Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware Upgrade 2.8 - Blues :(

Retro-Rick

22 hours ago, datacommando said:

While we wait, here’s something that could be worth checking out.

https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/electric-impulses/?fbclid=IwAR1taUgW7zuhV8bDsIhd1IUdXW9QYHAI5GbqE1dT5o1CSJU2lqxb_R82Eug

Interesting idea?

Interesting now I am sure I am going to ask a stupid question here but I am old so forgive me. So if I want my Les Paul to sound like a Strat do I buy the Les Paul package or the Strat package and also the other way round if I want my strat to sound like a LesPaul?

1 hour ago, BigBob-Irwin said:

Interesting now I am sure I am going to ask a stupid question here but I am old so forgive me. So if I want my Les Paul to sound like a Strat do I buy the Les Paul package or the Strat package and also the other way round if I want my strat to sound like a LesPaul?

Hi Bob,

AFAIK, these are not a new item, apparently they have been available for a while. I just stuck the link in here as a distraction from the firmware update thread.

Anyhow, I guess you would need the “Strato” pack to use with your Lester. There is s thread on here where a guy comments about using them with his PRS and putting the IR first in the signal path to get the “single coil” effect.

Read this for more.

Hope this helps.

Oh, yeah, I’m old too.

They have till the end of June until they're late. Yeah, technically. They announced this about 3 or 4 months ago and for me it kind of made it seem like it was going to be released by now. Not that it would be here "right before spring ends". When I bought it I was told and under the impression that they were going to be adding some "big updates" and it was a very exciting time. I like my helix very much and I'm happy with what's included. But, when this update was announced I was already a bit disappointed. The main focus was to make the economy between their products healthier which is nice for those folks. 

But, that’s not quite what I imagined would be on the horizon. I imagined a few more Modern Hi-Gain amps, perhaps some cool Line 6 Originals, a nice drop pedal modelled effect, or anything else its seems to be lacking. The old Marshalls and Fenders I think we are good on. I think we have enough overdrives but we’ve got yet ANOTHER fender and 6 more OD’s. You know, just in case the traditionalist are satiated with this hi-tech product that one would think would be best marketed for the current generation who are all moving to modelers? 

So sometimes it feels like I’m waiting on that second date with a girl I’m not that crazy about wondering how I found myself in this mess to begin with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vonprater said:

I think we have enough overdrives but we’ve got yet ANOTHER fender and 6 more OD’s. . . So sometimes it feels like I’m waiting on that second date with a girl I’m not that crazy about wondering how I found myself in this mess to begin with. 

BUT BUT BUT but . . . King of Tone! 

To me that's like being disgruntled that you have to go on a second date with Scarlett Johannson, but this time she's wearing the Black Widow costume. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, silverhead said:

You don't need to have a second date with her. You can break up anytime. 

Would you rather Line 6 not say anything about pending updates and just drop them with no notice whatsoever?

Well at this point I won't be setting myself up for failure anymore. This was my first update announcement with Line 6. So, next time I see an update announcement "By End of 2019" I'll check in on January 1st, 2020 I guess. Maybe my expectations or perception about this product were wrong and that's on me.

14 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

BUT BUT BUT but . . . King of Tone! 

To me that's like being disgruntled that you have to go on second date with Scarlett Johannson, but this time she's wearing the Black Widow costume. 

I mean not really but I get you disagree. If I were dating Scarlett Johannson I'm sure I'd have better things to do than tweak my Plexi patch that sounds less like Van Halen than I'd admit to myself.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, vonprater said:

So sometimes it feels like I’m waiting on that second date with a girl I’m not that crazy about wondering how I found myself in this mess to begin with. 

Don't feel bad about breaking up with her. She won't be lonely for long.

You could also wind up being the guy who sees his ex in 6 months and wonders "What was I thinking?".

