Jump to content
Retro-Rick

Helix Firmware Upgrade 2.8 - Blues :(

Recommended Posts

I seriously cannot for the life of me understand why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over getting new amps all the time.... what is it you cannot get out of the helix right now?  It has every flavor you need covered, just learn how to dial it in. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, rucmas said:

...just learn how to dial it in. 

 

Amen! It takes months/years of dedicated, focused use to really learn an amplifier, real or modeled. Even a new pedal can have a learning curve of many weeks. In the "real world", few of us are ever in a position to sit in a room with 50+ amps every day and pick the one we want; we get an amp and we learn how to wring every last thing out of it. Owning two amps is tall cotton. The expectation seems to be that when we select an amp in Helix it will magically sound like it was dialed in to our gear and environment by an expert, but in reality it is still our job to become that expert. More amps will not eliminate the need to actually learn how to use them.....

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

Amen! It takes months/years of dedicated, focused use to really learn an amplifier, real or modeled. Even a new pedal can have a learning curve of many weeks. In the "real world", few of us are ever in a position to sit in a room with 50+ amps every day and pick the one we want; we get an amp and we learn how to wring every last thing out of it. Owning two amps is tall cotton. The expectation seems to be that when we select an amp in Helix it will magically sound like it was dialed in to our gear and environment by an expert, but in reality it is still our job to become that expert. More amps will not eliminate the need to actually learn how to use them.....

 

From my first Pod to now, I've always figured I would need to spend at least a full day with an amp to try and get what I can out of it. Saving whatever I thought was interesting and listening to them again one or two days later. Just to have new ears listen to it from a fresh perspective. It is time consuming but it's been the best way for me to learn really what the amps can do.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rucmas said:

I seriously cannot for the life of me understand why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over getting new amps all the time.... what is it you cannot get out of the helix right now?  It has every flavor you need covered, just learn how to dial it in. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How dare you suggest that no one is deserving of instant gratification, delivered yesterday, at someone else's expense!!!!...Now where's my safe space and box of crayons?!?! ;)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

How dare you suggest that no one is deserving of instant gratification, delivered yesterday, at someone else's expense!!!!...Now where's my safe space and box of crayons?!?! ;)

 

Is this horse dead yet or can we expect the beating to continue a tad longer?

 

If I ever need an example of "circle jerk" I can point to this thread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BlueD said:

 

Is this horse dead yet or can we expect the beating to continue a tad longer?

 

If I ever need an example of "circle jerk" I can point to this thread.

This circle jerk start a long time ago and probably won't end until there is a new generation of Line 6 modelers. Then it will start all over again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BlueD said:

 

Is this horse dead yet or can we expect the beating to continue a tad longer?

 

If I ever need an example of "circle jerk" I can point to this thread.

 

Hey, it's Cowboy Troll, with a fresh pile of ill-humored negativity to dump on our party!

 

You must be enjoying it, 'cause you keep coming back, but in case it's simply because you're technologically challenged, there's a black box at the top right of each page that says "FOLLOWING". Just click on it, then click "UNFOLLOW" at the bottom right of that dialog.

 

BYE BYE!

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

 

Hey, it's Cowboy Troll, with a fresh pile of ill-humored negativity to dump on our party!

 

You must be enjoying it, 'cause you keep coming back, but in case it's simply because you're technologically challenged, there's a black box at the top right of each page that says "FOLLOWING". Just click on it, then click "UNFOLLOW" at the bottom right of that dialog.

 

BYE BYE!

Not on mobile. Besides, I assumed this was a forum of Line6 customers, not devotees. I must have taken a wrong turn and ended up in the cult section, I'll head for the exit as soon as I figure out the lollipop UI of the mobile version of this forum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BlueD said:

 

Is this horse dead yet or can we expect the beating to continue a tad longer?

 

If I ever need an example of "circle jerk" I can point to this thread.

 

And you? If your goal is to let it go, then you're failing miserably yourself... round and round we go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlueD said:

Not on mobile. Besides, I assumed this was a forum of Line6 customers, not devotees. I must have taken a wrong turn and ended up in the cult section, I'll head for the exit as soon as I figure out the lollipop UI of the mobile version of this forum.

C'mon man! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

We all float down here.

Or something.

Doesn't matter what gear forum you end up on, there will always be the guys who suck the manufacturer wang to no end. If its any consolation its worse on TGP, and there's other brand ball lickers that just wanna fight about whose digital amp sims have the nicer booty and whatnot.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

C'mon man! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

We all float down here.

Or something.

Doesn't matter what gear forum you end up on, there will always be the guys who suck the manufacturer wang to no end. If its any consolation its worse on TGP, and there's other brand ball lickers that just wanna fight about whose digital amp sims have the nicer booty and whatnot.

 

Not sure where you're coming from with that.

 

You seem to be calling some of us "guys who suck the manufacturer wang" and "brand ball lickers" because we're laughing at the folks who are constantly whining about "where's my update" EVERY TIME there's an update due (not even OVERdue).

