Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware Upgrade 2.8 - Blues :(

Retro-Rick

Hey all, I don't know about you guys, but I'm so tired of checking for the 2.8 upgrade, and seeing it's not there yet. Ever since I got the HX Stomp to compliment my Helix, I've been changing all my presets to work with both units. I use them both, sometimes when I want to use my Variax I bring the big one with me, if not, I bring the small, they are both great. I can't wait for sharing patches to be easy. I want to be able to tweak my presets on either device, and easily upload those changes to the other. I don't get why Line 6 announced this upgrade so many months ago - it's unnerving...  

I get it.  I’m eager to see the release, too, but it’s all self-inflicted.  If I didn’t want to waste time and risk disappointment, I’d check back the first day of Summer for a product that they’ve said from the start is coming in Spring.

10 minutes ago, LadyGaia said:

I get it.  I’m eager to see the release, too, but it’s all self-inflicted.  If I didn’t want to waste time and risk disappointment, I’d check back the first day of Summer for a product that they’ve said from the start is coming in Spring.

You can set something up so you get an email when it's ready.

Go here and check the appropriate box.

https://line6.com/account/emailpreferences/

• Thanks 1

I'm awaiting the ability to set buttons to 'Toggle' in the Command Centre. I'm creating my live set for June this year and I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do the faffy workaround yet again. Oh well. Better late than bodged.

5 minutes ago, The_Elf said:

I'm awaiting the ability to set buttons to 'Toggle' in the Command Centre. I'm creating my live set for June this year and I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do the faffy workaround yet again. Oh well. Better late than bodged.

That's a good feature, AX8 has a scene 1/2 toggle, similar Idea that I used a lot. Hope to see it on the HX stomp, there's no command center on the stomp though...

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

You can set something up so you get an email when it's ready.

Go here and check the appropriate box.

https://line6.com/account/emailpreferences/

I set it up for emails about the end of the first year of Helix ownership.  And yet, I still look - don't look - that's was the other voice in my head!

I'm excited about the new features, sure, but I'm more excited that they are continuing to work on and improve this product.  You could argue that some people buy it because line 6 does updates but I actually bought it for what it did at the time of purchase.  So I'm fine with them announcing in advance what they are releasing in the next update... even if it's months in advance.  For some it will save having to post in idea scale.   As with some of the others I'm most excited about the additions to command centre.   it'll get here and it'll be great...

The way I see it... The last day of Spring is June 20th and any day the update comes before that is a bonus not a disappointment. 

18 hours ago, Retro-Rick said:

I don't get why Line 6 announced this upgrade so many months ago - it's unnerving...  

IMO that is an odd thing to be "unnerved" about. They could have said nothing.... leaving you wondering if you would ever see another update ever again. Forever worried they might pull a Fractal and hide the next update inside a new hardware unit.

There are a couple of features in 2.8 that I plan on using extensively.... knowing about this update in advance gave me the chance to pre-plan how I might use it differently.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, codamedia said:

The way I see it... The last day of Spring is June 20th and any day the update comes before that is a bonus not a disappointment. 

IMO that is an odd thing to be "unnerved" about. They could have said nothing.... leaving you wondering if you would ever see another update ever again. Forever worried they might pull a Fractal and hide the next update inside a new hardware unit.

There are a couple of features in 2.8 that I plan on using extensively.... at least knowing about this update gives me the chance to pre-plan how I might use it differently.

Logic has no place on the internet...it interferes with all the baseless speculation. If we all started thinking about things, how would we get a decent gripe and whine off the ground? ;)

"The Gripe and Whine" would be a great name for a $hitty dive bar...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, codamedia said:

There are a couple of features in 2.8 that I plan on using extensively.... knowing about this update in advance gave me the chance to pre-plan how I might use it differently.

Plus, you know that if they truly hadn't said anything about any updates since the last one people would be posting about how unnerving the silence is. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kilrahi said:

Plus, you know that if they truly hadn't said anything about any updates since the last one people would be posting about how unnerving the silence is. 

We could sit here and check off one genuinely "unnerving" thing after another all day long. Much of the world is unnerving, to put it mildly. This however, doesn't even make the first cut.... and to any and everyone who's fortunate enough to have nothing better to complain about: Slàinte! You've won the game of life...

On 4/23/2019 at 11:10 AM, cruisinon2 said:

My free $hit isn't here yet, and I demand ANSWERS! 

(paid for by the Who Needs QC? Deliver Tomorrow Yesterday PAC) 

This is a bad take. You already paid for it.