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, vonprater said:

They have till the end of June until they're late. Yeah, technically. They announced this about 3 or 4 months ago and for me it kind of made it seem like it was going to be released by now. Not that it would be here "right before spring ends". When I bought it I was told and under the impression that they were going to be adding some "big updates" and it was a very exciting time. I like my helix very much and I'm happy with what's included. But, when this update was announced I was already a bit disappointed. The main focus was to make the economy between their products healthier which is nice for those folks. 

But, that’s not quite what I imagined would be on the horizon. I imagined a few more Modern Hi-Gain amps, perhaps some cool Line 6 Originals, a nice drop pedal modelled effect, or anything else its seems to be lacking. The old Marshalls and Fenders I think we are good on. I think we have enough overdrives but we’ve got yet ANOTHER fender and 6 more OD’s. You know, just in case the traditionalist are satiated with this hi-tech product that one would think would be best marketed for the current generation who are all moving to modelers? 

Couldn't have stated it any better. Thank you, now back to Logic Pro X

• Like 1

Would you rather Line 6 not say anything about pending updates and just drop them with no notice whatsoever?

I've been thru that, here, and not so long ago (before DI). Nicely put, it stinks.

2 hours ago, vonprater said:

Nicely put.  We have more than enough Marshalls, and Fenders, in the Helix. The Revv is coming in the next update (part of it) but the Helix platform really does need more hi-gain options, especially modern hi-gain.  I love my Helix, but I am also going to state the areas where it lacks. Hi-gain is definitely one of them. (clarification: it does hi-gain just fine, just needs more options/flavors)

Hopefully throughout 2019 & 2020 L6 fills some gaps, and this Revv isn't the last hi-gain amp we get.

That said, I have found something that I really like in almost every update the Helix has gone through, and I appreciate every single improvement the Helix platform gets!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

Nicely put.  We have more than enough Marshalls, and Fenders, in the Helix. The Revv is coming in the next update (part of it) but the Helix platform really does need more hi-gain options, especially modern hi-gain.  I love my Helix, but I am also going to state the areas where it lacks. Hi-gain is definitely one of them. (clarification: it does hi-gain just fine, just needs more options/flavors)

Hopefully throughout 2019 & 2020 L6 fills some gaps, and this Revv isn't the last hi-gain amp we get.

That said, I have found something that I really like in almost every update the Helix has gone through, and I appreciate every single improvement the Helix platform gets!

Just a reminder to place your votes in all 10/20/30 of the "more hi-gain amps please" requests over on Ideascale!

This thread isn't really a Wish List, it's more for laughing at all the folks who've let their panties get in a twist waiting for the inevitable arrival of the next update! :-)

30 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Just a reminder to place your votes in all 10/20/30 of the "more hi-gain amps please" requests over on Ideascale!

This thread isn't really a Wish List, it's more for laughing at all the folks who've let their panties get in a twist waiting for the inevitable arrival of the next update! :-)

I'm aware. I understand how these forums work, (and honestly less, and less reason to visit them as time goes on) 

I have probably cast my vote in most of those on Ideascale. 

I was just agreeing, and commenting further on the post that I quoted. Also wasn't stating much of a wish list as much as just commenting there is an area that lacks in flavor/options. 

But carry on...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

What exactly compels you to have such a condescending tone with people that don't share your ideas? It's pretty unpleasant and I don't understand why you're so invested in dismissing other people's opinions like this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

I'm aware, I understand how these forums work, and I have probably cast my vote in most of those on Ideascale. 

I was just agreeing, and commenting further on the post that I quoted. Also wasn't stating much of a wish list as much as just commenting there is an area that lacks in flavor/options. 

But carry on...

I know, you've been around here long enough to know. But we all know how easily the thread COULD become a wish list, then they get mad that L6 DOESN'T LISTEN.......AND THEY'RE LATE..... AND THEY DON'T KEEP THEIR PROMISES.........AARGH!!!!

Just me carrying on....:-)

1 minute ago, BlueD said:

What exactly compels you to have such a condescending tone with people that don't share your ideas? It's pretty unpleasant and I don't understand why you're so invested in dismissing other people's opinions like this.