 

Kind of like yelling at the sky 'cause it's raining. The sun will come out when it's ready, and the update won't get here any faster for dumping on L6 for not providing instant gratification.

 

I've heard that turkeys sometimes drown because they stare up at the rain with their mouths open...... ;-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

 

Not sure where you're coming from with that.

 

You seem to be calling some of us "guys who suck the manufacturer wang" and "brand ball lickers" because we're laughing at the folks who are constantly whining about "where's my update" EVERY TIME there's an update due (not even OVERdue).

 

Kind of like yelling at the sky 'cause it's raining. The sun will come out when it's ready, and the update won't get here any faster for dumping on L6 for not providing instant gratification.

 

I've heard that turkeys sometimes drown because they stare up at the rain with their mouths open...... ;-)

 

 

And then you got the guys who take everything personally, lol. I get it, I'm definitely not uptight about when/how I get my updates (as long as they stay free, that is), but I personally preferred it when L6 didn't announce anything and just dropped stuff when it was finished, so there wouldn't be these threads in the first place, or at least they wouldn't go on so long. I love my Helix, I loved it the way it was when I bought it on from the GC preorder (even though GC was crappy about honoring the preorder instead of shipping all their first units to their "Platinum Stores" for off-the-floor sale), and I've appreciated all the little updates that have come along. The tuner was about the only one so far that's really had anything to do with my use, but I still appreciate it. It's one of those things where, should you choose to jump into the conversation, you're already playing a loser's game no matter which side you're on. If its seriously angering people from either side of the conversation, maybe those people need to take a few days off the internet, lol.

At least its not some dude who already knows the Helix sounds like crap and then posts videos of obviously doctored studio tones and then won't take anyone's advice and then deletes the thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

 

At least its not some dude who already knows the Helix sounds like crap and then posts videos of obviously doctored studio tones and then won't take anyone's advice and then deletes the thread. 

 

Amen to that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's just mad because there's no tuner in the editor....

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

So the Helix is getting better?

Helix gets better and better every update, but anyone can make anything sound bad if they don't take the "time" to learn how to use it.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread was better when it was about lawn mowers....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dickbanks said:

This thread was better when it was about lawn mowers....

EQ your lollipop wrong and you'll get the new Lawnboy 2.5hp tone...lol. 

 

EQ it correctly and you'll get the nice Marshall Chainsaw ready to mow down anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 8:41 AM, soundog said:

I started mowing my lawn yesterday (washington state, so I had to wait for the rain to subside). The lawn was so high I to push the mower at a raised angle on the first pass. The air filter cover vibrated off and got sucked into the blades along with the filter. I'm waiting for parts to arrive from Amazon. And now its started to rain again. If 2.8 arrives before the parts I'll have something to do while I'm waiting. If not, I'll keep hacking away at the grass while I wait for 2.8. Either way, life goes on. Brahhhhhh! Ob la di!

 

So, its been over a month, and probably time for a lawn mower update. The parts for my Honda HRX217 came in and I got the mower running again. I found out it runs better on 92 octane, so bought a gallon of that. I just mowed the lawn yesterday (its growing faster now), and while I was mowing and emptying the bag over and over, I started thinking that it would be nice to tear out my lawn and put in sort of a natural meadow. You know, wildflowers and native grasses and that kind of sheet. I figure it would be good for the planet and animals, and I wouldn't have to mow as much. Sort of like letting it go to weeds, but really pretty weeds. If the neighbors complained I could tell them I'm just trying to do my part. And since the Helix update isn't out yet, a project like that would give me something to do for the next couple of weeks, plus it would be good healthy work. Win win.

 

So I went to the Battle Ground public library (they just remodeled with new carpeting and paint, and it came out pretty good) and checked out a book called "How to Create a Wildlife Garden." I started reading it in bed last night to look for ideas, and I swear the font size is only about 6 pt. Really tiny type! Even the pictures are tiny. The book is like 250 pages, and there is no way I can read this book. So now I'm thinking of getting back on Amazon to see what I can find.

 

The weather is really nice here today.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I moved to southern Arizona and now my lawn is rocks. They don't grow and you never have to fertilize them. It is the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

I moved to southern Arizona and now my lawn is rocks. They don't grow and you never have to fertilize them. It is the best.

 

And you have all the ammunition right outside yer front door!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

I moved to southern Arizona and now my lawn is rocks. They don't grow and you never have to fertilize them. It is the best.

 

Your lawn ROCKS!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do envy the Arizona lawn, especially as I look out on this lovely Saturday with a strong desire to mess with my tones, but a nagging cricket in my mind pointing out how bad the front lawn looks. 

 

Also, just a word of warning to people. As soon as 2.8 drops I'm starting a 2.9 thread each week in the hopes that I can be the next "update thread" with 4 million replies. It is quite an honor when you think about it. 

