Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware Upgrade 2.8 - Blues :(

Retro-Rick

6 minutes ago, soundog said:

I started mowing my lawn yesterday (washington state, so I had to wait for the rain to subside). The lawn was so high I to push the mower at a raised angle on the first pass. The air filter cover vibrated off and got sucked into the blades along with the filter. I'm waiting for parts to arrive from Amazon. And now its started to rain again. If 2.8 arrives before the parts I'll have something to do while I'm waiting. If not, I'll keep hacking away at the grass while I wait for 2.8. Either way, life goes on. Brahhhhhh! Ob la di!

In a pinch there's always those $6 machetes at Harbor Freight...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

Oh cool, this conversation again. Yes, you should buy the device based on what it does today, not what you think it might do tomorrow. At the same time, Line 6 decided to step into a premium price point where competitors offer free (and in some cases, much faster, more frequent, and more expansive) updates with "bonus features", so its completely reasonable to expect them to follow suit. Hopefully their done expanding the product line for a minute so they can get all the software lined up and start dropping new amps/fx left and right a la Fractal.

I would say it's "completely reasonable" that many people would feel entitled to an update, knowing what little I know about the human condition. BUT, I'm a believer in going by what is said, not what people may think they are entitled to. So I would say it's not " completely reasonable" to expect them to follow suit. If it ain't said, shouldn't expect it. If you do do that kind of thing, be prepared for a lot of disappointment in life. Starting now I guess.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brue58ski said:

I would say it's "completely reasonable" that many people would feel entitled to an update, knowing what little I know about the human condition. BUT, I'm a believer in going by what is said, not what people may think they are entitled to. So I would say it's not " completely reasonable" to expect them to follow suit. If it ain't said, shouldn't expect it. If you do do that kind of thing, be prepared for a lot of disappointment in life. Starting now I guess.

I've already had this conversation across several forums. You jump into a market with known competitors, you gotta compete whether you make an official press release or not, or eventually you get dusted. I agree that when you buy something, buy it for what it does, not what you hope it will do. At the same time, when you buy into a market segment that's competitive and the previous competitors have established the status quo, you are going to be expected to "play ball".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I've already had this conversation across several forums. You jump into a market with known competitors, you gotta compete whether you make an official press release or not, or eventually you get dusted. I agree that when you buy something, buy it for what it does, not what you hope it will do. At the same time, when you buy into a market segment that's competitive and the previous competitors have established the status quo, you are going to be expected to "play ball".

Then, as I said, if that's the case, get ready for a bunch of disappointment in life. I know people/the marketplace will expect companies to "play ball", that's their nature. But I think you do yourself a disservice to expect things from people/companies that aren't said. You''ll be disappointed a lot. That's been my experience. I choose not to be disappointed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brue58ski said:

Then, as I said, if that's the case, get ready for a bunch of disappointment in life. I know people/the marketplace will expect companies to "play ball", that's their nature. But I think you do yourself a disservice to expect things from people/companies that aren't said. You''ll be disappointed a lot. That's been my experience. I choose not to be disappointed.

I'm not disappointed with Helix, I'm not waiting around for firmware updates. I just found out there was a 2.71 update like last week. All the people who come in with "Herpadurr, don't expect this company to do what this company does, herpadurr." are totally unnecessary, though. I think the OP's original word choice made it sound a little more dire than was intended, but the conversation that followed has been beat to death around here. L6 knows what they need to do to stay competitive in the platform. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I'm not disappointed with Helix, I'm not waiting around for firmware updates. I just found out there was a 2.71 update like last week. All the people who come in with "Herpadurr, don't expect this company to do what this company does, herpadurr." are totally unnecessary, though. I think the OP's original word choice made it sound a little more dire than was intended, but the conversation that followed has been beat to death around here. L6 knows what they need to do to stay competitive in the platform. 