People like you, who spend your time being offended and then jumping in people's faces for what your negativity causes you to IMAGINE that we're thinking. Seems you'd like to be someone's CHAMPION. Instead, why not:

A) contribute something positive

B) examine your sense of humor

Why you picked me to jump on goes to other discussions we've had. Get over it!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, BlueD said:

Snark seems to be default language this forum has adopted.

But, I need no champion, I said my piece on the matter. 

5 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

Snark seems to be default language this forum has adopted.

But, I need no champion, I said my piece on the matter. 

Hope you didn't see my response to YOU as snarky. That was not my intent.

This is generally one of the nicest forums around. Have you ever been over to Gearslutz? SNARKY as in attack trained rottweilers!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Hope you didn't see my response to YOU as snarky. That was not my intent.

This is generally one of the nicest forums around. Have you ever been over to Gearslutz? SNARKY as in attack trained rottweilers!

Not really, I was merely commenting in general. 

I have spent time with several forums, and honestly every single one I go to (even ones that use to be great) are following the same trend. Snark disguised as wit is gaining ground over helpful information.

Gearslutz, no I have not been there, but I see this trend at these forums. I have seen this trend at Sevenstring forums, and I have seen this trend on thegearpage.

The best forum I have been apart of is Imageline forum, however it is even starting to happen over there. 

I don't intend them to get any better, I just see less, and less reason to be active in them. 

12 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

I have spent time with several forums, and honestly every single one I go to (even ones that use to be great) are following the same trend. Snark disguised as wit is gaining ground over helpful information.

Gearslutz, no I have not been there, but I see this trend at these forums. I have seen this trend at Sevenstring forums, and I have seen this trend on thegearpage.

The best forum I have been apart of is Imageline forum, however it is even starting to happen over there. 

I don't intend them to get any better, I just see less, and less reason to be active in them. 

I remember as a kid watching the variety shows on TV. Guys like Alan King and Don Rickles were incredibly popular. I never thought they were funny. The line between "snarky" and "witty" is a fine one, and everybody's perceptions are different. I try to remember to use a smiley when it isn't obvious, but sometimes even that doesn't get it over.

14 hours ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

Thank you for saying this. It's like mob mentality this intellectual wit pissing contest. 

I'm championing for Line 6 and the Helix. I'd also like to add the metal community is the most responsible for popularizing switching to modelling as an overall amp replacement. Do you have any ideal how many Helixs would be sold this year if Premier Guitar did a rig Rundown of Misa Mansoor, and he had a Helix Floor in his pedalboard? 

• Like 1

There is definitely some disconnect I think between people being intentionally sarcastic, people not getting the intention and getting butthurt, and then a bunch of silly arguing over dumb stuff in most internet forums. The Gear Page is about the worst because of the broad spectrum of ages/genre players. 

14 minutes ago, vonprater said:

I'm championing for Line 6 and the Helix. I'd also like to add the metal community is the most responsible for popularizing switching to modelling as an overall amp replacement. Do you have any ideal how many Helixs would be sold this year if Premier Guitar did a rig Rundown of Misa Mansoor, and he had a Helix Floor in his pedalboard? 

Sometimes it seems like the metal/djent music business is the only thing keeping some companies, especially smaller pedal builders and IR makers, in business. But those guys have realized that in a niche genre you need the income from signature gear to actually continue a career in music.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

...people being intentionally sarcastic, people not getting the intention and getting butthurt, and then a bunch of silly arguing over dumb stuff...

With your permission, I would like to submit this to Merriam-Webster as the official definition of “The Internet”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, wilkinsi said:

What is/was the purpose of 6 months' notice to this update? Why not just update the appropriate thread when its actually released?

I believe that the announcement was for the sake of NAMM. 

10 minutes ago, wilkinsi said:

What is/was the purpose of 6 months' notice to this update? Why not just update the appropriate thread when its actually released?

If you read through this threads earlier comments, you'll find your answer. 

