a short TS male to TS female extender cable and run it up over the end of your strap.

Thanks all for the great input.
I may try the right angle converter, but I have a suspicion that will make things worse due to more weight.
To be honest, I used it in my pedalboard to be able to squeeze the receiver box in between other items in my PB!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that... I know first hand how annoying that is!  

I suspect that the Yamahas are using a similar (non-standard) 1/4" jack like the 2 conductor mono jack to what Ernie Ball uses on Stingray basses.

I actually had a gig last weekend and I was able to successfully use the right angle jack that Line6 provides with the G10S, although I was so nervous about losing the whole assembly that I used a strip of electrical tape to make sure it could not pop-out.  For the record, this worked fine and the WiFi was flawless during the gig.

I did however make the decision to return the G10S.  I honestly don't fault Line6 as this is clearly related to a non-standard jack on my bass and not a design flaw with the G10S.  I just don't feel comfortable as-is and the music store I purchased at is willing to exchange the unit and allowing me to buy another system (from another company) that has the stomp box format, but utilises a transmitter that attaches to the strap as opposed to the input-jack design.

The one recommendation that I would share with Line6 is that you could have an FAQ page that lists common instruments that have reported this issue just to give buyers a chance to avoid the frustration.  Sounds like there may be a few that exhibit this behaviour.

David. 

3 hours ago, davidb99 said:

The one recommendation that I would share with Line6 is that you could have an FAQ page that lists common instruments that have reported this issue just to give buyers a chance to avoid the frustration.  Sounds like there may be a few that exhibit this behaviour.

They've asked people to report those sorts of issues here: https://line6.com/support/topic/20888-attention-g10-owners/