• Downvote 2

44 minutes ago, BlueD said:

Perhaps we're misunderstanding you. You seem to think that L6 OWES us upgrades. L6 OWES us bug-fix updates. Nothing more. You paid for what was included in the most current update when you bought your unit. Every amp, every effect, every improvement (beyond bug-fixes) since then was VALUE ADDED. You get to say THANK YOU, not "It's about time!"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

Perhaps we're misunderstanding you. You seem to think that L6 OWES us upgrades. L6 OWES us bug-fix updates. Nothing more. You paid for what was included in the most current update when you bought your unit. Every amp, every effect, every improvement (beyond bug-fixes) since then was VALUE ADDED. You get to say THANK YOU, not "It's about time!"

Maybe you did. Most customers picked the Helix because one of the value propositions that Line6 advertised is that the unit would get better over time. Again, you and I paid for the updates already (if you think you haven't then you don't understand product development, I do it for a living...), If you don't care about that it's fine but let's not pretend it's not part of the deal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, BlueD said:

Most customers picked the Helix because one of the value propositions that Line6 advertised is that the unit would get better over time.

Since I don't remember them promising a never ending stream of new amps and effects, I went to their site and looked over the OFFICIAL marketing stuff. I don't see it. I'm not saying that no one from L6 ever said there would be new amps and effects, but I'm pretty sure that MOST CUSTOMERS didn't go over to TGP and read everything posted there in the run-up to the release. There were LOTS of pages, and I'm sure not going back 4 years to re-read them for the sake of argument, but if it's not in the OFFICIAL MARKETING MATERIALS it ain't real.

Fact is, I bought mine because I had FAITH that new amps and effects would happen, and I would've been very disappointed if that didn't happen. But the perception that they OWE us, and they'd better get their butts in gear to keep us happy is, IMHO, misguided entitlement mentality and, unfortunately, all too common. 

Yes I do understand product development. I also did it for a living. The costs of future product development that are or aren't rolled into the current cost of a product don't mean scratch to end users. You can't take a company to court over whether you got your money's worth from product development you thought was supposed to happen after your purchase, so let's not pretend that it's part of the deal!

Since they've already delivered LOTS of new amps and effects, even implied commitments have been met, and any new amps or effects are ADDED VALUE at this point.

Say "Thank you!".

• Upvote 1

I tend to be more laid back about all the views. Line 6 has, on occasion, advertised updates. They're competing against Fractal who has TONS of updates. 

Based on this, If a consumer says, "Look, they don't update enough for me in this modern world of updates, I'm getting off this train."

I get that. It's not really my view but I get that. Me? I bought the Stomp without even thinking one moment about updates.  Then when I found out a 2.8 was coming I was like, "Frick! I forgot that WAS a thing!" I try not to think about it, because I'm WAY excited. Still, when all is said and done, if there were never more updates I'm pretty sure I'd still consider it one of the coolest devices ever made.

There really is a balance though. People can get way too rude and demanding for what should be a courteous business transaction.  Now, I haven't seen that in this thread, but I have seen it.

A nice contrast is the Firehawk and Firehawk 1500 forums. To my knowledge (and I have searched) Line 6 NEVER promised any type of updates on those devices besides bug fixes.  They've never even indicated they could get new amps and effects. Yet, despite that, numerous consumers act like Line 6 has committed the worst atrocity possible by not adding new ones. Just head over there and you'll see post after post condemning them for that, when for all we know, IT'S FREAKING IMPOSSIBLE TO ADD NEW ONES. 

TO me, that's too far the other way. They should do bug fixes, yes and some bugs do still exist that should be fixed, but that's all I think they could reasonably owe those of us who purchased those. 

Anyway, I'm still excited for 2.8. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but I'll still be okay if Christmas ends up coming in July. 

Same old story I know from my Kemper days. :-)
Announced updates are often demanded with great impatience.  I don't think that makes much sense. 
It neither accelerates the release date nor does it spread a good mood.
A company would be ill-advised to expose itself to any pressure from users to adapt the planned development and testing procedure accordingly.

I have bought the device as it is now and I am satisfied with it. That it will be further developed was a purchase argument for me but not a condition.

There are many reasons where even planned release dates can be delayed.

I am looking forward to the new features but can wait ;-)

Oh cool, this conversation again. Yes, you should buy the device based on what it does today, not what you think it might do tomorrow. At the same time, Line 6 decided to step into a premium price point where competitors offer free (and in some cases, much faster, more frequent, and more expansive) updates with "bonus features", so its completely reasonable to expect them to follow suit. Hopefully their done expanding the product line for a minute so they can get all the software lined up and start dropping new amps/fx left and right a la Fractal.