I wasn't just refering to the Helix. I was talking about life in general, I thought that was clear. One constant with expectations is that you will be disappointed a lot if that's how you think.  As far as the OP goes, yeah, I agree with you there. That's why I just gave him a link to have an email sent when it's ready and not a finger wagging. "how dare you expect anything" lecture. It was really the other posts I was reffering to........

But how dare you people expect anythng!!!!!! (That was a joke)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I doubt it's in the dictionary, so I guess it depends on who you play scrabble with.

It's the noise redundant fanboys of ANYTHING make before they blindly defend some ridiculous point.

Herpadurr - "fanboi, not fanboy!"

I love it! I'm gonna use it every day!

Herpadurr Herpadurr Herpadurr Herpadurr Herpadurr Herpadurr

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2019 at 8:18 AM, codamedia said:

The way I see it... The last day of Spring is June 20th and any day the update comes before that is a bonus not a disappointment. 

IMO that is an odd thing to be "unnerved" about. They could have said nothing.... leaving you wondering if you would ever see another update ever again. Forever worried they might pull a Fractal and hide the next update inside a new hardware unit.

There are a couple of features in 2.8 that I plan on using extensively.... knowing about this update in advance gave me the chance to pre-plan how I might use it differently.

I hear you. I was pissed when the new editor for my Axe-FX Ultra that I had been looking forward to for so long because Fractal had been hyping it with all the additional bells, whistles, and bug fixes only worked if you purchased the at that time as yet unreleased Axe-FX II.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:36 PM, BlueD said:

Maybe you did. Most customers picked the Helix because one of the value propositions that Line6 advertised is that the unit would get better over time. Again, you and I paid for the updates already (if you think you haven't then you don't understand product development, I do it for a living...), If you don't care about that it's fine but let's not pretend it's not part of the deal.

If you do product dev for a living then you understand that there is no agreement binding the product to upgrades.  Line6 could mothball the updates at any point and none of us could do anything about it.  Likewise, they could potentially charge for feature upgrades and, again, nobody could do anything about it.  Therefore the updates, aside from security or stability patches, are absolutely not part of the deal.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, PiFromBRC said:

If you do product dev for a living then you understand that there is no agreement binding the product to upgrades.  Line6 could mothball the updates at any point and none of us could do anything about it.  Likewise, they could potentially charge for feature upgrades and, again, nobody could do anything about it.  Therefore the updates, aside from security or stability patches, are absolutely not part of the deal.

True, although the corporate battleground is littered with the remains of companies who killed their gold-egg-laying goose  by ignoring their customers and focussing only on profit. I don't believe Line 6 is one of those companies.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PiFromBRC said:

There is a big difference between what is legally required and what a true customer/company commitment entails.  

Again, I'm in no way pissed at Line 6, but just because I can't sue them if tomorrow they announce, "We got sick of how hard this beast is to update so *?!@#! you guys, we already have your money."

Yeah, I couldn't sue them, but I could think to myself, "Fractal does WAY better in this arena than Line 6. From now on my money goes there."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PiFromBRC said:

And I and many others could decide to never buy a Line6 product again. You can pull that lollipop maybe 1 or 2 times before it becomes the equivalent of corporate suicide.

• Like 1

We all know (or should be aware) that L6 is FAR from dropping development of the product.

What this is about is people being pushy and rude and threatening to take their business elsewhere (BYE BYE! NOBODY'LL MISS YA!) over release schedules for enhancements that WILL get here, WHEN THEY"RE READY! 

THEY DON'T OWE US! And they DO understand the realities of the market. Part of that reality is not releasing buggy product just to make pushy butt-heads happy!

I'm totally down with that! Rock what ya got and know that there's more coming IN THE FULLNESS OF TIME!

What's funny is that, those of us who've seen this every time there's an update due, know that when it gets here, no matter what's in it, a whole new flock of butt-heads will be up in arms whining about not getting the built-in coffee-maker and the free pony!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

We all know (or should be aware) that L6 is FAR from dropping development of the product.

What this is about is people being pushy and rude and threatening to take their business elsewhere (BYE BYE! NOBODY'LL MISS YA!) over release schedules for enhancements that WILL get here, WHEN THEY"RE READY! 