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 4:19 PM, soundog said:

 

So, its been over a month, and probably time for a lawn mower update. The parts for my Honda HRX217 came in and I got the mower running again. I found out it runs better on 92 octane, so bought a gallon of that. I just mowed the lawn yesterday (its growing faster now), and while I was mowing and emptying the bag over and over, I started thinking that it would be nice to tear out my lawn and put in sort of a natural meadow. You know, wildflowers and native grasses and that kind of sheet. I figure it would be good for the planet and animals, and I wouldn't have to mow as much. Sort of like letting it go to weeds, but really pretty weeds. If the neighbors complained I could tell them I'm just trying to do my part. And since the Helix update isn't out yet, a project like that would give me something to do for the next couple of weeks, plus it would be good healthy work. Win win.

 

So I went to the Battle Ground public library (they just remodeled with new carpeting and paint, and it came out pretty good) and checked out a book called "How to Create a Wildlife Garden." I started reading it in bed last night to look for ideas, and I swear the font size is only about 6 pt. Really tiny type! Even the pictures are tiny. The book is like 250 pages, and there is no way I can read this book. So now I'm thinking of getting back on Amazon to see what I can find.

 

The weather is really nice here today.


Hows the 2.8 lawn? can we get an update?

I've had to mow my lawn every 3.0 days right now in Ontario, Canada.    We also just started to grow weed here now, although the lack of sun is putting the end product behind schedule. 

Hey they can grow that stuff in Cali right?  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, rucmas said:

We also just started to grow weed here now,

 

 

We are allowed to have weeds and dandelions all over Texas. ; )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spikey said:

 

 

 

We are allowed to have weeds and dandelions all over Texas. ; )

 

I'm convinced I was smuggled out of Texas as an infant and dumped in NY... it is wretched here, lol. The older I get, the more I realize I'm behind enemy lines...;)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

I'm convinced I was smuggled out of Texas as an infant and dumped in NY... it is wretched here, lol. The older I get, the more I realize I'm behind enemy lines...;)

 

I was born in NYC. I escaped with demons hot on my trail. If you see an opening, RUN!

It's better out here, but keep in mind, the pizza SUCKS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

but keep in mind, the pizza SUCKS!

 

Just put some "Tylers" BBQ on it, problem solved!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rd2rk said:

 

I was born in NYC. I escaped with demons hot on my trail. If you see an opening, RUN!

It's better out here, but keep in mind, the pizza SUCKS!

 

What about the bagels? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

What about the bagels? ;)

 

Same same, bagel chains rule. You'll also look long and hard for a good pastrami sandwich. In part because there's no good rye bread.

Want a meatball hero? Can you spell S-U-B-W-A-Y? EEEWW!!!

Sausage/veal cutlet/chicken parm/egg plant hero? FUGGEDDABOUT IT!

A proper old-fashioned deep fried Calzone? As I typed that my neighbor's arteries constricted.

 

OTOH, if you're into healthy salads, burritos and PHO......

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

It is wretched here, lol. The older I get, the more I realize I'm behind enemy lines...;)

Funny. That is exactly how I feel about Louisiana (where I was born), and most of the South & Southeast.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

Funny. That is exactly how I feel about Louisiana (where I was born), and most of the South & Southeast.  ;)

 

Never been, but was married to a beautiful cajun lady from New Orleans.

Best and worst times of my life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rd2rk said:

 

Never been, but was married to a beautiful cajun lady from New Orleans.

Best and worst times of my life!

 

Got to be an whole albums worth of songs right there!  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, datacommando said:

 

Got to be an whole albums worth of songs right there!  ;-)

 

I'd call it "Breakfast with Jack and Coke".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

 

I'd call it "Breakfast with Jack and Coke".

 

So you've been to Mardi Gras...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

So you've been to Mardi Gras...;)

 

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

 

I'd call it "Breakfast with Jack and Coke".

 

 

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, datacommando said:

 

 

 

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

 

Indeed!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, datacommando said:

 

 

 

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

You do an you will clean it up Mister!

 

 

; )

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, spikey said:

You do an you will clean it up Mister!

 

 

; )

 

That would require a large quantity of Jack and Coke plus an uncertain amount of voodoo!

Edited by datacommando

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 10:34 PM, cruisinon2 said:

 

Just to pi$$ you off... did it work? ;)

 

Nobody will ever be satisfied with how it's handled... the alternative is complete radio silence, and there would be whining and sniveling about that, too.

 

"Whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy isn't L6 telling us anything?!?!?!?!?!? I've got 38.7 gigs coming up, and I need to know when I'm gonna get the new Wankelmaster Overdrive model!!!!"...insert indignant huff here...;) 

 

They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't...

 

Hey, I was just askin'. I tend not to notice this with other software developers. I don't gig either. Besides, I'm far more concerned about the functionality of the hardware/software in these updates  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 5:01 AM, datacommando said:

That would require a large quantity of Jack and Coke

 

Those that mix Coke with their Jack are forever banished from the green room :)

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×