12 hours ago, BlueD said:

9 hours ago, BlueD said:

Maybe you did. Most customers picked the Helix because one of the value propositions that Line6 advertised is that the unit would get better over time. Again, you and I paid for the updates already (if you think you haven't then you don't understand product development, I do it for a living...), If you don't care about that it's fine but let's not pretend it's not part of the deal.

No, it's a perfectly valid "take". I don't pay money for promises, or any other intangible concept for that matter... because promises have a disturbing tendency to not be met. The average everyday, relatively inconsequential "promise" is nearly worthless, but an advertising promise? Please...roadkill has greater value. I'm laughing so hard right now, it's difficult to type through the tears...

I pay for stuff that I can hold in my hand. What's in the box, is in the box...warts and all. 

Neither myself, nor anyone else is "entitled" to an evolving device. It's nice that development continues for a while, and I'll gladly accept whatever comes down the pike...but it's not a birthright. And you can spare me the lecture about product development. 

4 hours ago, schuha_at said:

Announced updates are often demanded with great impatience.  I don't think that makes much sense. 

It neither accelerates the release date nor does it spread a good mood.

I guess we all see it through a different lens.... It put me in a good mood when I saw the announcement.

There is a feature in this next update I am really looking forward to... and it will change how I use the Helix. I've already drawn up my roadmap on updating all my patches to utilize it the best way I can. If the product arrives in the Spring when they said it would (still nearly 2 month left in Spring) I can quickly implement my changes and be ready for my busy summer schedule. 

As for the great impatience it creates? That is the fault of the impatient, not the business. They said "spring" and spring equals "March 21st - June 20th". Last time I looked at the calendar... it was April :)

Same topic again, same points made.
Sometimes I think that I and the "I just expect bugfixes, everything else is a bonus" people, we seem to have bought different products called Helix, from different companies called Line6, with different histories, different markets, etc.
Also, we seem to read different press releases, posts on forums, etc.
Until L6 makes an official statement regarding that particular subject, I guess we'll continue living in parallel universes.

15 minutes ago, Inerzia said:

Until L6 makes an official statement regarding that particular subject,  I guess we'll continue living in parallel universes

Yes.... I guess we live in a parallel universe... because to me "until L6 makes an official statement regarding that particular subject"...means it's "pure assumption" to think you are guaranteed anything more than bug fixes. 

We all wish the Helix had a certain feature we want, some of us will make feature requests, some of us will vote on it,  none of us know what may or may not make it into the next update. I don't BUY anything based on that type of uncertainty. I bought the Helix for the features it had.... any new features ARE a bonus.... IMO :) 

55 minutes ago, Inerzia said:

Same topic again, same points made.
Sometimes I think that I and the "I just expect bugfixes, everything else is a bonus" people, we seem to have bought different products called Helix, from different companies called Line6, with different histories, different markets, etc.
Also, we seem to read different press releases, posts on forums, etc.
Until L6 makes an official statement regarding that particular subject, I guess we'll continue living in parallel universes.

An official statement regarding what exactly?

Line 6 said we would have 2.8 sometime this Spring.  We are 1/3 of the way through Spring.  There are two months left in Spring.  I haven't even mowed my lawn yet this year.  There is still a chance of frost.  Spring isn't even half way over yet.

Spring began on March 21.

Spring ends on June 21.

On June 22nd I might make an angry post if we don't have 2..8 yet.  But for now - since it's still the beginning of Spring, the sun is starting to shine longer, and the flowers and bunnies are popping up everywhere - I am happy.  Stop trying to bring us all down with your nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jonandtice said:

I haven't even mowed my lawn yet this year. 

Well I have... and now that I think about it, that damned mower has never had an update of any kind. I'm outraged! Anybody got John Deere's customer service #? I'm gonna give them a piece of my mind...;)

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

I started mowing my lawn yesterday (washington state, so I had to wait for the rain to subside). The lawn was so high I to push the mower at a raised angle on the first pass. The air filter cover vibrated off and got sucked into the blades along with the filter. I'm waiting for parts to arrive from Amazon. And now its started to rain again. If 2.8 arrives before the parts I'll have something to do while I'm waiting. If not, I'll keep hacking away at the grass while I wait for 2.8. Either way, life goes on. Brahhhhhh! Ob la di!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1