THEY DON'T OWE US! And they DO understand the realities of the market. Part of that reality is not releasing buggy product just to make pushy butt-heads happy!

I'm totally down with that! Rock what ya got and know that there's more coming IN THE FULLNESS OF TIME!

What's funny is that, those of us who've seen this every time there's an update due, know that when it gets here, no matter what's in it, a whole new flock of butt-heads will be up in arms whining about not getting the built-in coffee-maker and the free pony!

Damn! I never got my pony last time round, I’m almost sure that Digital Igloo promised we could have one. Or maybe that was the tuner in the Editor for Spikey!

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Oh, I'll get my pony... the are ways. ;)

I'm not speculating L6 is going to do that.  In fact I'd be pretty P.O.'d if they did (see what I did there?).  I'm just sort of over the entitled expectations clashing with the development cycle.  As others have said, I prefer a stable update over a rapid update.

(oh yeah...I totally forgot about the unicorn update...)

• Upvote 1

Retro-Rick,

If you haven't been run off yet by the responses you've gotten, welcome to the forum.

As you've no doubt been made aware, there are certain subjects you should not touch here. One of them is the frequency and/or perceived delay in upgrades to the Helix platform. If you do...…...  That being said, it's a great place to find most of the information you're looking for.

As for myself, I'm looking forward to the upgrade, and especially intrigued by the possibility (as hinted by Line 6 itself) of the HX stomp having more than 6 blocks with which to operate in the future.

Cheers!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tenorkeith said:

As for myself, I'm looking forward to the upgrade, and especially intrigued by the possibility (as hinted by Line 6 itself) of the HX stomp having more than 6 blocks with which to operate in the future.

Just to be clear, Digital Igloo has already stated that this update doesn't do that.

As much as you and I wish it would.

I'm into my second year with Helix and I still haven't stopped marveling at how good it is. Nor am I even remotely close to having explored it all, or in all likelihood, learned how to get the very best out of it yet. So I'm endlessly baffled by people griping about updates. To me, they are the gravy on the pie. Maybe it's an age thing - I'm 53, and spent decades dealing with the many shortcomings of various amps and cabs and pedals. To have that all just... go away has been a quietly but profoundly life-enhancing experience :-)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

21 hours ago, PiFromBRC said:

Let the 3.0 update requests begin.

20 hours ago, arislaf said:

I started it long time ago, with separate power amps...

Polyphonic effects, a feedbacker effect, an RTA, some method of displaying signal levels, more space for IRs, and maybe a more full featured synth model or three with easy to select instruments like strings, harmonica, flute, etc. would be at the top of my list.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 6:08 PM, rd2rk said:

Herpadurr - "fanboi, not fanboy!"

I love it! I'm gonna use it every day!

Herpadurr Herpadurr Herpadurr Herpadurr Herpadurr Herpadurr

In the UK, it is "R'eh, r'eh, r'eh", as though to suggest "this person is complaining". The most common behaviour I notice is the incorrect use of the word "Like". For example, it should be "He/She said", not "And he/she was like..". We call it Chavspeak (also known as Urban). Abbreviation in text messages is also very common. Ultimately, its just another way to demonstrate we cannot speak our own language.

• Upvote 1

On ‎04‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:38 PM, rd2rk said:

Wait, there is a built in coffee maker.  I missed that!  What about the motorized retractable awning?  Oh crap … I just became a Beavis.  Forgive all! ;-)

On 4/29/2019 at 5:57 AM, wilkinsi said:

In the UK, it is "R'eh, r'eh, r'eh", as though to suggest "this person is complaining". The most common behaviour I notice is the incorrect use of the word "Like". For example, it should be "He/She said", not "And he/she was like..". We call it Chavspeak (also known as Urban). Abbreviation in text messages is also very common. Ultimately, its just another way to demonstrate that language and communication are fluid and change over time.

FIFY

• Upvote 1