1 hour ago, wilkinsi said:

What is/was the purpose of 6 months' notice to this update? 

Just to pi$$ you off... did it work? ;)

Nobody will ever be satisfied with how it's handled... the alternative is complete radio silence, and there would be whining and sniveling about that, too.

"Whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy isn't L6 telling us anything?!?!?!?!?!? I've got 38.7 gigs coming up, and I need to know when I'm gonna get the new Wankelmaster Overdrive model!!!!"...insert indignant huff here...;) 

They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Just to pi$$ you off... did it work? ;)

Nobody will ever be satisfied with how it's handled... the alternative is complete radio silence, and there would be whining and sniveling about that, too.

"Whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy isn't L6 telling us anything?!?!?!?!?!? I've got 38.7 gigs coming up, and I need to know when I'm gonna get the new Wankelmaster Overdrive model!!!!"...insert indignant huff here...;)  

I wanna know how the '.7' gig goes, lol....

Is that where you are playing in the middle of the 3rd set when your phone alerts you to an email about a  thread update and low and behold its the release of 2.8 and you immediately shed your guitar, grab your Helix and run home to try and quickly update before the gig is over so you can return with the  MORE brootalz tonez you thought you were getting when you bought it over a year ago? 

P.S. no tones were actually constructed, edited/tweaked during this message.  My Helix was not turned on, or hurt during the production of this message.  Please digest the content of this post at your own discretion. 

• Haha 3

So far there's only 13 requests on Ideascale for the Wankelmaster Overdrive. If each of us posts a new request, we might attain the minimum of 28 requests required to get L6's attention!

POST SOON! POST OFTEN! VOTE FOR EVERTHING!

• Haha 1

I can appreciate the anticipation. It’s like knowing that Christmas is coming, it could be at any moment... but there’s no hint or indication except that it’s sometime this spring... maybe early summer... but could be any moment. I’m really excited about the upcoming update. And while I wouldn’t call it unnerving, there is an anticipation and an excitement involved. And for some people that anticipation and excitement can lead to a bit of a let down at the realization that Christmas still hasn’t come yet. But it could... at any moment...

• Like 2

I actually think L6 has done a great job of updating this unit over time. I bought mine back in February of 2016. right before 1.06 came out.

Since then they have added a ton of amps, effects, and functionality to the Helix as well as introducing HX Effects, Helix Stomp and Helix Native (which I also have in my pro tools setup).

They have also added quite a few high gain amps for those of us who like it nasty. The Cali IV, the 2204 Mod, the Fatality, Archetype, Badonk, Placater, etc. It already came with Quite a few from Soldano to Mesa to Bogner to Engl, 5150, Several original models, etc etc....right out of the gate..  Now they are throwing Revv into the mix?

That doesn't include the massive amount of effects added.

I'm pretty happy so far and I'm very excited to integrate it with my DT-50 head.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 5/10/2019 at 2:34 PM, cruisinon2 said:

It’s exactly this. When they keep their development agenda close to the vest, it’s a constant stream of threads whining about how we don’t know what they’re up to, don’t know if they are even planning any more updates, how we are entitled to endless and frequent updates for free and how Line 6 should be submitting routine status reports to every Helix owner on how the development of the next batch of free stuff is coming along and when it will be available. So now they have told us well in advance exactly what is coming down the pipe and a time frame within which we can expect to see it, and now it’s complaints that they would dare to tease us with upcoming material and outrage that it isn’t all here and ready to go right now even though there are still 6 weeks or so in their announced window. I wouldn’t know how to satisfy this lot either.

5 hours ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

I wouldn’t know how to satisfy this lot either.

Can't be done. There's no putting the Entitlement Genie back in the bottle. An entire generation has been raised to believe that the world is their ashtray. It will only get worse...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

If it means them checking things as best they can before release then I'm more than happy to wait.  I have a NUX Cerberus and they've just released the new firmware and 'improved' editor, only to find that the combined lot has more bugs than an Australian jungle!

• Haha 1