Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix MIDI interface for AxeFX Standard via AxeEdit

crypto90

Hi everyone. 

I'm having an issue connecting my trusty old AxeFX standard to my PC via the Helix Rack midi ports so i can edit the axe's patches with AxeEdit. It just wont connect, 

At most, after trying every possible settings in the MIDI setup on the helix rack, is that axe edit will send change tempo messages but that's it, no syncing no nothing. 

Axe Edit works fine if i connect it directly to my 6i6 mk2 interface via midi but not through my helix rack.

Helix is set on channel 1 and axe fx on channel 2. I've changed the channels all day yesterday, but still no dice.

Any ideeas ? 

43 minutes ago, crypto90 said:

Yes, i've connected both cables, Helix midi out/thru -> AxeFX Midi IN; Axe FX Midi Out -> Helix Midi In. 

I'm assuming that the Helix is connected to the computer via USB directly (not thru the 6i6).

The Helix MIDI OUT/THRU will send a signal from the MIDI IN (connected to the AXE OUT) out thru both the DIN and (if enabled) USB to the computer. It doesn't pass the signal back from the computer via USB to the OUT/THRU and back to the AXE. IOW - the Helix THRU is one-way only. 

You're going to need the 6i6 to use the editor.

9 hours ago, crypto90 said:

Helix is set on channel 1 and axe fx on channel 2

As always with MIDI, devices only communicate if set to the same channel (or OMNI). But that's not the problem here.

EDIT: If you have other reasons to connect the AXE thru the Helix, and your editor is able to independently select IN Port and OUT Port, you could try using both the Helix and the 6i6 by connecting the 6i6 OUT to the AXE IN. Signal flow would then be: 

AXE OUT -> Helix IN -> Helix DIN OUT -> 6i6 IN (or Helix USB OUT to the computer) -> Editor IN Port -> Editor OUT Port -> USB to 6i6 DIN  OUT -> AXE IN

20 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Axe Edit works by using MIDI Sysex messages. The Helix won't pass those messages through.

Why am I not surprised?

Am I correct about the one-way nature of the THRU connector?

OP - Looks like you're stuck with the 6i6 - BUT if you still need to connect to the Helix from the AXE for non-edit reasons, MIDI Solutions has MIDI mixers, and maybe cheaper versions on Amazon.

That would defeat the purpose really, i bought the rack version mainly to centralize my setup to the L6 Helix Rack, that includes editing the AxeFX through my helix midi.

I've read tones of reviews glorifying the Helix as the all-in-one solution and as a capable soundcard and midi interface. Guess it's not what it was to be. 

thank you all for your replies, you've been of a great help. Hoping the L6 guys can integrate the full midi capabilities in the future updates, until then i'll take reviews with some grains of salt from now on